Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bergan Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Color: Assorted 1 pack|Change
Price:$12.57 - $94.44

Showing 1-10 of 579 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on January 14, 2004
The turbo scratcher is simply a plastic circular base with a ball that rolls around the track on the outer edge. It has cardboard corrugating medium as a clawing area on the inner part of the circle. It is very simple, yet highly effective.
I don't know why, but this has been a success with every cat -- young and old -- that I have seen around it (15 different cats). Once they get the ball moving, it really flies around the track! The younger cats manage to pull the ball out of it within 10 minutes, but they have a blast in those ten minutes. The smartest cats realize that it is more fun when it does stay in the track, though. A word of advice: don't put this in or near your bedroom. If your cat feigns disinterest when you first bring it home, watch out if you are a light sleeper -- a couple of hours into sleep you will wake with a start to the sound of the ball whipping around the track over and over and over again.
The two 14-year old cats that I currently reside with love this thing. They aren't usually interested in toys (in our presence), but did manage a very disinterested tapping of the turbo ball if they were sitting on the mat anyway. These senior cats' main interests in the Turbo Scratcher are 1) using it as a meditation/sleeping spot --- it is so much more sophisticated than sitting ON the floor, and 2) actually scratching it (and these two are declawed!).
The fact that the ball comes out of the track so easily is a small disappointment (granted the cats do have to grab it with both paws to pull it out). You can easily pop the ball back into place, but some of us have too many places that the cats can hide such a small item.
Besides that, after 4 years, all our cats still use it daily. As a toy, well, its success may depend on the age and personality of the cat. As a scratching post, however, it is the only one I have ever bought that all the cats consistently used as such (though they do still get use out of the couch, too). I have been a "cat caretaker" for many many years so I do have some experience with several different types of scratching posts and this is by far the best.
1010 comments| 405 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2010
Hello,

You'll see a video below of one of our cats having fun with this new toy. We've had it now for a good 4 months and our younger cat still plays with the ball, whereas the older cat uses it mainly as a scratcher. The scratching part itself is easy to take off and flip over, so each one you can use twice. With two cats, I'd say the scratcher lasts a good 2 months per side which is good for how small it is.

It does make some noise when the cats roll it around. At night we can hear it through the doors, but nothing we mind or keeps you up. Pretty cute if you ask me!

Thanks
Danny
VINE VOICEon August 7, 2005
This is a great cat toy. My kitten adores it. He's going crazy on it right now. As someone else mentioned, it amuses both cat and keeper.

For what it costs ($15+ in the past, better now at around $10), however, I was a little surprised at how insubstantial it is. The plastic is very light, and there is nothing to prevent it from skating across a hard floor. Of course, that could amuse the cat as well, but I'd rather it stay still for now so I'll probably put rubber on the bottom somewhere. To be fair, the directions do say to place it on a carpeted surface, but we don't all have those! The cardboard center (basically a lonnng strip of cardboard coiled into a disk) is held in place by 4 tiny plastic tabs, and one of them was broken already when I received my unit. This probably isn't a big deal, unless the cat really pulls up hard while scratching, although I'm not sure how I'll replace it without breaking the others.

The ball is pretty weighty, and rolls gloriously around the track. For extra fun, you can add some jingly balls in the track to mess with your cat....
on April 27, 2015
I like it and my cat, who is very old and not very enthusiastic about toys in general, plays with it sometimes. For seconds. Knowing him as I know, I would say it is quite impressive hehe After a few seconds, he just ends up cutely sitting in the middle of the toy or lying down on the ball to make it stop moving. This is my toothless lazy guy. Sigh.
on March 13, 2014
My cat doesn't bother scratching this, but that doesn't mean other cats will not like it either.
When I spinned the ball she would put her paw there to stop it. She only likes eating the cardboard from scratchers.

I know a cat that uses boxes like these http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-SB-Scratch-Box/dp/B0009RTECY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1394743991&sr=8-7&keywords=cat+scratch+boxes
So I bought it for my cat and she didn't like it either.

So I've concluded she just doesn't like cardboard to scratch with. She doesn't like sisal either but she loves the carpet type material on scratchers. So if your cat doesn't bother with this try other scratching materials because they might just not like cardboard.

