Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Best Friends Forever Hardcover – July 14, 2009
|New from||Used from|
Pierced by the Sun
A gripping tale of murder and redemption by the author of Like Water for Chocolate. Learn More
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From Publishers Weekly
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
From Bookmarks Magazine
Top Customer Reviews
Best Friends Forever is the newest book by Weiner and features Addie and Valerie who were best friends in primary school and ended up at opposite ends of the popularity chain in high school, which pretty much separated them until they meet up again as adults. Although they haven't kept in touch at all, Valerie will show up on the other's doorstep, in full bloom trouble - asking for help in this whoddunnit type of mini-mystery, intertwined with the two women trying to find themselves and each other throughout the storyline. There is a message here - which basically is that you never know what will happen in your life and looks and appearance can be deceiving and that, in your life, friendship and support are extremely important and worth fighting for.
While there are some cute episodes and some actually touching moments, I did not find this book all that interesting. The premise is kind of usual and I feel as though I have read this story, in different installments, throughout the years. The main characters are okay and the writing is fine, but I just did not find myself getting all involved and committed to this book and I certainly would not qualify this one as chick litty at all.
1) The story is not at all believable. I can't imagine, even for a second, that a chief of police, even in a small town, would launch an extensive investigation into a puddle of blood. No body, no injured party filing a complaint, no witness who saw someone get hurt. Just a puddle of blood. And it wasn't even a big puddle. How much time has this guy got on his hands? I also don't believe that Addie would go along with Val's wacky road trip. Nothing we know about her suggests that she would. So, basically, the whole premise is ridiculous.
2) I'm irritated about all of the key plot points that are strategically held back until some later moment in the book. I know it's supposed to create tension, but it was just irritating. It also made it hard to get to know the characters.
3) I don't really care about anyone in the book. Sorry, but they're all so bland, it's difficult.
4) Where's the humor? Jennifer Weiner's strong point is humor. Nobody in this book is funny, or even seems to have much of a personality.
5) It's very predictable. I can't be the only one who knew what the strange abdominal growth was the moment it was first mentioned.
I loved "Good in Bed," but it seems to me that Ms. Weiner's books are getting progressively less entertaining. They mostly have the same themes - there's always a traumatized overweight girl, and a friend (or sister) who is ditzy but has a heart of gold. Honestly, it's getting old. I'm glad I got this book from the library instead of buying it. I doubt I'll even bother to check out the next one.
My favorite part of the novel was the flashbacks to the girls' childhoods. Jen brilliantly captures what it feels like to be ten and to have a very best friend with whom you share everything.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I will admit it is not one of the best novels I have read but I still enjoyed it. If you are looking for a good contemporary read for the summer just to read then this is right up... Read morePublished 16 days ago by Amazon Customer
I had a hard time reading this book and it keeping my interest. And the ending just left you hanging to purchase the next book. I have no intention of buying the next bookPublished 1 month ago by The reader
This book is amazing. It's the first one I've read from Jennifer Weiner and I can say I'm pretty impressed. I didn't know what to expect, really. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Adelina
I loved this book. I love the writer's style, and now want to read her other books. Easy read, enjoyable, gripping.Published 2 months ago by Parent of Teens
... That didn't add up. She's a much better writer than this. I am pretty disappointed that I wasted my money on this bookPublished 2 months ago by Nicol M Ford
Excellent beach read. Keeps you interested and wanting to know what comes next. Have to admit that Jennifer Weiner is my new favorite author!Published 2 months ago
It was an easy read. Fluff and not much thinking required. Left room for a sequel. Easy read for a rainy weekendPublished 2 months ago by Pamela Guerra