Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 147 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
on April 25, 2013
This is a fun fun book. My 2yo requests this title be read over and over and over again. I don't mind reading it 5x in a row, unlike some other titles.

It juxtaposes how a baby does things - eating with hands for example, versus how the big sister does the same thing - eating with a fork and spoon. You lift a flap to see how the big sister performs the activity. My daughter enjoys lifting the flap on every page and anticipating the answer. Simple book with lovely illustrations demonstrates the differences, to a small child, between what they can do and what baby can do. In my opinion, it helps the big sister develop a sense of pride in what she can do all by herself and in how she is the big kid. I also think that she enjoys reading a book where she is the subject.

The book refers to "my little brother" and "my little sister" so it is appropriate for both sexes of little siblings.

The only drawbacks that you might find -
The book shows the Big Sister pooping in the potty and sleeping in a big girl bed. While my daughter is not exactly doing these things yet - we are working on them. At first, I thought she might find this confusing, but instead I find her modeling the behavior, she says, "I poop in the potty!"even if she is not 100% there with the potty.
on April 11, 2017
I love this author's books, however the "lift the flap" is more like "lift the page." Her other books are more fun for my toddler because there are smaller sections you can lift.
on August 9, 2010
This is a very sweet book for preparing a child for a new little brother or sister. It gives all kinds of comparisons showing your little one what he can do that his new sibling won't be able to. *However*, it's only really appropriate for children of a specific age range. It expects that the "big brother" will be potty trained, be able to read, be able to drink from a cup, talk, run, etc. For my 2 year old (not yet potty trained or reading) I worry it may actually confuse him (because he can't do the things the "big brother" is supposed to).

For the right age, this would be a great book, but not for many ages.
on March 28, 2017
This is a cute book to use as a prop for a new baby announcement. It has a large print from cover for photos. The text inside is good, keeps the little one's interest.
on June 1, 2017
I bought this for big brother expecting a baby sister. I assumed the baby in the book would be genderless, just "baby". Some pages have a baby brother and others having a baby sister....very confusing for young children who are already confused.
on June 13, 2017
This is a very cute book that encourages the older daughter to be proud of growing up.
Thank goodness for that!
It has been a help for me!
on May 19, 2011
I bought a number of books for my 2year old in preparation for our new baby, but this one has been the best. It's not dippy, drippy sentimental, and doesn't use euphemisms that sail over a 2 year old's head. Just a few simple, concret examples of what big sister can do that baby cannot in the areas of potty, dressing, eating, etc. I waited until the baby was 4 months old and for the big sister to master some of the examples in the book before breaking it out. It's been on the must read list every night and the big sister frequently just carries it around the house while engaged in other play. She is very proud to be doing the things that big sisters can do. I think this is perfect for a 2-3 year age gap and could spread a little further. We've loved our other Katz books, as well. Our big sister has memorized each big sister task and we "read" it together which is even more fun.
on August 15, 2017
Very cute book. I read it to my son while I was pregnany
on January 24, 2016
My son loves this. After reading about three times, he'd already memorized a lot of it (which makes him even more enthusiastic about reading it). And, he has "learned" some things about babies in the process -- will tell us about big boy underwear and how abides drink milk and can't talk etc. Our second hasn't arrived yet, but this seems like a good book for helping prepare toddlers for becoming big siblings.
on August 15, 2017