Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Best Of The J. Geils Band
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 23, 2007
Rhino's 2-disc set left off two songs I really enjoyed. Though they weren't the biggest hits of the group's EMI years, "Come Back" (#32, 1980) was a sharp rock/disco hybrid and "Angel in Blue" (#40, 1982) was a nice slow song about a lady "who never had dreams, so they never came true." I didn't say they're classics, just that I liked them.

The down side is that 2 of the band's 3 biggest chart hits on Atlantic (Must of Got Lost and Lookin' For a Love) are presented in live versions. This is a one-disc collection that's pretty full, however (74 mins.). There wasn't enough room to show off the band's live prowess and still include every studio hit. And the live versions of Lookin' For a Love and Must of Got Lost are really good. Recommendation: enjoy the live stuff here and spring for the other "Best of". (The one with the bowling pins.)
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2006
Much better track selection and sound than Flashback and more concise than the box set. Finally a Best Of that is not missing key tracks. Good liner notes too. Highly recommended.
on June 22, 2013
I bought the CD...but I heard a friend that they bought the mp3 and did not get all the songs from the CD.
The CD is exactly from the album plus a few extras. This is by far the BEST J.GEILS CD. It has all their hits plus...The live songs are their best, they are what was played on the Radio, not the studio versions in which some reviewers have suggested. You need the live introductions to Whammer Jammer, Looking For a Love and Must of Got Lost. They are what make the songs that much better. BUY THIS CD.
on March 3, 2012
For those who aren't paying attention, the physical CD gives you five Atlantic hits in addition to the EMI stuff.

This isn't the first time I've seen that you get less on an MP3 download on Amazon, and since these days people tend not to sweat the details, then moan when they realize the rip-off, I wanted a warning to appear in print, since Amazon merely reprints the CD reviews on the download page.

Or purchase the download if you don't care about the earlier material. I'm just trying to point out the differences in
what you'll be purchasing.
on July 9, 2013
I can remember when J Geils was a household name, especially when MTV first hit the TV and J Geils Centerfold was on every ten minutes, just one of the songs included by this great Boston MA band, But leaving out the totally pop of Freeze Frame ( great song) also included, but Love Stinks, a rare live version of Must have got lost, Come back and One last kiss, brings me back to my Rock and roll Roots, J Geils band Greatest is a must have for all Rock music lovers, and it's just to bad that the Band broke up, Actually since the Boston Marathon Bombing, They did got back together for one night at the TD Bank North Garden for the Boston Strong Benefit concert, I attended and J Geils was one band I was happy to see be back at home (Boston) supporting such a good cause, Peter Wolf is at his finest on the CD and their are rarities also included live versions, Please make a good selection and get this CD
on August 28, 2006
If you are over 35 years old you will remember about 75% of the songs on this compilation. I purchased this CD because my two boys have heard "Centerfold" on the radio and love to sing along. They don't understand the lyrics (not yet anyway,..too early for that conversation) but you have to admit the refrain is infectious. This is a must have CD for "road trips" and/ or decade theme parties (70's and 80's). Not a 5 star from me due to sound quality of live selections.
Who hasn't heard "Centerfold," "Freeze-Frame" or "Love Stinks?" Everybody's heard them and I dare say that everybody loves them. Well, this album includes those great songs, and quite a bit more. Yeah, like with all "Best Of" albums, people will always complain about songs that got left off, but in this case I think they produced a really good album.

If you like good 1970s music, indeed the best 1970s music, then get this album. You won't be disappointed!
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2009
When The J. Geils Band made the leap from Atlantic Records to Capitol/EMI, the hits started coming and the band suddenly became superstars. This best of compiles mainly from those years, and is heavy on the party hits the band had in the 80's. It nicely replaces Flashback and supplements Best of the J. Geils Band from the late 70's.

The good stuff/hits are here. The streak that started with "Love Stinks" and exploded with Freeze Frame are covered. The party classics "Centerfold" and "Flamethrower" are both here, along with many others. The old greasy bar band is represented by "Sanctuary" and "Night Time." But if you're looking for "Must Of Got Lost" or "Give It To Me," you'll have to go back to the Atlantic best of. I am also a bit disappointed that the band's one album minus Peter Wolf, You're Gettin' Even While I'm Gettin' Odd, and its terrific single, "Concealed Weapons," have seemingly been thrown into history's dust-heap.

But at 13 songs with a couple great semi-hits ("Angel In Blue" and "Come Back"), I'm OK with this album. The old-school gritty R'n'B that gave the band their start can still be had for 70's enthusiasts, but this best of still finds Wolf, J.Geils' guitar and magic Dick's harmonica a wicked blast from the past.
on April 21, 2016
I really just love listening to these older songs. They really do bring back so many memories. Memory lane as they say. Some of these songs can really bring you back to a certain times of your life. Often times I remember things that I had long forgotten, or so I thought. It is just great to listen and relax and enjoy these great songs. I grow up with so many of them. I love that I have my music on Amazon, this way I have them every where I go that I can excess my Amazon Music. I do often listen on my laptop when I am travel and staying in hotels. Nice to have some thing familiar with me. I love that I will never ever lose them or scratch them ever again. No more finding the wrong CD in the case either! That really was aggravating. Will have them forever if you are buying your music in mp3 form from Amazon
on August 9, 2016
As I went through High School I wound up having to listen to what was considered HARD ROCK back in my High School day. Well as time went on I eventually began to like some of this bands songs, although I will admit that it actually took me quite a while to get used to the Hard Rock Music put out by this band.