Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on March 15, 2017
If I could say 0 I would my grade is affected by this. Not happy at all with this book. There are several pages missing at least 4 entire exercises missing that I was not able to complete.
on February 10, 2012
This lab manual has many great experiments within it that help one to better understand the world of bacteria around us. This is an entry level style text that does not really require any previous knowledge upon the subject. I would recommend this book to anyone. I used this in a lab course at Indiana University and it was extremely useful.
on January 11, 2014
I used this in my Microbiology Lab in University. The material is very clearly written and easy to understand! It was a summer course with two 4-hour labs a week. My professor would occasionally change the procedures slightly, but not because of any real problems with the text. It was usually a limitation based on the availability of organisms for class use, or to make the organization of organism use appropriate for different lab groups.

It's a great text that gives basic information, and has other chapters introducing more complicated Medical Microbiology topics.

I would recommend this lab manual for students interested in supplementing their understanding of Microbiology with actual laboratory methods, or for professors looking for an easily comprehensible manual to teach their students anything from the basics of Microbiology to the more complicated Medical applications of the field!

I hope this review helps!

Below are SOME topics in the book from basic to beyond:

*Introductions to methods of microscopy
*introductions to organisms, types, classifications and attributes (cocci, bacilli, etc)
*Observation for preference for growth (temperatures, oxygen levels, salt contents, etc
*Stain techniques (gram, spore, negative, simple, acid-fast, etc)
*Look at different kinds of agars, and learn about selective, differential, enriched, etc
*Learning about Coliforms in water and product industry such as meat production, and learning about E. coli and Enterobacter
*Applications and observations of sanitizing solutions and antibiotics
*Medical Micro-Staphylococcus and Streptococcus, isolating the organisms from our own/our partners' bodies
*Techniques for reacting organisms with solutions for an outcome (using Kovak's reagent, Hydrogen Peroxide with S. aureus, etc)
*Final lab projects to determine unknown organisms from Professor's stock solutions. Using knowledge and lessons from previous labs to observe qualities of organisms. Able to look at temperatures, oxygen requirements, reactions with chemicals, and qualitative features from Microscopy to agar plate qualities
on February 21, 2013
I needed this book for my micro class. Very good quality for a better price than my college. It was easy to follow and understand the concepts. Came when it was supposed to also. No complaints.
on July 22, 2014
I purchased this used and I am a bit disappointed in how used it was. The rating was "good" but when I got it, it was trashed. The binding was mangled and some pages were torn or missing. I was disappointed, but what can I really expect with a used book bought sight unseen.

As for the text, it's just blah. The introductions do little to stimulate the reader and the topics covered are not at all presented in a way that is clear for the laboratory experiments I am doing. The one saving grace is the index of organisms used throughout the manual in the front. This has really helped since some of the experiments I've done have gone sideways and I was unable to acquire the correct results.

It was required for the class so I cannot entirely bash the manual, but I do have to grumble at the quality and a bit at the author's poor style.
on October 19, 2013
I got it "with time" but trust me its a good, deal.
Cheaper than what they sell at the school bookstore and new.
Will recommend people to order it at the beginning of school so it has like a few days to get to them, but really I love this service, thank you Jesus for amazon.
on September 6, 2013
I bought this lab book August 22, 2013. While doing homework, I realized that I am missing two labs (53 & 54). I would not recommend buying from this particular buyer. If I would have looked closer, I would have realized there was another review saying that someone else is missing labs from their manual.
on February 26, 2014
I like the book. The book is spiral that is the only downer about it. If you buy, you should be very careful while handle its pages.
on August 23, 2015
There are lots of pages ripped out of this book that is required for my class. I am not happy about this.
on September 24, 2013
Very good product for a great price has been more sturdy than the books you could purchase at the school.