YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Beat the Cold with Outdoor Clothing on Amazon $50 off select BOB single strollers

on December 8, 2015
This is my first projector and I'm really happy with it. I can't believe what I've been missing out on. The picture is fantastic, even the black levels in darker type movies are great. We have been using it for movies, TV shows and video games with a PlayStation...zero lag noticed with fast pace gaming. I got carried away with all the reviews and comparisons out there on different projectors. They pretty much all have good reviews, just pick one and roll with it. I was torn between this one and the HT3050($999), I decided to save $200 and do not regret it. If the picture is off a little I'd never know it...it looks every bit as good as my 46" tv and probably better. We are using it with the factory default vivid mode and like it the best. It is lightweight, small and looks nice. I was going to go with the BenQ 1070 to start with but I figured I'd spend a little more and get a newer model to help with resale down the road.

I have 7 foot ceilings so I made my own mount to put it basically directly against the ceiling. The image is just a hair below the centerline of the lens(when mounted upside down) and can be adjusted farther down. I was worried I wouldn't be able to put the screen as high as I wanted but it worked out well. I bought an Elite Screens Sable Frame B2 Series, 110" screen SB110WH2($259), really nice screen by the way. I've added a picture so you can see roughly how high the screen is and how the projector is mounted(picture taken right after screen/projector was mounted,wires and sound system not dealt with yet) I used 1/2" thick by 2 1/2" wide aluminum bars, 18" long to reach over 16" on center floor joist's. I did have to machine some areas because there are some plastic sections that protrude down on the bottom of the projector. I also removed the rear adjustable feet and the pad from the front foot so the 1/2 thick mount would seat against the ceiling. Honestly a good hard 1/2" thick wood could be used for a more easily made mount...it really is light. I mounted the projector to the mounts then the mounts to the ceiling. I'm mounted about 9.5 feet from the screen and I did add about 3/32 worth of shim between the back legs of the mount and the ceiling to bring the image up just a little more. It did not affect the image squareness and helped get the screen a little closer to the ceiling. I did not use any keystone adjustment.
review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2016
I'll avoid going into some of the technical details covered by other reviewers and just tell you my story. I was looking for a projector that could be used for my daughter’s birthday party, and as one of the final pieces in my garage makeover, I decided to dive into the mind-numbing research of projectors.

As someone that has never owned a projector, I really didn't need the top of the line AV line but did want 1080P with low lag and a self-powered USB outlet so I could run a streaming stick anywhere I could find power, outside our inside. It turns out the $600.00 - $1000.00 segment of projectors is quite busy with competing offers from BenQ, Optoma, Emerson etc. pitching different perks like DLP, 3D Ready, Native 3D, MHL, powered USB, Glass Lense, Aspect ratios, Brightness etc. All of these seem to be spread out over many many models, some of which classify themselves as "Home Theatre", and others that are "Office. There is also throw distance which covers short throw, long throw, and not listed which seems to be in the middle.

It was a daunting new world. For me I broke it down to what I wanted. Normal throw, higher brightness, 1080P, with awesome reviews. After many, many videos on youtube and spending way too much time on AV forums I narrowed down the playing field to DLP because LCD seems to have much less vibrancy in the picture side by side with all the screenshots I had seen. This left a few players and their versions, which can be confusing because Amazon and the vendors sell older and newer versions of the same product side by side.
I settled on either Ben Q, 1070, 2050, 3050 or Optoma HD141X, HD142X, HD27. The forums tried to push me higher up the chain but for my needs these were the right options. 3D, DLP, 1080P, powered USB, great picture, good battery life. Check.

The BenQ versions seemed to edge out the Optoma versions at nearly every review. While some of the Optomas where less expensive in the hundred to two hundred range and had some awesome features like Native 3D, high resolutions, better specs it seemed that out of the box the BenQ has the edge with amazing quality.

In the end, the price different was only negligible between the older W1070 to the HT2050 and the 3050 differences of the two didn’t wow anyone enough to recommend so I went with the 2050.

Now, how did it work? Out of the box on an Elite Screens 120” It looks amazing. Even considering I am using a Roku streaming stick and the default was 720P, I was impressed, and then overjoyed when I say MLB live with the 1080P turned on. I will leave the spec-head comments to other reviewers and just say that the picture is bright and clear, responds well and is very impressive to everyone that has seen it running in my blacked out garage. No rainbows for me!

