Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Color: Silver|Change

on October 10, 2008
I purchased the PP400 preamp for my new receiver which does not have a phono input (preamp), like most others in the same situation. The preamp is very nicely packaged. There is too much HUMMM. My background is electronics so I know what the reason is from the start. I had suspected it to be the case even before I purchased it. I cut the cord between the power supply and the preamp and inserted a filter circuit in between. So much for the warranty! For those who can understand it, the circuit is just a one transistor capacitance multiplier. The ripple (hum) was reduced from 50mv to under 2mv. The solution is not perfect but now I can live with it. I found that experimenting with grounding also help to reduce hum. Try attaching the ground wire to different points on the receiver chassie. Be sure to reduce the volume as you move the grounding around so you will not blow out the speakers or your ear drums.

I am rather surprised, after reading the other reviews that not more hum complains were launchased. With that much hum on the power supply, hum is unavoidable. I am giving a full 5 stars on the preamp itself. The lack of filtering on the power supply dropped the rating to 3 stars overall.
1818 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2016
Very poor quality phono stage -- please take this tiny bit of advice, SPEND MORE MONEY... -- I think I was sucked in by the many 5 stars reviews, but I'm now realizing that folks that are giving 5 star reviews to this product actually don't know what should be coming from there speakers... and anemic, noisy, low output signal is not what should be coming out of my speakers(Focal Solo 6s being driven by a Benchmark DAC) -- I guess because I don't listen to vinyl a lot I thought I could get by, but after a year it has become unbearable-- Behringer's reputation always proceeds it for producing cheap, not great sounding stuff... if you need to accomplish something with audio, not worried about the quality and don't have a big budget Behringer is the way to go -- so they get a lot of the YAY!! It works crowd... or maybe people that just don't know how their old records should sound? I don't know -- it's fine to be on a budget but if you're playing vinyl these days I suspect you might care a bit about how it sounds -- and if this is all you can afford today, save up for an upgrade because you're being cheated out of full enjoyment of your music--

I've added photos from every gain stage in my system, you can see the fader rest at zero at the input and output stages-- you can see the DAC is turned to full blast, I should be pinned against the wall -- but this setting rendered sound that was comfortable to listen to... the sound stage is narrow and the bass is poor -- there's also quite a bit of self noise coming from the preamp when nothing is playing -- SOOOOOOO....

I DO NOT RECOMMEND...this one is whikkity whikkity whack!!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 25, 2017
 This works great for what I needed, which is a small compact setup for my office with just an old pioneer turntable and a set of powered speakers. I did not want to use a separate receiver. Once I hooked everything up properly there is no buzzing and the speakers that I paired them with sound amazing.
review imagereview image
on May 27, 2010
I bought and returned several "budget audiophile" phono stages lately and was very disappointed in most of them. I had to buy this just to see if my suspicions were correct and it would be just as good as some of them. Well, to me it sounds just as good or better than many of them. It is quiet in my system, no hum. It's only faults are maybe a slight lack of muscle in the bass and gain is on the lowish side. Other than that, it sounds very "musical". Things sound basically the way they should sound, just a little "sizzle" on the top end due to the very basic RIAA equalization circuitry in all lower-priced phono stages. But, no nasties ever "take the lead" here and the sound is very enjoyable and non-fatiguing overall. Absolutely incredible for twice the price or more! It seemed to smooth out even further after a few days of break-in. I also tried the $50.00 Audio Technica unit out of curiosity and because I'm a huge fan of many of their cartridges. The Audio Technica sounded slightly more dynamic and extended at the frequency extremes, but just "dry" and not half as "musical" IMO. It had faults and a brightness I found distracting and fatiguing over time. I can't stress enough what a bargain I think this little box is! Match this up with a decent turntable and Audio Technica AT95E cartridge (another HUGE bargain) and you'll have a better than average sounding vinyl rig at an amazing price.
99 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2015
Before I purchased this amplifier, I considered building my own. There are tons of phono preamplifier designs which are easily found using a Google Image search. Many of the better ones have two op-amps per channel, as well as a few other active discreet components (transistors). I have even looked at service manuals for recent and vintage receivers, since these service manuals show the schematic for the phono preamp stage incorporated inside the receiver. So, curious to see what I would find in this unit, I removed the cover. The circuit used isn't particularly special. It's just consists of one op-amp per channel, and a few passive components. "Okay," I thought... "That's a little mediocre, but let's plug it in."

I connected the RCA connectors, and then applied power. I was listening to the radio through the receiver when I turned the phono preamp on. I heard a thud out of the speakers! I figured that might have just been a momentary blip caused by interfering with the FM signal, since the antenna was close. Then I tried turning the preamp off, unplugging ONE RCA connector, the applying power to the preamp. Well, now only one side goes thud. I tried swapping the connected RCA connector and now the other speaker goes thud. Hmm, what is going on here? I measured the voltage coming out of the preamp's RCA output, and it peaks at over TEN VOLTS! The voltage going to a receiver's inputs should never be more than three or so volts. (I bet this is why these units have many reviews reporting failure! This makes me wonder whether the preamp is failing, or whether it is causing the reviewer's receiver input it's connected to to fail.)

Other than this weird (and unacceptable) voltage spike, the unit seems to perform adequately. I do, however, wonder about the longevity of the receiver input that the preamp is connected to.

What I DO like about this unit is the metal box. The unit would otherwise have a high sensitivity to stray signals and this metal box allows less careful placement relative to other equipment and wires. The box does not come with rubber feet (or any feet) and something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Waxman-4215395N-Round-Bumpers-pieces/dp/B001WAK6DS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420770182&sr=8-1&keywords=rubber+feet) should be applied to prevent the unit from sliding around, and to protect the furniture it is placed on.

The build quality is also pretty good. Aside from the metal box, the circuit board has a grounding plane on both sides, the soldering is solid, and the unit uses machine screws instead of self-tapping. The preamp is also aesthetically pleasing. I don't particularly like so many electrolytic capacitors placed in the signal path, but this practice isn't uncommon.

I just don't know about the actual circuit used... I'm going to have to listen for a while and weigh the risk of damaging my receiver's inputs to decide if it's a keeper...
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2014
This is a great little preamp for a small price. With the newer amplifiers you need a preamp since the systems don't have a preamp circuit built in any longer. Great packaging, has an AC power supply and it works great for a small price. Installed one years ago for my father-in-law and it is still working without hum or any other annoyance. I just got this as a Christmas gift so that I could use my turntable with the new tuner amplifier system.
on December 30, 2017
Totally fixed my phono signal. The price and quality of this product are good as well.
on June 28, 2017
Working good, no distortion nor need to buy an expensive phono converter.
on November 5, 2017
The PP400 did the job. If you're looking for a basic, economical microphono to get your old-school record player playing on a new-school system, she'll get the job done.
on January 15, 2018
Speedy service, great product. Highly recommended.