Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 3, 2014
Let me start off by saying, yes these are both the remastered 50th anniversary editions of Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments that are sold separately for the same price as this double feature. Yes there are four Blu-rays in the case, two for Ben Hur and two for The Ten Commandments. And yes this is really is as good a deal as it seems. If you are looking to add these two movies to your collection, this is the one to buy. The only thing that you are giving up by buying this double feature is having one extra case on your shelf.
As far as the movies themselves go, the remastering job on both is incredible. The video quality looks as good as movies that are filmed today, and the audio has been remastered into DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, and sounds awesome. The films are also complete, with parts of the films, especially Ben Hur, that I've never seen before.

The two films did get different treatment though, and I must admit that I like the remastering on The Ten Commandments better.

Ben Hur which was shot on 65mm film, maintains it original theatrical ultra-widescreen aspect which requires letter boxing at the top and bottom of the screen. If there is a let down for me, it is the audio remastering. While it is remastered in DTS-HD 5.1, the EQ was not reworked to give the voice track especially, as well as the music tracks the depth and bass that we are used to in todays films. Instead they have more of a tinny sound that was the norm for films of their day.

The Ten Commandments is presented in a 16x9 aspect ratio which eliminates the black bars on the top and bottom and fills the screen completely. The other big difference is the audio EQ was done so that the full depth of the sound, which does sound as good as films made today, fills the room with the DTS-HD 5.1 surround sound. The full presence of Charlton Heston's voice is faithfully reproduced, as well as the magnificent music throughout the film.

So in short, if you are wanting to add these two classics to your library, this is a no brainer.
177 helpful votes
178 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 2, 2017
Best deal for two fantastic movie. Movies like these aren't made anymore. Grand, sweeping epics now are a thing of the past. Good theatrical acting, beautiful sets and costumes. The story moves right along and kept me captivated for the entire 3 hours of each movie. A copy of the original Been Hur theater booklet was included, which talks about the making of the movie. Fun to look through. The video content about the making of the movie was also included. It dispelled the decades old rumor that a stunt man was killed during the chariot race scene. They go over how the trample scene was choreographed with a weighted dummy body. Yakima Canute, the master of all stuntmen, was interviewed, along with Charlton Heston.
on November 27, 2015
The movies are great. I hate the packaging. Each movie is split into 2 disks for a total of 4. However, they are crammed in there in such a way that it makes it a real pain the ass to work with. Improve the packaging and I will give it 5 stars.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on September 7, 2017
I just received the movies. Several early reviews while saying the movies were great, complained about the packaging, i.e. all four discs on a single spindle, I would say that their complaints were heard. It still comes in one container but there are two front and back spindles. In other words, each disc has its own space. I will assume the quality of the movies is as good as everyone says, haven't had a chance to view them as of yet, I just wanted to comment on how the packaging problem has been resolved.
on March 12, 2013
The brilliant restoration and remastering of DeMille's Epic Masterpiece THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is one of the best if not the greatest one I have seen on high definition so far for a classic film. Working with the original Vista-Vision 35mm negative source may account for that. It even surpasses BEN-HUR's remastering that tends to carry slight deficiencies in contrast levels during some dark scenes. TEN COMMANDMENTS turned out 100% perfect. Comparable to the high quality excellence that the Walt Disney Company invests in order to restore their classic animated masterpieces to look better than they ever will in high definition. TEN COMMANDMENTS is not only the most popular Biblical epic of all time, it is the highest grossing one as well in the Biblical genre. Due to the attention to details and dedication poured into the making of this time-less classic film, it should have won Best Picture and all the major award categories below that during the 1957 AMPAS ceremonies. Charlton Heston should have received his first oscar 3 years before and then get a 2nd one in 1960 for Ben-Hur. Edward G.Robinson was perfect in his portrayal of Dathan and should have received the Best Supporting Actor award for that role. I guess Academy members back then enjoyed watching Cantinflas dangling from a balloon in Around the World in 80 Days better than being moved by the finger of God writing His Ten Commandments on granite stone atop Mount Sinai. Both masterpiece Biblical epics should not be missing as part of every home entertainment film collection.
95 helpful votes
96 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on September 10, 2017
Bought to watch with my grandson.
Nice to see it again without commercials.
My grandson used to say "old movies are dumb"
But thanks to places like Amazon - I've convinced him there are Many older movies still great, always be great.
on June 6, 2016
If you weren't a film buff, you would not be reading this. I will leave the plots to other reviewers if you didnt already know. Simply put, these 2 masterpieces should adorn any movie collection. Both fully restored beautifully. I feel Ben holds a slight edge over Commandments only because there is the slightest feel of Sunday School cartoonism to the Commandments that maybe most people would not even notice. I purchased these treasures from Amazon when the set was only $9.99. What a deal. I grew up with these movies and feel proud to own these beautiful looking motion pictures. Check out the historically filmed wide screen chariot race in Ben Hur on a Samsung cell phone! Only kidding (lol). I use an upscaling BD and a SUHD 65" and wow!! Snag this today and own some history.
on March 15, 2014
Who would think that the Ten Commandments was filmed in 1956 when seeing this BluRay? This is one of the best jobs so far in
movie restoration and transfer onto BluRay. The colors are vivid and warm, the grain is fine and the image is overall devoid of noise (which is unfortunately all too common in the digitization process and made so many BluRay hastily produced unwatchable). Remastering of the sound is equally impressive.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on October 3, 2014
Amazing films. I have loved these movies since I was a child. The Ten Commandments was viewed every Easter in our home, going from a black and white television to color. I never saw the movie in the theater. I watched the Blu-ray version last evening and was spellbound. I saw colors and detail that I never saw in the 40 plus years of viewing this movie. The detail is spectacular. Costumes have visible threads. The scene with the gifts from Ethiopia!!! Amazing!! We froze the movie several times just to view the colors and costume detail.
I have not yet seen Ben Hur but will add additional comments once I have, I just had to get the review for the Ten Commandments online.
If you are on the fence about purchasing them, have no fear. The Blu-ray version is amazing and I even loved the audio.
2 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 23, 2014
I haven't watched the movies yet, but of course I've seen them before many times. They are both excellent. I actually walked from my school to the theater in Manhattan with my 4th grade class to see Ben-Hur when it was first released.

So why only three stars? The new packaging that Amazon is using with mailing envelopes does not properly protect the blu-ray cases. This it the second order that I have had recently with a broken case.
4 helpful votes