Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant: and Other Poems
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mandolin Orange iPhone 7 Tile Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Wedding Store Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 9, 2006
What's an umbrellaphant? What's a panthermometer? How about an Ocelock?

Take a bunch of words and scramble them up. Give them a definition with a humorous twist and you've got Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant and Other Poems.

Fun poems about quirky combinations of animals with musical instruments, rain gear, nature and other objects will tie those tongues and make your child laugh. Get silly with your kids by reading the poems or let your readers in progress take a stab at reading the poems themselves.

If the unusual descriptions, like what happens when you cross a shoe and a hornet, don't get you, the illustrations will. The creative drawings are humorous on their own.

Add in the poems and you'll never look at a clock and an octopus the same way again. They form a clocktopus, in case you were wondering.
My kids, girl age 8 and boy age 11 both enjoy this cd. Its has the right amount of absurdity and humor to appeal to both of them. It has 56 tracks, three total books. Behold the Bold Umrellapant, What a Day it was at School and Scranimals for an hour long cd. Your kids will want to look at the books while they listen, at least the first time. If your kids like Shel Silverstein, they will like this cd as well.
on September 13, 2016
Jack Prelutsky books have become a special bond between my 6 year old son and I. He has this book, Scranimals, and Stardines, and we both love the silly poetry. We both also like music, so the rhythm of the poems is fun as we can almost sing it. He loves the wackiness and thoroughly enjoys the pictures. The silly names of the animals are fun for him to try and sound out, so not only is it fun for me to read to him, but he also is learning about words as he reads it to me, without even realizing it. I'd buy any book by Prelutsky and recommend them for anyone with children of any age (my 10 year old daughter loves them as well).
on June 11, 2008
I enjoy Jack Prelutsky--he's clever and entertaining for children and adults alike. This is a whimsical collection of ani-jects or ob-imals (take your pick!), very inventive and enjoyable.
on November 3, 2012
Any kid who reads/hears the first half of this book is bound to have a magnetic attraction to it. The second half is just really good, but the first half is inspired to such a degree that it makes me rather sad that I settled/compromised on other poetry book purchases with regrettable flaws and weaknesses. Wordplay, hints of science, fanciful images, rich layerings of everyday and exotic elements... I previously imagined the kind of excellence found in this book to be too unreasonable an expectation. For you Shel Silverstein fans? Expect no less than the best! Add this to your collection.
on April 13, 2014
When they are laughing, they are learning.

This wonderful book of Jack Prelutsky poems combines his imaginary animals with their impossible capabilities and showcases them with outstanding illustrations. This couldn't be better.

I'm a read-aloud mom with a family of boys, and we love these poems. We filled a mealtime with laughter and fun (and big vocabulary words!) reading these. Give them a try!

This would be a great teacher present for your child's excellent teacher.
on June 29, 2014
We all know and love Jack Prelutsky, or we should! We know the one time children's poet laureate as a master of English language and rhyme but alas the man's talent extends even further into the musical arts. One would think that a children's book must always be read with accompanying pictures. Listening to Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant poems and songs was a great joy WITHOUT the pictures. Brava Mr Prelutsky, brava.
on June 15, 2008
The poem "panthermometer" is a great intro into measuring temperature. My kids at home love them all. Great post modern looking collage artwork as well.
on May 2, 2010
Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant is a collection of quirky poems about inanimate object animals such as the above Clocktopus. The poems are clever and hilarious--of course!--and the illustrations by Carin Berger are equally striking and creative. I think my vocabulary increases every time I read something by Jack Prelutsky, and not just with Lewis Carroll-esque words.
on May 18, 2007
I only recently discovered Jack Prelutsky and would just like to say, "where have you been all my life?" His books are a delight to read, especially aloud, because of the spectacular words he chooses. It's like the verbal equivalent of the best dessert you've ever had.