Top critical review
3 people found this helpful
Good first impressions - but now not too happy!
on October 9, 2013
I do most of my riding in warm/hot weather. These new shorty helmets coming out are superb for this type of riding. The sunshade lens are fantastic. The retraction keeps the lens from getting scratched while stored! Absolutely love it. Bell's Pit Boss looks fantastic with this new flame series. The color and finish of the graphics are superb. Lastly, I spoke to Kyle at Helmet City and he was patient and answered all my questions. His response from my inquiry via Amazon was nearly immediate. Be sure to buy from Helmet City! These guys rock!
I'm lowering my rating to 2 stars. Here is why...
1. I find the helmet hot to wear with not really any ventilation.
2. I thought the visor optics were causing distortion. Bell sent me a second lens. It appears this lens does the same thing. It appears to have a line of distortion right at eye level. I believe it has more to do with the engineering than the lens and maybe optical in nature and not a physical distortion.
3. When I went to change the lens, the hinge plastic piece broke. There are absolutely no instructions anywhere on how to change the lens. You basically have to wrench it out by pulling on both sides at the same time. Clearly, this helmet design is not meant to be switching out the lens every day to go from day to night lens's. Bell assured me the helmet has a 5 year warranty and I can send it back for full replacement. The hinges are not user serviceable! The helmet must be sent back to Bell every time they may break!
4. If it's night time and you have the tinted lens installed and have it retracted, there is a visually disturbing "black bar" handle that hangs down to your left side in the field of view. While you can ignore this, I find it a bit disturbing.
5. The size adjuster on the back works well, but is extremely dainty in quality. I'm wondering how long it will last. The plastic maybe as thin as 1/4" in some places. Not very beefy. It also hangs down a bit on the back of your neck below the helmet.
I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying this helmet and may send it back. The new scorpion 110 model has hinges that are user serviceable. They have ventilation as well! However, the Bell reputation is better known.