Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

on September 6, 2016
I'll avoid going into some of the technical details covered by other reviewers and just tell you my story. I was looking for a projector that could be used for my daughter’s birthday party, and as one of the final pieces in my garage makeover, I decided to dive into the mind-numbing research of projectors.

As someone that has never owned a projector, I really didn't need the top of the line AV line but did want 1080P with low lag and a self-powered USB outlet so I could run a streaming stick anywhere I could find power, outside our inside. It turns out the $600.00 - $1000.00 segment of projectors is quite busy with competing offers from BenQ, Optoma, Emerson etc. pitching different perks like DLP, 3D Ready, Native 3D, MHL, powered USB, Glass Lense, Aspect ratios, Brightness etc. All of these seem to be spread out over many many models, some of which classify themselves as "Home Theatre", and others that are "Office. There is also throw distance which covers short throw, long throw, and not listed which seems to be in the middle.

It was a daunting new world. For me I broke it down to what I wanted. Normal throw, higher brightness, 1080P, with awesome reviews. After many, many videos on youtube and spending way too much time on AV forums I narrowed down the playing field to DLP because LCD seems to have much less vibrancy in the picture side by side with all the screenshots I had seen. This left a few players and their versions, which can be confusing because Amazon and the vendors sell older and newer versions of the same product side by side.
I settled on either Ben Q, 1070, 2050, 3050 or Optoma HD141X, HD142X, HD27. The forums tried to push me higher up the chain but for my needs these were the right options. 3D, DLP, 1080P, powered USB, great picture, good battery life. Check.

The BenQ versions seemed to edge out the Optoma versions at nearly every review. While some of the Optomas where less expensive in the hundred to two hundred range and had some awesome features like Native 3D, high resolutions, better specs it seemed that out of the box the BenQ has the edge with amazing quality.

In the end, the price different was only negligible between the older W1070 to the HT2050 and the 3050 differences of the two didn’t wow anyone enough to recommend so I went with the 2050.

Now, how did it work? Out of the box on an Elite Screens 120” It looks amazing. Even considering I am using a Roku streaming stick and the default was 720P, I was impressed, and then overjoyed when I say MLB live with the 1080P turned on. I will leave the spec-head comments to other reviewers and just say that the picture is bright and clear, responds well and is very impressive to everyone that has seen it running in my blacked out garage. No rainbows for me!

Oh, you may be wondering about how light effects the picture. When sunlight hits the screen it dulls it considerably, but when I turn on the garage light I can still see a very good picture. I will say that for the best possible picture try to limit any ambient​ light. Also, this thing gets hot so a portable AC or fan may be needed in small places with little ventilation.

If your story is like mine know that I spent quite a bit of time reviewing and weighing the benefits of many similar projectors and ended up with this one as my choice, maybe you will do the same.
22 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2015
This is my first projector and I'm really happy with it. I can't believe what I've been missing out on. The picture is fantastic, even the black levels in darker type movies are great. We have been using it for movies, TV shows and video games with a PlayStation...zero lag noticed with fast pace gaming. I got carried away with all the reviews and comparisons out there on different projectors. They pretty much all have good reviews, just pick one and roll with it. I was torn between this one and the HT3050($999), I decided to save $200 and do not regret it. If the picture is off a little I'd never know it...it looks every bit as good as my 46" tv and probably better. We are using it with the factory default vivid mode and like it the best. It is lightweight, small and looks nice. I was going to go with the BenQ 1070 to start with but I figured I'd spend a little more and get a newer model to help with resale down the road.

I have 7 foot ceilings so I made my own mount to put it basically directly against the ceiling. The image is just a hair below the centerline of the lens(when mounted upside down) and can be adjusted farther down. I was worried I wouldn't be able to put the screen as high as I wanted but it worked out well. I bought an Elite Screens Sable Frame B2 Series, 110" screen SB110WH2($259), really nice screen by the way. I've added a picture so you can see roughly how high the screen is and how the projector is mounted(picture taken right after screen/projector was mounted,wires and sound system not dealt with yet) I used 1/2" thick by 2 1/2" wide aluminum bars, 18" long to reach over 16" on center floor joist's. I did have to machine some areas because there are some plastic sections that protrude down on the bottom of the projector. I also removed the rear adjustable feet and the pad from the front foot so the 1/2 thick mount would seat against the ceiling. Honestly a good hard 1/2" thick wood could be used for a more easily made mount...it really is light. I mounted the projector to the mounts then the mounts to the ceiling. I'm mounted about 9.5 feet from the screen and I did add about 3/32 worth of shim between the back legs of the mount and the ceiling to bring the image up just a little more. It did not affect the image squareness and helped get the screen a little closer to the ceiling. I did not use any keystone adjustment.
review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2017
I didn't want to spend more than $800 on a projector for my basement. After a lot of research I finally decided this fit my needs best based on price and my environment. I installed this in my basement that has dimming lights and no windows. I project it onto a white 120" screen and is mounted approximately 13 feet away. Overall, I am very happy with this purchase. I've hosted many sports parties since and everyone has given me compliments. One person heard I had a projector and didn't want to come over because he thought it would look blurry with poor colors. He was shocked when he saw it and has completely changed his opinion on having a projector. Definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a similar setup and budget. I keep the picture on Brilliant mode as that provides the best picture quality between brightness and colors.
on June 16, 2016
I have had this projector for a few months now and it has been great. It is very quiet and easy to setup, the colors are wonderful and it has nice inky blacks. I calibrated it with a Spyder 4 Elite and it looked almost the exact same from when it was straight out of the box.
on March 7, 2017
I got this as an upgrade to an old 720 projector. This is much brighter and 1080. First order of business: Zootopia. Looked amazing.

