Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,596 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,992 reviews
on August 9, 2016
This is one of the most amazing Charlton Heston movies ever made, besides maybe the Ten Commandments. You really have to sit back and enjoy the "Real" acting that took place in these movies. It's almost as though they are in a play, and it was filmed for motion pictures. The actors and actresses are simply outstanding. Can't say enough but it is biblical based, and really tugs at your emotional feelings.
on April 14, 2017
You know how, when you've watched a movie so many times, that you become over-critical of it?
I've watched this movie annually for over 50 years, and there's not a single line, or shot I would alter in the least!
Every subtle nuance in each actors' expression is intentional and necessary!
Simply the best movie of all time!

The 2016 remake, should have been named differently, simply for the sake of the posterity of the 1959 version; or at least out of respect for the pure genius of director William Wyler!

Writer Lew Wallace should have lived to see it!

The original music by Miklós Rózsa, in my opinion, is also the best movie score of all time!

So few movies get the full 5☆ mark on Amazon; it pleases me to see this Gem does!
on August 23, 2016
One of the greatest movies ever made!!! Charlton Heston and the entire cast were in short amazing and fully deserving of all the Academy Awards and accolades awarded to them. With the enhancements of the blu-ray format and being beautifully restored this movie has never looked better. Allowing the viewer to truly, fully enjoy the movie the way the producers always intended it to be seen. This is definately a must see for any classic Hollywood movie lover.
on January 24, 2017
DVD runs PERFECT AND THE SAME WITH THE COLOR-THAT HAS BEEN DIGITALLY RESTORED. The recent re-make of this movie is, frankly a waste of time and doesn't begin to compare with this movie. Any individual not familiar with this movie, should watch this spellbinding action drama. I have experienced men and teens tell me, after they watched the movie, "WOW!", then with a smile, state...loved the chariot races- so we watched it again. Even kids love it because of all the action. I watch it all the time and never get tired of it.. It makes a super gift for anyone.
on August 17, 2016
This is an EXCELLENT movie!!! I had NO idea how they were able to make this movie that long ago and no CGI help. They did a superb job. I had seen the movie originally but after so many years, I had forgotten a lot of the specific details. It was a pleasure to see it again. We wanted to see this version again before seeing the 2016 version of the film I think the new film will have a hard time competing with the charm and grandeur of the original film making and actors.
on May 25, 2014
I love this classic movie; made when Hollywood didn't shy away from religious themes (before I was born). Discovered Ben Hur in my twenties - I was initially disappointed when my wife brought it home from the video rental store because all I knew about this movie was that it was old and it had a famous chariot race. Turns out it's also very long - and i was riveted to my seat for the whole showing. It has it all: action, adventure treachery, suspense, romance, revenge, loyalty, and redemption. It is now a family tradition to watch it every Easter.

I own the DVD release of this film. I decided to make my first Amazon digital streaming purchase and I was impressed by the video and audio quality. I expected the Amazon HD streaming version to be convenient (as I wouldn't have to locate my wife's newest storage place for our DVDs on an annual basis anymore), but it also turned out to be of far superior quality compared to the DVDs. We watched it on a 55" Panasonic Viera HDTV via a Roku and it was visually stunning. Now we can watch it wherever we go on any of our devices.

I'm very pleased with this purchase because it's a great movie and the streaming format did it justice.
on December 26, 2016
This has been my family Christmas movie ever since it became available. It starts at the birth of Christ and ends with His death. It follows a contemporary who lives at the same period of time, and whose life touches Christs life at certain times. I absolutely love the story and everything about it. It's also about one man's journey from the birth in Bethlehem to the cross where Jesus died. It is about a man who nearly looses his faith and all hope, and it is restored at the cross.
on March 23, 2016
To me, just about the greatest religious drama that illustrates why Christ came into this world, that gets across God's message of love and mercy, but also his justice, and the effects of love and hate on the human heart. Never showing the face of Christ, or his voice, but only his silent presence is powerful. Incredible performances and production. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son...."
on November 29, 2013
Picture looks awesome considering the movie is 50 + years old. This is the first release of this where it was properly framed.
EDIT: I'm not sure why my review shows up as DVD but I'm referring to the 50th anniversary Blu-ray release which considering the age of the film has quite a great picture and depth & shadow detail is great. Most of the film is brightly lit but the scene after the chariot race when Ben-hur visits Messala the low lit scene looks quite striking. As I mentioned the film is properly framed though there is one scene that shifts/jumps while Ben-hur is talking to Messala in his office not sure which time off the top of my head but I believe its the first time. This may be do to a damaged frame of film I'm not sure. That was the only noticeable framing issue. The 50th anniversary edition also includes a copy of Charlton Heston's daily schedule/diary of the film which was quite interesting I haven't read it completely but its a look behind the scenes in a really raw way.

Amazon should really Really REALLY stop mixing the Blu-Ray reviews in with the DVD ones neither are a fair representation of the other.
on September 13, 2016
Includes the 1925 version of Ben-Hur on disk 3! That certainly was a pleasant surprise. I won't review the 1959 movie, as it of course is awesome and the Blu-Ray is great and I can't really add much to that. But I note with hilarity that on the extras disk, there are some interviews about the movie by some famous directors. They mention in awe all the new camera angles invented for the chariot race, and are amazed where they got inspiration for the statues on the ends of the ridge in the circus.

However, if you look at the included 1925 version, the camera angles are all there, and the same statues! The 1959 race is almost a shot-for-shot reshoot of the 1925 one.