Oh, you may be wondering about how light effects the picture. When sunlight hits the screen it dulls it considerably, but when I turn on the garage light I can still see a very good picture. I will say that for the best possible picture try to limit any ambient​ light. Also, this thing gets hot so a portable AC or fan may be needed in small places with little ventilation.

If your story is like mine know that I spent quite a bit of time reviewing and weighing the benefits of many similar projectors and ended up with this one as my choice, maybe you will do the same.
22 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2016
Bought this a month ago and the bulb made a loud pop and no more picture. It's a shame, I like the picture and features, but I only have 40 hours and the bulb popped already. Will submit a warranty claim and update with how that goes
Edit: made a warranty claim, they paid for shipping and it took 3 days to repair and hey shipped it back to me. Hopefully, it will be fine this time with a new bulb

Edit2: projector came back, remounted and it's working. Hopefully I'm set for a while

Edit3: bulb popped again. This happens when watching 3D movies. Very disappointed

Edit4: benq is sending me a new projector. Fantastic customer support.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 30, 2015
I've been through a number of projectors over the years, the one this is taking over for is an optoma hd65 720p projector. It served me very well, but has become dim with age. This step up has been a very very noticeable improvement in brightness and resolution.

Projector Vs regular TV:
Just a quick bit about this, if you're new to projectors, they are definitely cool, but the main thing to know is that they are best suited for dim/dark/controlled lighting spacs. The main shortcoming you'll find are the black levels, which in anything but a totally dark room don't go quite as true black as traditional TVs and especially the new true black TVs. But, if you have a dark/controllable space, then it's an awesome and less expensive way to go BIG. I've been using projectors in my living room for years, in the daytime i have a lot of ambient light even with the shades closed, but with the HT2050 i'm still liking the result a lot. See the attached photos, but keep in mind the photos won't be a completely accurate representation, just a rough idea (cameras and eyes, not quite the same)

Vs the Benq 1070/1075/1080/etc
Overall unless you see a specific new feature that you can make use of, i don't see a significant enough jump in overall quality for someone to want to upgrade to the 2050 over one of the recent generations of benq 1080 sub-$1000 projectors. The 2050 does have a better contrast ratio, but oddly leaves out horizontal keystone correction. If however you're still using a 720p projector and are looking at an upgrade, i do think it's a big contender in the sub $1000 arena.

Setup
Is about as easy as you can get, right on bootup it gets you through the basics, such as what position you're using: front, rear, ceiling, tabletop. With older projectors you would need to awkwardly dig through the menus on a backwards or upside down menu if you were silly enough to ceiling mount before setting it in the menu.

Mounting was fairly easy, with the 1.3x zoom range and vertical lens shift. Lens shift allows you to move the image around without quality loss, which is a huge help in getting the screen setup just right and preventing keystoning the image. Keystoning is when the lens isn't totally dead on with the screen, which makes the top/bottom or left/right edges of the screen go out of parallel(think trapezoid). Digital Keystone correction helps for that same problem, but digitally and with quality loss. Still, better to have it than not, and in this case the HT2050 has vertical Keystone correction but no horizontal correction. What does this mean? Measure your projector and screen position before drilling holes!

Rainbows
A common quirk with DLP is the rainbow effect. Depending on the color wheel speed and segments, you may notice rainbows during fast action or if you dart your eyes across the screen. Some folks are more susceptible to this than others. I can see if i want (dart my eyes around), and while i can see it if i try, it's very well controlled on the HT2050 and i'm not concerned.

Brightness
I found the 2200lumens to be a good amount for my living room which is somewhat controlled. What do i mean by controlled? For instance: i have a number of track lights, i position them so that none are casting direct light onto the screen. So long as you can ensure no bulb is directly shining on the screen, you can achieve very nice results. Of course, at night when you turn off all the lights is when it really shines. Colors and whites really 'pop'. Your screen size and distance is also a big factor: The closer the projector to the screen, the brighter it will be, the smaller the screen, the brighter it will be. The opposite is of course also true. If you're new to projectors i suggest playing around with this to see how dramatic/not those factors are in your particular setup.