But, watching things with more noticeable contrast, I started to see the DLP rainbows. Only a small percentage of the population notices them, apparently. I'm one of them. Lucky me. I returned this and went for an LCD projector.

It's still a great projector, it's just not for me.
on February 17, 2017
Largest purchase ever made on Amazon. Did a lot of research, from the multiple projector enthusiasts websites, this is the best projector under $1000 in 2017.
Reason for 4 stars: the fan can get loud occasionally. needs a break after an hour or two.
4 stars because it changed my life.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 5, 2017
"Buy a Projector" was on my to-do list for about 6 months. I purged all the junk in my finished basement and was left with an 11 x 15 room that seemed perfect for a small home theater. But oh, the analysis paralysis... I kept pushing it off. I was overwhelmed and felt like I needed to make the perfect choice but didn't have enough information to make that choice.

I bought a nice large sectional to fill the room (room too small for theater seating -- but really, I like the sectional better!) ... but still was trapped in figuring out what projector to buy. I work in tech and am sufficiently geeky, but I don't follow any of the home theater enthusiast stuff. And Amazon kept promoting viewsonic, and I got stuck in the realization that what do I know about DLP vs whatever else there is ... and is reading some dedicated forums from people who seem to dedicate their whole lives to this stuff enough? ... Because I really am out of my element. Should I buy the viewsonic?

If you can relate to this - here's my bottom line: I'm 40 years old, and every time I've bought something that I had to explain as "Well this brand is really just as good as this other brand" it felt like nonstop apologetics. Everything I read comparing viewsonic to BenQ felt like that. And the prices weren't even different. So I decided I didn't want this purchase to be that. I also could have afforded more than this, but I couldn't find anything telling me I needed to spend more. And all I could find on the other brands was that they might actually be good as this model. So I finally decided to just buy this one and knock it off my todo list. And I easily installed it in my basement - using the cheapo ceiling mount that amazon recommends (QualGear PRB-717-WHT Universal Ceiling Mount Projector Accessory) And it's perfect and awesome, and not a single one of the doubts that plagued me for 6 months is there. None of it matters anymore. I'm enjoying my home theater. I have it hooked up to a fire stick which is powered from a USB port in the projector itself - so everything is running from just a single power outlet. The sound is fantastic and I'm not even thinking about speakers - it's great as is. My entire experience post-purchase reassures me that this was a great purchase.. I can't promise that the analysis on which model to buy works out for sure in the favor of this projector, but I CAN promise that setup and installation and quality was so stupidly easy and perfect, that I can't stop to think about any of the doubts I ever had.

I'm glad I bought this projector and have zero regrets. I'm enjoying our new home theater.

As someone who didn't know what I was doing, and then postponed it for months, I can say that I feel very, very good about this purchase. I wish I had just bought this one sooner. That's my only regret.
on January 7, 2016
This thing is awesome! I also own a BenQ W1070 and this is a good step up. The picture seems to be brighter and more life like. It is also is just as easy to set up. I mounted it to the same bracket & in the same spot as the W1070 and it was perfect. Congrats to BenQ for another great product.

P.S. the only reason I upgraded is because I gave my last projector to my parents because the enjoyed watching the big screen at my house so much they wanted their own setup.
on April 2, 2017
It replaced my old Yamaha. With the shorter throw distance it will be in front of the viewers. It's already much quieter than the Yamaha, but this even makes it quieter. Think of it this way.......Like screaming babies on a plane, it's quieter if they're in front of you than behind. Much room for error as far as placement, too. I have a 93" screen so placement can be in about a 2' range averaging about 7' from the screen. Sine my screen was already up I didn't know how low from the ceiling it should hang. A call to support answered this easily.....12-17". Again a good amount of leeway. The projector itself has lots of adjustments. And the picture? Couldn't be happier.
on November 21, 2016
Worth every dollar. This thing out did my 70inch 4k Sony TV.

I bought it for the movie experience.

1080p is actually 1080p no weird caveots.

Only knock I have for this thing is I wish I had the ability to shift the image side to side not just vertical.

If you're looking for a simple setup that will blow you away for a mere 1500 all inclusive setup this is it. I can't imagine not having a projector setup anymore.

I was able to get 148inches out of a 15ft throw at full 1080P.

Benq all day over the Epson 2040 or Optoma hd27.