Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 2, 2018
If you plan on installing this on windows 10, you'll need to follow this procedure to get it to work:

If you go to your "devices and printers" window (under Control Panel > Hardware and sound > Devices and printers) you should still see the Belkin adapter icon with an exclamation point indicating a problem. Right click it and go to properties, then click the hardware tab, and click properties again. In the next window that pops up under the general tab, click on change settings. Go to the driver tab and click "update driver". When it asks how you want to search for driver software click on " Browse my computer for driver software. Then click let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. If your windows 10 is anything like mine there should be three different driver options. All three seemed to work for me so just select one and click next and your adapter should hopefully be up and running.
6 people found this helpful
on April 15, 2016
While I'm sure its a great product, its unfortunately not compatible with Windows 10. I had an exchange with Belkin Tech support's Twitter, confirming this fact. On Windows 10, its unstable, won't pick up any 5ghz networks, and barely cracked 50mbs out of the available 200mbs TWC connection. Belkin has no ETA as to when there will be Windows 10 drivers available. That said, if you're running Windows 7 you should be ok. The site offers Windows 8 and 8.1 drivers as well. Windows 10? Avoid this like the plague. Its completely useless on that operating system. Nothing advertised works on it.

Additional note: USB 2.0. As far as I know, at least.
6 people found this helpful
on February 10, 2014
The Belkin N600 DB picked up a strong 2.4GHz and 5GHz signal from the moment I plugged it in. The signal strength was better than my previous Netgear product. The adapter worked flawlessly for 4 months, and then I experienced 2 days of signal dropout and connection issues.
After the 2 days of issues, my Windows 7 machine informed me that there was no adapter installed. I contacted Belkin technical support after trying the adapter in 4 other computers(Win 7 32 & 64, Win Vista, and Ubuntu Linux 13.10) without the operating system recognizing a USB adapter being plugged in. Tech Support asked a bunch of questions and verified that the item was in fact under warranty. I was informed I had to call Customer Service to receive an RMA. Customer service actually answered the phone after 48 minutes on hold(being told wait time was 10 minutes) and spent 3 minutes telling me I had to email them my proof of purchase. I was informed that I would be contacted IF my proof of purchase was validated and then they would process an RMA. As of today(2/10/2014) I have heard nothing for 9 days.
In short, I would only advise purchasing this adapter if you intend to throw it away when it breaks, as their customer support is pretty bad.
*UPDATE* 2/13/14: So after calling support and listening to another 45 minutes of hold music, I got a supervisor on the phone and got them to admit I had a valid receipt and to issue an RMA. The adapter is heading back to them and I am waiting to see what they send back.
2 people found this helpful
on May 28, 2015
I've had a Linksys AC router for more than a year but none of our computers had AC adapters. I tried a range extender but that didn't do the job. So I bought this AC adapter and was immediately impressed. Five bars anywhere in the house. Since it will stay permanently working in my wife's desktop, I decided I needed one for my laptop and ordered another one. It arrived today and it is working fine. Strangely, the second one came in a different box but otherwise identical, including the info on the box. In fact the hardest thing about installing this adapter is opening the box. Linksys offers one with the same specs but for about $5 more. Since Belkin bought Linksys I'll bet they are identical.
Another big plus is that it is USB 3.0 which may speed up things, although I have no way of knowing. Anyway, I'm delighted with the adapter and just may buy a third one for my wife's laptop which also has a b.g.n adapter speed and only gets three bars with the range extender. The only negative I can think of is that if your USB ports are side by side you may lose the use of one of them at the same time because of the width of this adapter, but that shouldn't be a big deal.
on January 14, 2013
I got this because I had to move my router to a different room and needed it for my desktop. I have a Netgear N600 wireless router. I used the cd and followed the instructions and couldn't get online. I contacted Netgear and because it wasn't a Netgear adapter they wanted to charge me to install it. I received this on Sat. Of course there was no support phone # on any of the paperwork for the product. I went online with my laptop and corporate was only open M-F. All other Belkin support was via Skype. I was finally told after a half an hour that my router settings needed to be changed by Netgear to an older and slower setting. I contacted Gearhead support and that was a joke. The lady had me disconnect everything and reset my router. Since I have a vonage phone this meant I lost my phone. She also had me change the wiring from vonage and the router. She was to call back my cell but didn't. Of course Netgear also had no contact info on there paperwork either. I had to reconnect everything the way it was before and find a phone # online. I got a wonderful tech at Netgear who waived the fee and set everything up. It is on a wep setting @ 54mbps which is slower. I think there customer service department STINKS!!!! Even though I got the info I needed the fact that I had to use SKYPE to locate someone to help me is STUPID. I'm returning this item and getting the Netgear adapter. At least they have a customer service and technical department that is open 24/7 if I have a problem. That is the reason I'm returning this product. If anything should happen and I can't get online I'm screwed for support. The whole process took 5 hours. The first 2 #'s I contacted on Skype I was on hold for 15 mins. until I got through on the 3rd Skype #. It may be a good product but customer service is extremely important. Thank god for Amazon who has one of the best customer service departments I've ever seen!!!! Belkin should take notes from Amazon's customer service.
on May 20, 2015
It is difficult for me to rate these devices because dual-band is inherently a little dodgy in my opinion. It reminds me of the days when people would subscribe to two phone lines to get twice the bandwidth on a land line modem. The criteria that I'm using is that if it works with only a few drops that are fixed with restarts, it gets 5 stars. If wireless adapter has problems that a restart cannot fix but eventually can be made to work properly and consistently, then it gets three stars. A wireless adapter that is unusable most of the time gets one star..
This Belkin AC867 Dual-Band USB Adapter was low priced and, frankly, the pc that I had installed it on may have been a bit dodgy itself. So, this wireless adapter gets 4 stars.
on June 27, 2014
I bought this item twice; the first time, it stopped working and I was unable to get a warranty replacement because I'd had it for about a year. Not too big of a deal; sometimes these things happen and it's not a really high dollar item.