Black Level
This is where projectors typically fall short of traditional TVs. This being a 'budget' projector, don't expect inky blacks. With all the lights off, i was happy with the overall black levels. Newer LED TVS can achieve totally black blacks, and they look fantastic, you're not going to get that with a budget projector like this. Then again, those TVS cost more and offer a smaller screen size than this benq can create. Projectors and panel TVs are inherently different, you may have preference for one over the other. For those with high ambient light levels, a projector often is not the ideal choice.

Sharpness
I was honestly quite happy with my 720p HD65, and that goes for anything in life where you aren't seeing a side by side comparison. That said, i can notice and appreciate the extra resolution with the HT2050. It's important to get critical focus, and it helps to have someone turn the knob while you look right up at the screen. Once focused, things look very crisp

Image Adjustments
There are the usual screen adjustments, and then you can go into fine tuning and really go nuts with tweaking everything till you're blue in the head. You can even go in and adjust the gain/saturation/hue of all 6 color channels R/G/B/C/M/Y. But i tend to keep things simple, i will run with the stock settings for awhile before tinkering with the advanced settings. Kind of a burn in period for both the projector and my eyes. I'm using smart eco for the lamp, and vivid for the picture scheme.

Bulb
Benq has a pretty good bulb reputation. in this case the bulb is rated at 3500 hours in normal, or 6000 in eco. if you watched an average of 3 hours a day, every single day, that's a minimum of 3 years of use. The replacement bulb is 5J.JEE05.001 . Some searching does not yield much results, so it looks to be a new bulb type, and one retailer has it listed for around $250. The brightness difference between my HD65 and the HT2050 is dramatic, but the HD65 has a lower lumen rating, and is a very old bulb.

Noise
The projector is only about 5ft from the viewing couch, directly above. At that distance the noise is definitely perceptible, but i'm use to the HD65 being nosier, so overall i've gained improvement with the HT2050. If there's no sound from the speakers, you'll hear the low hum of the fans, but once any action/speaking happens on what you're watching, it easily overpowers the projector's fans.

Connections
Tons, and the HDMI has MHL which means it can provide power to certain devices. For instance, the firetv stick, you can just plug it in with no need for a power adapter and your projector becomes a streaming center. You get another HDMI port, a 12v trigger port so you can sync a motorized screen to the projector's power, a component, composite, and even an old 15pin computer connection.

Summed up
This may be considered a budget projector, but the features and image quality you get for your dollar is very satisfying. Projectors suit one primary purpose: Go Big. You can get some pretty darn big panel TVs these days, so the decision of projector vs panel is not always a clear one. A big factor to consider is your ambient light level, if you can control it: Go for the projector.

Disclaimer:
I was provided this projector in exchange for an honest review. You should always be skeptical of these such reviews, not everyone has the same definition of "honest"
1010 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2016
I researched projectors for months. I ended buying this Benq HT2050. It is great. First it is a lot quieter than a lot of other projectors. Installation is straight forward with good amount of adjustment ability. There is a chart for distance to screen size, it is not accurate. I had it mounted 155" from my 120" screen and I barely had to do any adjustments. Gets ready in seconds. Picture quality is very good and 3D movies come to life with it. The native speakers are nice, but I have it hooked to Sony STR-DH520 with 7.1. The only inconvenience is that I have to mute the native speakers or there is noticeable echo. It is hooked to Xbox as well and there is no lag at all.
88 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2016
Great projector at the price. Exceed my expectation in both 2D and 3D picture quality. In terms of value, I think this one is even better than the higher tier brother. I did a side by side comparison between this one and its higher tier version and found it really difficult to tell these two apart.
1111 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2016
Amazing projector! Within the last few months I went from a UC40 (too dim and washed out), to an Optima HD26 (bright, clear image but very washed out and dull colors) and finally to this projector. Kept the UC40 because its more of a toy than a serious projector, HD26 was returned and finally after my search and hands on experience, I'll be keeping the BenQ HT2050.