This is what I got her that she uses http://www.target.com/p/boots-barkley-cat-wave-scratcher/-/A-14779308#prodSlot=medium_1_10&term=cat+scratcher
and
review image review image
on November 1, 2015
My cat loves this! He's particular about what he scratches on, and it's almost always "soft" surfaces (couches or beds versus, say, tables or dressers). He is very much a fan of cardboard, and I feel sometimes has a lack of stimulation while I am at work, so I looked around for the type of scratching pad I remember having for my childhood kitty.

Bingo, the Bergan Turbo Scratcher was it! For under $13, this was a no-brainer. He uses the scratcher all the time, and probably spends a good 20 minutes a day just playing with the ball inside the track on this toy. He tries as hard as he can to actually pull it out of the track (he has seen me do it), but he's not succeeded yet. The fact that replacement scratching pads are about 2 for five bucks means that I pretty much only have to spend about $12 a year to keep my couch in good shape. I'll take it!

There WAS a problem with my item: the second I pulled this out of the box, I realized the label was glued on with SO MUCH ADHESIVE that I literally had to cut a hole out of the scratching pad. Without knowing what kind of adhesive was used (it seemed like a tackier/softer version of "hot glue"), and with it being a quarter-sized glob, I just decided to cut the chunk out once I realized it had been applied entirely through the cardboard. I'd tell the person whose job it is to apply adhesive to think about the idea of applying a large glob of molten adhesive to a honeycomb-like porous surface, and how it is a bad idea.

I'm giving this 4-stars for that rather silly quality control issue. This product was shrink-wrapped and the label was placed under the tabs that hold the scratching pad in place. NO adhesive needed to be applied, but if a company feels the need then they should apply a layer of adhesive to the LABEL, not a large amount of glue to the product itself.

Otherwise, this is a great, SIMPLE product that many cats will enjoy! Just replace the scratching pads and buy a replacement ball every few years (also on Amazon!) and this will last for GENERATIONS of little furry companions.
on March 23, 2015
My cat absolutely loves this and spends hours playing with the ball. She doesn't care much for the cardboard inserts and hasn't really attempted clawing at it. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because it is easily moved across the floor because it doesn't have any sort of grip at the bottom to keep it in place, which causes a lot of unnecessary extra noise having it scratch all over the floor.
on July 16, 2016
Gotta be honest with you. I am slightly disappointed in the product. This thing got such great reviews, I was totally stoked on being able to watch my cat swat that ball around like a blissful idiot. Well that didn't happen. However, I did after all buy this for my cat, not for me, and my cat still seems to like it. She enjoys laying halfway on it (Why do cats love laying on the most uncomfortable things?!) and she does use it to scratch a bit (which is also a big reason why I bought it). My cat has swatted at the ball once or twice while laying on it, however considering she was laying on it, it's of course not going to go around and around, so it just hit her back side, then she kinda flips over and continues laying on it. Maybe she doesn't know how to use it. I have rolled the ball by hand in front of her to show her what it does, but she just doesn't go after it. I think it might move too quickly for her or something, I dunno. My cat usually goes after anything that moves so I was surprised to see she wasn't into this toy. But I definitely needed some toys for my cat, and this was one of the ones I purchased. She seems to like it, even though she doesn't use it for its purpose. I'd give it 5 stars if she actually played with it. Kudos on the intelligent design. The ball does come out of the track, but only if you pull really hard on it (there's kind of a lip at the top to keep the ball from coming out easily). The "scratching" part is really just cardboard. It works, but I'm not sure how long it'll last.
VINE VOICEon July 1, 2005

For what it costs, however, I was a little surprised at how insubstantial it is. The plastic is very light, and there is nothing to prevent it from skating across a hard floor. Of course, that could amuse the cat as well, but I'd rather it stay still for now so I'll probably put rubber on the bottom somewhere. The cardboard center (basically a lonnng strip of cardboard coiled into a disk) is held in place by 4 tiny plastic tabs, and one of them was broken already when I received my unit. This probably isn't a big deal, unless the cat really pulls up hard while scratching, although I'm not sure how I'll replace it without breaking the others.
on January 28, 2014
My kittie " Hannah Nicole" just loves this toy, I'll bet she plays with it at least 5 times a day. Sometimes when were asleep we hear this weird noise and think "what the hell is that?" then we remember it's the new cat toy and Hannah is at it again....