The Ben Stiller Show
Deal of the Day: "M*A*S*H: The Complete Series + Movie" on DD
Today only, save big on this M*A*S*H bundle, which includes all 11 seasons of the hit television show and the feature film. This offer ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Before Zoolander, Night at the Museum, Dodgeball, There's Something About Mary and Meet the Parents there was The Ben Stiller Show! Now, catch Stiller's early years in this acclaimed but short-lived comedy series. Launched in 1992, the series boasted a strong following and, though it only a short time on network television, the sharply written and ingeniously funny show snatched the Emmy® Award for comedic writing and was the darling of widespread critical acclaim. The Los Angeles Times calls it "rip-roaring hilarious" while the San Diego Union-Tribune finds it "wildly funny, scathingly sardonic and brilliantly executed." Co-starring alongside Janeane Garofalo, Andy Dick and Bob Odenkirk early in their careers, Stiller's groundbreaking sketch comedy talents are put to hilarious use with spot-on showbiz parodies of movies, television, music and more, including wickedly funny impersonations of Tom Cruise, Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Daniel Day-Lewis, Bruce Willis and more!]]>
In addition to the cast's uncanny impersonations (Stiller's Bono, Tom Cruise, Bruce Springsteen, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Bruce Willis, and Garofalo's Juliette Lewis), The Ben Stiller Show was home to a gallery of recurring characters--agent Michael Pheret, the No, No, No Guy--who, thankfully, SNL producer Lorne Michaels was not around to parlay into godawful films. The topical humor can't help but date some of the material (the show is a veritable Trivial Pursuit of pop culture references, from The Partridge Family to Beverly Hills 90210, but the brilliance of the writing and sheer abandon of the performances are still a joy to behold. --Donald Liebenson
- All 12 episodes with commentaries by Ben Stiller, the entire cast, and writers on seven key episodes
- A Brief History of "The Ben Stiller Show" including alternate versions of the pilot and two early parodies made for MTV
- Five unaired sketches with optional commentary
- An E! "Behind The Scenes" Special
- An Easter Egg with "Melrose Heights" commentary by Ben Stiller and Bob Odenkirk
Top Customer Reviews
The DVD chronicles the 12 episodes of Ben Stiller's Show, which ran on MTV from 1992 to 1993. The cast includes Ben Stiller, Janeane Garofalo (remember her?), Andy Dick and Bob Odenkirk doing sketches and parodies of popular early 90s shows, commercials and fads. There is also one unaired episode included, as well as commentaries and outtakes from a few of the episodes.
This show mocks the aggravations of trendy television that sprang up in the late 80s/early 90s. There are plenty of stabs at FOX's "rich" kids shows, Hollywood blockbuster movies, commercials and MTV shows. For instance, there is a running parody called "Melrose Heights 90210-2402" which pokes fun at the over dramatization and hipness of yuppie-teen television that came to prominence with Melrose Place and Beverly Hills. There is also "Legends of Springsteen", where we learn the many achievements of the legendary "Boss" (such as how he fought off alien invaders at a cafe). Another highlight is "The Grungies" segment, which mocks the Grunge "X" Generation movement of the early 90s (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc) by combining it with the popular 60s show "The Monkees." It is also has a scattering of action movie skits that mimic action movies: Die Hard 12: Die Hungry, Cape Munster, and Advantage Agassi (Andre Agassi as a tennis-playing, crime fighter in a prototypical cheesy B-Movie subplot). Numerous commercials (What is sexy?, the "Pig" Latin singer), a mockumentary of U2 (Stiller as Bono), Ben's Video Diary, and Headslammer's Ball are other notable segments included.
An excellent buy for a Ben Stiller fan, and definitely worth a shot if you are unfamiliar with the show. Essentially, this is smart comedy.
Aside from the shows themselves, which most people looking at this page are already sold on, fans need to get this DVD set to hear the commentary. Ben Stiller, Andy Dick, Janeane Garofalo, and Bob Odenkirk are all in the commentary tracks. The commentary is generally fun and any serious fan must listen to the commentary tracks to hear the following:
1) How Ben Stiller assembled this now legendary cast.
2) A story about Ben meeting Bruce Springsteen, who is a subject of several skits in the show.
3) How the cast felt about the show's cancellation.
4) How the cast feels about the show relative to their later works.
5) How the fledgling Fox Network felt about the show's parodies of "Cops", "90210", and the Fox Network.
6) Guests that they tried to secure for the segments between the sketches.
7) How Janeane feels about bike shorts.
8) How they tricked Adam West into impersonating Adam West.
1) The humor was free-flowing and one skit drifted quickly into another.
2) Once you start watching an episode, you're hooked until it's over. All 12 (actually 13) episodes, plus bonus skits, are easy to watch back-to-back with plenty of good places to pause.
3) Many of the skits were absolutely roll-around hilarious.
4) The commentaries and behind-the-scenes features tell you everything you need to know about the series and why it was cancelled.
1) The celebrity guests rarely participated in skits and sometimes had nothing entertaining to say or do.
2) Some camera shots, especially the outdoor scenes, had a very low-budget look.
3) Many of the joke references require you to have a knowledge of 1980's TV series to really understand.
The price is good, the special features are generous and it's hours of entertainment with a high rewatch value. Get it - definitely.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this to figure out who was the "et al" mentioned after Andy Dick, in the description.Published 24 days ago by Justin Ballard
There is pure shame in the admission of observing this beyond one minute. May this message encourage someone to invest their time more wisely, even in seeking material for... Read morePublished 1 month ago by C Slo
Best skit comedy show ever, the legends of Springsteen are priceless I wish there was more and the cast just wow!Published 1 month ago by ian obrien
I haven't finished the whole season but I will say that I probably wouldn't enjoy these skits if I wasn't a fan of the entire cast. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Mikal
Love the show! I got a DVD for Xmas and I bought this copy for my cousin for Xmas as well.Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer
Good deal on the complete series for under $10. Some of the sketches are dated though and don't stand up as well as something like "The State. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Hye Y Collins
The Ben Stiller show was one of those shows that had a brief life and featured some innovative sketches from Ben Stiller, Bob Odenkirk, Andy Dick and Janine Garafalo. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Amberjack
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Musicals & Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Television
- Movies & TV > TV