Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on October 3, 2010
Super job on the way this collection was assembled! This compilation has a little bit of the essential Doves recordings from each of their studio albums, a few bonus tracks from the expanded editions of the first two albums, and a few other lively and energetic numbers that are either new recordings or rarities that I've never come across before.

Some of my favorites include "Ambition" (Which has a melancholy, ballad-like, echo-drenched beautiful atmosphere to it, and makes the perfect closer to the "Some Cities" album, from which it came), "Darker" (Love the crisp sounds of the drums and ringing guitars on this rocker. A shame that the tail-ends of the previous tracks on both this release and "Lost Sides" are cross-faded with the intro to this song ... The only place I know that has a clean introduction to "Darker," without any cross-fades, is the expanded edition of "Lost Souls," with the three bonus tracks), "M62 Song" (Reminds me of "Radiohead," and I like the whining sound, which reminds me of a wolf howling), "Northenden" (A track that I immediately enjoyed upon my first listen, when I discovered it on a now out-of-print four-song bonus CD that came with a special edition of "The Last Broadcast," which my brother was fortunate to get hold of ... Love the soft, dreamy atmosphere to the song ... Has a folk-like sound to it), "Rise" (Which has the sound of what I like to call a heavily-echoed, slowed down harpsichord that opens up and closes out the song, and distorted Moody Blues "Dear Diary" like vocals), "The Sulphur Man" (Including a dramatic brass/string-like intro and ascending flute-like effects on the choruses), "Valley" (This one grabs my attention with both powerful vocals and harpsichords right from the intro), and "Your Shadow Lay Across My Life" (Also found on "Lost Sides," and which reminds me a little bit of "Catch The Sun," with an even happier atmosphere ... Both vocalists shine on this one, as they take turns singing).

For the re-mixes, "Firesuite (Noise Version)" while a bit short, was well presented and sounds just like what the song title reads ... I simply love the orchestral effects and this is the perfect way to finish off the second disc in this collection! "Friday's Dust (Capitol Tower Session)" is pretty neat, and sounds like an unplugged/acoustic version of the song ... I miss the eerie clarinet and string sections that were featured on the version from "The Last Broadcast," though. "Willow's Song (Bury Version)" sounds incredible here ... You get quite a boost from both the guitars and keyboards on this mix, and everything heavily echoed! Another dream-like atmosphere is provided on this track. :)

"Andalucia" and "Blue Water" (Which is omitted from the product description, as I write this) sound like they were recorded during the making of "Lost Souls" ... "Blue Water" has a similar structure to "Here It Comes." They both sound magnificent, though! "The Last Son" sounds like it could fit somewhere in the middle of "Some Cities," and the joyous electric guitar riffs and harmonica sound superb on it ... I love the melodies and energy on these tracks. "The Drifter" has a Christmas/Hip Hop atmosphere to it and sounds like the kind of song you might hear on a movie soundtrack ... There's a lot of feeling and emotion in the vocals on this composition, a nice steady beat, and very fine presentation.

The DVD collection was okay ... Wasn't crazy about the videos that excluded the band in the actual video footage (Ex. The one with the man building a rocking chair). "Catch The Sun" was my favorite and had a psychedelic feel to it with bright green and red tones within the video quality ... Overall, this was a satisfactory collection of songs to feature for the videos. :)

A shame that "Best of" left out other rarities like "Hit The Ground Running" and "Far From Grace," but I suppose that would take away from the "Lost Sides" collection. "Break Me Gently" (Or at least a remix of the track ... Found an awesome ten-minute remix on YouTube), "New York," and "Compulsion" are my favorite tracks that were not chosen for this release, but no big deal.

Overall, everything that was included on this release is "Gold Star"/"Perfect Ten" material, by me. Pick this up whether you're looking to complete your "Doves" collection or want the perfect introduction to the band. Thanks for reading and God Bless! :)
on September 23, 2013
I love this cd. I was only familiar with one song by the Doves, and I decided to try the best of as it had some wonderful reviews. It was even better than I expected. I am anxiously awaiting for them to hurry and come out of their two year break for some more wonderful music!
on June 22, 2015
It's a real shame that this talented group broke up in 2010. Every cut on this album was an original--nothing formulaic about their sound.
on March 4, 2013
This could have been 4 discs if ya ask me. I truly love this band and their ability to blend beats and guitar and the haunting vocals. I love it.
The "best of" compilation is a great listen start to finish. Disc 2 is great with tracks I never heard.
on March 9, 2016
brillz
on January 20, 2015
Doves are awesome!
on December 21, 2014
Excellent.
on May 28, 2010
If you are a late comer to the Doves fan club, this is a great way to catch up with their work. I had never listened to them until 2 albums ago and a friend said if I like Elbow, I would love these guys. He was right!
on May 31, 2010
The "Best Of" CD is great. I'm surprised by some of the omissions, but it does a good job of highlighting the Doves entire catalog--although it's a little bit geared toward the first two albums. The new song "Andalucia", is okay. Nothing really to get excited about.

Disc Two has a couple of new songs, though the majority of songs can be found on other compilations and singles.

Considering this is a "Best Of" compilation, I'm a little surprised by the lack of "extras". The packaging is very simple and bland. I don't know, maybe I was expecting a little bit more from this package.
on May 27, 2011
MP3 download is only 1st half of the record.
There is no mention of this and I was really mad about it.
I would have paid more for all of it.

Buyer beware.