Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beneath a Blue Umbrella
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on August 19, 1999
This was my cousin's favorite book as a child. Jack Prelutsky did a good job of it. Even though the book is about as long as a novel, my baby cousin (now nine and a half) sat through the whole book. When she got up to Anna Banana, she would hold her hands up in the air like she was walking on them. The poems, (some based on familiar nursery rhymes) others totally original, are still staples around our household. I would reccomend it to any child. --Robert Metz
on October 25, 2014
This was my favorite library book growing up and was so happy to find it online for a great price. The poems and illustrations brought back memories. The seller delivered it on time and in perfect condition.
on December 28, 2014
Very nice. Amusing poems, catchy, rhythmic language. "Beneath a blue umbrella, a melon seller sat/ Selling yellow melons, succulent and fat. A huge and hungry hippo made the melon seller mad,/when he swallowed all the melons that the melon seller had."
I read this collection of poems to my children often when they were about 2-5 years old, and it was great for building their appreciation of the richness of language, and of course, their vocabulary! We had a lot of laughs reading these poems, and memorized several of them. A few of the poems aren't as witty or well-written as the rest, but overall it's a great collection.
on April 23, 2013
Jack Prelutsky is king of children's poetry that rhymes. The poetry is nicely paired with Garth Williams illustrations of young kids, animals and whatever else is described.

The poetry is really adorable the rhyming of each poem just flows together as if the words were just meant to shine together.

The first couple of poems are cute and somewhere in the middle of the book they become less imaginative and exciting.

I think children will appreciate the poems and there rhymes. I prefer the poetry about fantasy animals like dragons which were featured in another book of poems by Prelutsky called The Dragons Are Singing Tonight.
on June 1, 2013
Read with rhythm and your little ones will know modern places and things. I give this book when the second baby is born to family and friends. I give Prelutsky's earlier book, Ride a Purple Pelican, when the first baby is expected. Unfortunately, the books are out of print. Fortunately, Amazon seems to find them periodically, so I stock up.
on July 15, 2012
Though I'm not normally drawn to poetry, I found and bought this for my niece almost 20 years ago because the rhymes concern U.S. geography, and I thought they were so cute. My sister recently told me that the book has been a favorite of all five of her kids, and now I'm on here looking to buy a copy for my own daughter.

Update: Now I own my own copy and I can say that out of the 28 silly poems, all but 11 mention a place in the United States. They are:
Baltimore, Maryland
Capitol (picture shows DC)
Eek (illustration implies Alaska)
Great Salt Lake
Idaho
Iowa
Joplin
Key West
Maine
Mississippi valley (in Tennesse)
Montana
Nome
Oregon
Philadelphia
Point Barrow
Sedalia (poem also mentions Joplin)
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Wichita
Wisconsin
Wheeling
on May 14, 2007
Bought this because my 18-month old son LOVES "The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders" by the same author. But this book doesn't have the same charm. The poems aren't as good. And it's a different illustrator, whose pictures don't seem to grab my son the way the "Frog" book does. When I start reading this book to my son, he tries to squirm away or just looks bored. When I take out the "Frog" book, his eyes light up and he gets all excited and claps and can't wait for me to start reading.