Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 5, 2015
Just revisited this book after reading it when it first came out in 2008. Still a gem! Organized so the reader can either jump to the "10 best ever" techniques, or read first about how the brainmakes us anxious, this is still the seminole self-help book on dealing with anxiety. The "10 Techinques" are simple to understand and easy to implement ..... anyone can do them, which is why this book is so useful. I recomend it as a great investment for anyone looking for a practical guide to managing anxiety.
on April 6, 2015
I am currently in DBT focused therapy to deal with my borderline personality disorder. I had a particularly bad anxiety attack at my last visit and he had this book on hand and used one of the breathing awareness techniques on me with my eyes closed first drawing awareness of my breath then nearby surroundings and so on. It worked very effectively. He recommended the book and its a must have for sufferers of anxiety, panic and stress ( which is pretty much everyone right? Lol). Its a great easy read. You will be amazed at the ability to transform yourself as well as the energy you bring to others just through recognizing and realizing the power of your own breathing!
on October 17, 2017
I highly recommend this book. It begins by explaining the biological reasons for anxiety in terms the average person can understand. Each of the 10 techniques are explained concisely, with helpful patient stories as examples of why and how they work. They are straightforward simple things to implement but I can already see how they will help me take control. The book is laid out in a way that will make it easy to use as a reference.
on August 18, 2017
My doc and I talk about his book every meeting. So much information and so easy to understand. No matter your levels of anxiety, this book can lead you to some self treatment helpers.
on June 3, 2013
I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for a very long time.

This book should be given to everyone as soon as they are diagnosed. It covers a lot about the brain chemicals and gives practical suggestions about how you can work through your symptoms. Margaret explains exactly what your brain is going through when you feel anxious. She gives incredibly useful advice at how certain techniques can counter the symptoms produced by your brain. It was so helpful to me and I've read a lot about managing anxiety.

I also enjoyed the discussion about whether or not to take medication. I felt that this was very balanced and can be helpful for those questioning whether or not to try medication.

Seriously, this book was fantastic. I've struggled with several books that focused on the mindset, not taking into account that you can't think logically when triggered. This helped me so much
on December 20, 2015
The Lady knows what she's talking about. The book is a good read with helpful hints to manage anxiety (just like the title says). I believe this book would work well when you refer to it while doing some CBT as well. The additional help you get from a Professional while in CBT can help you remember to use the techniques contained within in everyday life with consistency and at the right time.
on September 22, 2015
good, common sense advise in one book.

not anything new or that you can't find elsewhere, though. if you want a quick read that gives you all the commonly-used/recommended ways to treat anxiety, this is a good one.

also, read david burns, which may be available at your local library.
on January 18, 2016
This book helps. The methods in the book are not perfect, but they work.
on July 14, 2012
This was a very helpful book.

It is written at a high academic level but also is easy to read and understand. The points made are reassuring and the exercises given are useful and can be effective.

I would recommend this book to others suffering from anxiety or depression.

Of course, if you are having thoughts of harming yourself or others, please seek professional help.
on March 23, 2010
I've had super-strong anxiety all my life, on and off with depression. Everybody knows the best way to help yourself permanently is a combination of medicine and behaviour modification, so after years of only doing the former, I set out to find the best information to tackle the latter.

I looked at a million books online and in the library, bought a few, but by miles this is the best one of the lot. If you can only buy ONE book in your life to help you, make it this one.

It is a fascinating read from beginning to end. I came to it not really caring why or how my brain was making me anxious- I just knew I wanted to stop how I was feeling. In fact, the most interesting part of the book is explaing how and why your brain causes your anxiety. Far from being a dry medical monologue of terminology and bio-chemistry, the information and the way it was presented was more like watching a fascinating documentry on Discovery Health. The information is solid and presented in a passionate and entertaining way (without dumbing anything down either, I might add) which says something for the author's talent and style. I found myself smiling or chuckling sometimes when she'd explain a concept and why it works, and while I'm turning the page my brain is yelping, "Yeah, but so what! What if x, y or z is happening to you, then it's not going to work is it!?" only to read on the next page when she continues that she's ALREADY thought of my secret protestation, and goes on to shoot it down with logic and facts. Very funny!

This isn't a top 10 list like an extended Oprah magazine article, nor is it a finger wagging book telling you things like if you are feeling anxious to go write in your gratitude journal or take a bubble bath and give yourself affirmations in a mirror. These are very real, true ways that work with how a human brain naturally works itself: you are teaching yourself ways to override the chunk of your brain that is causing the anxiety response with another physical area of your brain that will control another action- your brain simply is not built to do both styles of things at once. You are forcing it by will to complete another task so it is unable to fire out those messages of anxiety. It really is an unbelievable read. After being this way my entire life from childhood to adulthood, I can say that after putting these techniques into practise that I am not that same person anymore, my life has improved dramatically and I am happier, more calm, less prone to depression and all-around a healthier person. Just buy the book. It is impossible that you won't find it helpful, yourself.
33 comments| 383 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse