Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on July 10, 2014
I was looking forward for this title to arrived and when it did I jumped enthusiastically right in. Ah but I didn’t get too far and realized how it was going to go, I’ve seen it before so I won’t make this too long. First off the book is written at a fifth grade level and it becomes obvious why…the author seems to be stuck emotionally at that level. Second, the author is surprisingly anti-catholic, maybe from some juvenilely perceived “bad experience” or from a lack of spiritual understanding/development of an interior life, I don’t know, but to the point of being highly disrespectful and insulting to the millions of faithful Italian American Catholics out there. Thirdly, it is a typical Italian American sell out story, some who grew up with it all, the people, the culture, the neighborhood and left for greener and WASP pastures and is now sentimental for it all. Overall I would be hesitant to recommend this to non Italians and probably would not to faithful Italians-Americans who cherish there heritage and culture more than on a sentimental superficial level.
on March 28, 2014
Maybe it's because my family came from northern Italy, maybe it's because they emigrated at the beginning of World War II, but I see a whole lot more Brooklyn than Italian in this book. After a while, the reading became a little tiresome, especially in the tone.
on July 7, 2016
A very enjoyable book. It is not the run of the mill Italian immigrant story. Some interesting historical facts were educational as well .
on September 18, 2017
the most amazing story. you dont have to be Italian to enjoy and associate
with this family.
on March 31, 2015
This story was as close to the way I was brought up than any I've read in a long time. Enjoy....I certainly did!!
on July 15, 2013
Being brought up in a second generation Italian family this oak was right on! Brought me back to my grandparents of 60 years ago.
on January 12, 2013
Took me back to the days of great food, wine making and family values. Anyone that grew up in 40's and 50's would relate to this book
on January 26, 2013
Great for anyone who grew up in Italian family. brings back great personal memories recommend to my whole family. Enjoy