Bought the same model again, this time with Amazon's optional 2-year warranty, just in case. Less than a month later, it quit working. I did all the tests to make sure it wasn't a problem with my computer and that the device actually didn't function. While on live-chat with Belkin, it suddenly started working on the other computer I had attached it to...and have had no problems since, thus far.

This item is just too questionable, based on these experiences. I wouldn't buy this again.
2 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 23, 2015
I'm running Linux Mint 16 on this basically vanilla computer (like most of my machines a self-build). My router (Buffalo) is about 50 away, and the computer is on the second floor while the router is on the first floor. Besides the floor there are two walls intervening. I simply plugged this adapter into a USB2 port, unplugged the wired connection, did NOTHING about drivers, and I instantly had a faster internet connection than I had had with the wired connection. Also, all other computers on the LAN are visible in the network management screen (I haven't tried accessing files on all of them yet). We have an HP Chromebook in the same room as the Linux box and the HP struggles to maintain a wifi connection with the same router. I'm most impressed with the non-requirement for any drivers for a Linux system - I expected a hassle. I can't speak to the need or otherwise of drivers for Windows (or OSX), but Belkin does provide a Windows disk.
on July 29, 2015
Pros: Worked as advertised originally
Cons: Stopped working very well after only 4 months

I bought this four months ago and originally was very pleased. Installed just fine on my Windows 8.1 machine. It found our network just fine (the 2.4 and the 5GHz bands) and connected easily enough. Speed tests were much better with this adapter than the original adapter (which isn't saying much). I was happy until around 3 weeks ago when all of a sudden, it stopped working as well. First, it started dropping connections. It would be connected to the 2.4GHz band, then drop the connection entirely. I'd then connect to the 5GHz band and it would connect fine, but the performance wasn't great. It would take a log out or restart to find the 2.4GHz band again. Next, the network speed started decreasing. I would sit next to the computer with my phone connected to the wifi and do a speed test on both. The computer would consistently get speed tests that were around 25% the speed of the phone on the same network. Finally, when it started dropping connections during downloads, I had enough.

I tried all of the things I thought I could. I looked for updated drivers, restarted the machine multiple times. I uninstalled and re-installed the device to see if that would fix it and nothing worked. I tried multiple different USB ports, but nothing. I browsed some forums, no advice. In the end, I just gave up and purchased the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter. Got it, installed it, so far so good. It's not a USB adapter, which is fine for my desktop machine, but won't help you if you need a USB adapter.
on December 21, 2012
I bought this adapter to substitute for a Dell 1703 Wifi card that is built-in to a laptop that had connection stability and throughput problems. This particular version of the N300 adapter (where the adapter part is about the size of your thumbnail, some Amazon pictures wrongly show an even smaller adapter) has thus far been a solid performer, providing a stable connection with 5-10x the performance of the problematic Dell card. I haven't done an extreme signal range test with it, but range seems to be at least comparable to other adapters that I've used.

I found that although the drivers Belkin provides for this adapter appear to be stable, they were a bit old (March 2012) and offered virtually no configuration options. The N300 uses a Realtek 8192CU chip, and if you Google "Realtek downloads" to get to Realtek's site, then browse to Communication Network ICs->Wireless LAN ICs->WLAN NIC->IEEE 802.11b/g/n Single-Chip, then you will find a zip download with the RTL8192CU driver with support for Windows XP through Windows 8. I had success with this driver personally on both Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 x64. Use the Device Manager to uninstall the Belkin driver (if you previously installed that), then use the device manager again to Update Driver and browse to the location where you unzipped the Realtek download. I recommend doing it this way the first time rather than running Realtek's setup application, otherwise it seems that the Realtek setup application may not find your adapter. I managed to install the Realtek application software afterwards to check it out. It lets you manage connection profiles, see nearby networks, view adapter statistics, and appears to include an AP mode option, though I did not try that personally. However, the application doesn't offer much more than Windows already provides so unless you really need it it's probably better to install the driver only.

One drawback to any USB wireless adapter is that they do seem to draw more power than built-in wifi cards in my experience, and this one does reduce the battery runtime of the laptop I installed it in by about 10% (estimated, with built-in adapter turned off), which is not too bad but not great either. Unfortunately, unlike some other adapters I have used, neither the Belkin or the Realtek driver/application provide any kind of power management/saving options for the device other than letting Windows turn it off completely.

I give it 4/5 stars because I'm happy with it and was able to use the latest Realtek driver, but I was hoping for some power management/saving options since it's going to be used in a laptop.

Update: As far as range goes, this adapter is acheiving good signal and stable connections in an area of our home that normally has low signal with other adapters, so no complaints there. I would go so far as to say that as someone who has a dual band N router, this Belkin adapter performs so surprisingly well on the 2.4GHz band alone that I would happily buy again, even though it doesn't support the 5GHz band. (using Realtek's drivers).