Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 408 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 541 reviews
on January 27, 2013
I enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to read and I learned a few things about the Revolutionary War and Washington that I had not heard before. But what impressed me was how the episodes of his life that were covered showed how this man became a legend in his own time through perseverance, courage, education in all things relevant to his current situation whether at his plantation or on the battle field and his love for his country men. His stature in a time of dark futures made him a shining light to all but his jealous enemies of which there were a few. His patience and understanding of men was developed through many trials and sufferings. He made mistakes as we all do, but he seemed to take them more to heart and try to learn from them. He was not beyond taking great risks however. I know that teaching about Washington has been out of favor for fifty or more years by the politically correct revisionist historians. But do yourself a favor and learn the truth about this great man.
on January 9, 2017
This is one of those books that everyone should read. I was amazed to learn about the sacrifices the men made at Valley Forge. It really makes you think about what a miracle this nation's birth was. I listened to the audio and liked this book so much I bought a copy for my mother.
on August 6, 2016
I discovered this book as a CD set when I was driving on a long trip. I found it so thoughtful I gave copies of the book to my three sons. I've been through the book twice--so far. A great history book and very enlightening.
on June 5, 2016
Beck does an OK job with this writing. If you are looking for rich historical detail, you will be disappointed. Too much "Beck commentary." At times he goes back in Washington's life to rehearse certain incidents and leave me wanting for more details of these events. Beck does a nice job of Washington's role in the developing of the US Constitution, again I wanted more detail. OK, if I desired a thorough historical analysis I should have chosen another book ! Beck provides some nice insights into Washington's character. Yes, I would recommend this book.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
This is the first book I have read about George Washington although I have read short articles. I do believe he was a remarkable man. You can't read the book without feeling there was some divine power watching over him. What he accomplished and how he did it is remarkable. I would have given it 5 stars for the facts included. What I didn't like is Glenn Beck's going back and forth. I didn't get the chance to sit it and read it all at once. I have to admit I have done that with some books but it was Christmas time and lots to do. One minute we were in 1796 and the next minute back in 1775. I also didn't enjoy all of Beck's opinions on how the reader should feel about Washington the man. I did agree with many of his comments but felt he must think I'm pretty stupid so he has to point it out to me. What Washington accomplished showed me what kind of a man he was if Mr. Beck's writings are accurate. I think I would have liked it better if Beck wrote about his opinion of Washington at the end. Then I could chose to read it or skip it. Overall I did like it. Maybe if todays congress read it they might try to compromise a little more.
on March 24, 2017
What a well written book and another perspective of who George Washington was!
on September 20, 2013
This is a book on how developing good character through some difficulty and hardship built a great leader. He lived in a single parent home at a young age but through Biblical principles and learning great respect for his mother became a man to eventually lead our country against the British military forces who were the best in the world. A war we never should have won. He was more interested in doing what was right than looking for personal praise. This is a book than anyone who leads anyone should read and glean these positive qualities. Now, I understand why he's considered our greatest president. I will be passing this audio book on to my friends.
on June 30, 2014
This book brought the birth of Liberty from the nebulous closet of neglected history into - now. It connects the necessity for every worthy exercise for Liberty's preservation , large or small, recorded or forgotten, into perspective. Liberty can never be left alone, unaccompanied, lest she be kidnapped and held hostage - for ransom. The gift of Liberty is wrapped with the souls of every man, woman, and child who did, who do, and who will, labor minutely or intensely to keep her alive. Washington created the matrix. All of us who are blessed to live swaddled in her arms, need to remember - never leave Liberty unattended. Thanks, Glenn; stay safe.
on January 15, 2017
I read this when it 1st came out a few year's ago. Bought it at Costco. I enjoyed Beck's writing, including his documented research. I bought this hardcover version from Amazon to give to my son-in-law as a Christmas gift. He was the one who 1st introduced me to Glenn Beck's radio program. He had not read it yet. He liked the gift. What more to say?
on June 10, 2013
It was interesting, enjoyable, easy to read, and, I believe, accurate. There are notes, details about George Washington that I would have never known and an effort to show who George Washington really was, flaws and all. His passions and his loves. His fears and his hopes.