In comparison to the HD26 I find this projector to be wayyy ahead in term of overall image quality. This projector is very bright, no real noticeable difference in brightness compared to the HD26 even with the difference in lumens. The colors are insanely better and really pop. Infact, in terms of color: this projector defaults into vivid mode with has a little TOO much color pop as the saturation is upped on that preset. It still looks absolutely great but after a while I realized to my picky eye it was a little too saturated. My fiance even made a comment on how well the colors pop and shes not much of a techie, but we were used to the HD26.

I enjoy Cinema mode with saturation and brightness turned down to 45 for both settings. HDMI settings set to PC which for me makes the gamma a little easier to see dark details in combination with the gamma setting set to 1.8. Otherwise I found the HDMI video setting to be a little TOO dark. You can play around with this to your liking. HD26 didn't have this kind of flexibility.
(FYI If you are connecting the projector to a PC, In the Nvidia control panel I changed the "Dynamic Range" color setting for the BenQ from Limited 16-235 to Full 0-255. Supposed to help preserve full black detail as well as white)

Pros:
-This may be more of a personal gripe but the Optima HD26's lens cap attached to the mechanical bit you turn to focus the projector making an unfocused picture each and every time you put on and remove the lens cap. With this projector (HT2050) it attaches to the ring section that is part of the body SEPARATE from the focusing mechanism which lets me have a focused picture at all times no matter how many times I remove the lens cap. A lot less of a hassle in my opinion.

-This projector features an ECO Blank Mode (there's a button on the projector and a button on the remote for ECO Blank) to make the picture dim down to a pure black signal letting you step away from the projector while its on to save lamp power. Really great feature! I find myself using this feature all the time while HD26 optima did not have such a feature and would waste lamp power while I got up for 10-15 minutes at a time.

-Menus are much nicer than the HD26. Easier to navigate, has a cool purple color to them that pops (that was the first thing you see when you turn on the projector and see the menu color pop a rich purple), and also allows you to change the position of the menu so that when you are messing with video settings the menu isn't blocking the middle of the picture but rather can be moved to the side to allow you to better change settings to your liking in real-time.

Cons:
Not really any aside from menu settings being unique to each HDMI port. Though this may actually be a blessing in disguise depending on if you prefer different settings for difference devices but say for example if I go into cinema mode on HDMI input 1 and tweak the settings to my liking. Then I plug in a separate device to the HDMI port 2 and switch the signal over to HDMI 2, the Cinema mode tweaks I made on HDMI 1 don't carry over. But again, no big deal as the picture quality doesn't require much changing to have an amazing picture.

Get this projector! I've very visually picky and this projector satisifed my needs. I have it hooked up to my gaming PC projecting onto a 100" screen.
review image review image
on June 16, 2016
I have had this projector for a few months now and it has been great. It is very quiet and easy to setup, the colors are wonderful and it has nice inky blacks. I calibrated it with a Spyder 4 Elite and it looked almost the exact same from when it was straight out of the box.
on July 20, 2016
Just got this and the picture quality is a spectacular upgrade from my old Epson Powerlite 82c (VGA) projector. Bought this over the Optoma HD26 based on user reviews that the stats of the Optoma weren't legit.
HOWEVER, there are a few SERIOUS installation problems, right out of the box. The Quick Start Guide, which has some amusing cartoons for do's and don'ts, advises M4 ceiling mount screws min 20mm and max 25mm long. This is WAY too long. I special ordered some 20mm screws since my ceiling mount didn't come with them, and they bottomed out, necessitating a bunch of washers- not ideal. The guide also says to mount the projector 630.44mm (ridiculously precise) from the ceiling. This is WAY too low if your screen is ceiling mounted and/or you'd like your picture high on the wall. You'll need to flush mount it.
I'd have loved to provide this feedback on the BenQ site, but if you go there and do a search for the HT2050, you get no hits. I didn't think this model was so old as to warrant complete deletion from their site.
I'm sure I'll be pleased in the long run, but I'm a fan of accuracy, and so far, BenQ isn't up to snuff.
on January 7, 2016
This thing is awesome! I also own a BenQ W1070 and this is a good step up. The picture seems to be brighter and more life like. It is also is just as easy to set up. I mounted it to the same bracket & in the same spot as the W1070 and it was perfect. Congrats to BenQ for another great product.

P.S. the only reason I upgraded is because I gave my last projector to my parents because the enjoyed watching the big screen at my house so much they wanted their own setup.