Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Berkley Fireline (Crystal, 300 yds)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on March 21, 2007
Berkeley Fireline is a technological phenomenon because it might be the diameter of an 8 # test monofilament line, but Fireline will be a 20# test line. This means there are fewer "break offs" and with a 20# test line, the loss of lures to snags is lessened. You just pull the lure free.

This is a finely BRAIDED line, which is the secret of its tremendous strength. Visibility turns out not be a factor. However, if used for toothy fish such as Walleye or Pike or Muskellunge, a good 20# or 30# monofilament leader is an asset. Personally, I use a 40# monfilament leader.

Fireline can be connected to monofilament using a SAN DIEGO KNOT, which permits the connection to retain 95% of its original strength. (Knots are always the weakest link!)

There are other braided lines on the market. Most are quite good.

on June 9, 2008
I have purchased this fishing string for bead weaving purposes. Berkeley manufactures this string with a different label for bead weaving purposes. After contacting the company I found that it was in fact the same as the fishing string. This string is excellent for bead weaving with size 15 or 11 seed beads, especially if you have to weave through a bead several times. The string is very strong and long lasting.
VINE VOICEon March 4, 2013
My father and I have been using Fireline for over 12 years after some fishing guides introduced us to it.. We mainly use it for inshore saltwater fishing although my dad also uses it for bass in Wisconsin. We use a fluorocarbon leader attached with a surgeons knot and it performs admirably for both applications. I've tried numerous other fishing lines (mono, braided, fused, you name it) and nothing comes close to matching Fireline. It's durable, reliable, castable, and ultra-sensitive. The original Fireline and the Fireline Crystal are very similar. The only difference is that the Crystal is slightly less stiff and easier to cast so that's what we use. However, we still have some old spools with the original Fireline and that stuff's great too. I'm amazed at how well old Fireline still holds up. Don't worry about the visibility of this line. That's what leader is for. The white and the high-vis colors are both great. The fish don't see it but you can which helps detect your bites, maintain a straight line and fight your fish. We've caught copious amounts of just about every species of inshore gulf fish on this line but mostly it's used on redfish, trout, and snook. We've pulled some very big fish out of some very hairy spots with this line and it rarely fails us. I will never use anything else.
on November 19, 2013
This is my favorite fishing line, and I fish a lot, mostly for bass, walleye and panfish. Especially for bass and walleye, you can feel every little bump on the bottom when jig-fishing, drop-shotting, or Texas-rigging, and unless the water is extremely clear, you don't have to worry about the line spooking fish. Most of the time, though, I tie on a flourocarbon leader anyway, just to make sure. I usually tie the braid with a palomar or Trilene knot; don't use the old traditional clinch knot. For joining to flourocarbon, back-to-back uni-knot works, but use at least nine wraps of the fireline. If you use the traditional six wrap uni-knot with this line, it will not survive. You can get away with six wraps on the flourocarbon; any more makes the knot bulky.
on January 12, 2013
Fresh and saltwater, I use nothing but Fireline. It has a treatment on it which imparts some stiffness and makes it act a bit more like mono. If you have tried other braids and found them to "thread like", try Fireline. I can't stand PowerPro for that reason, endless wind knots.
Eventually, that stiffness wears off and you need to replace (or reverse on your spool) the line. If the stiffness would last, I would give it 5 stars.
on January 10, 2012
This fishing line is super-tough. It's micro-braided, so you can handle it just like an ordinary mono, and definitely not slippery unlike other braided ones, tying knots in this one is easy. Although it will curl a bit, I can't really say that it retains memory.
on May 29, 2015
Be careful with this stuff. Most is good but you have a very high probability of receiving a bad batch when you buy it online. Occasionally the test strength is only about ½ what it says. Only use palomar knots or berkley braid knots on this line. Every other knot will fail quickly! Of course, Ive had so many properly tied braid friendly knots snap with my last three orders of this line that I no longer use it.
on April 1, 2015
I have been a great fan of Fireline for beading projects since I took a class years ago and my instructor introduced me to this wonderful thread/line. The price of "fishing line" compared to "beading thread" (which is, in fact, the same material and same size) is AMAZING.
on September 10, 2014
I've been using Fireline for 11 years for bead weaving. The last two 300 yd reels I just bought is driving me crazy. The thread is splitting and shredding almost as soon as I thread the needle once. Is there someone alse out there that is having the same problem. Friends of mine who bead too are having the same problem with their last purchases of Fireline. Bercley is denying any change in their formula in the manufacturing of they Fireline. Help!
on April 15, 2013
I used to use Nymo and other threads exclusively, and was reluctant to switch to Fireline because it was more expensive. Making a few pair of seed bead earrings using the fireline has made me a convert though. It is strong, gives a piece weight and structure, and doesn't tangle as frequently. There is also no more splitting threads. This is a great price on the material, and I have received fast shipping both of the times I have purchased it. This is a great product.