Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 6, 2015
This book tells you how to change your lifestyle and if followed you will lose weight. But the diet it described is very close to the diet I've had for years. No weight loss obviously. And no, I'm not one of those people who is already skinny. I'd recommend this book for people who live an unhealthy lifestyle. This book does help you gradually transition yourself to a healthy lifestyle. I would not recommend to someone who already has a healthy lifestyle but I somehow stuck being over weight. Btw the recipes in the book are disgusting.
on June 17, 2017
I eat to live and enjoy life. Great book! It's great for someone who want the know about food and a quality life. The price was good for what you received.
on December 28, 2006
If I could have ranked this book 4 1/2 stars, I would have. It contains solid information that would certainly benefit anyone and lead to slow and steady weight loss, but I would take off 1/2 a star since none of this information is groundbreaking or innovative. What I do like about this book, compared to Bob Greene's previously released Total Body Makeover book, is that this program is more doable by someone who has a life outside the gym, which is extremely important, since many Americans go on diets, but very few stay on them.

The program is divided into 3 phases. The first phase is basically designed to ease you into a program of healthier eating habits (focused more on the habits, like snacking, not eating within a few hours before bedtime, etc., rather than on limiting foods) and increased movement. Nothing extreme here - I like this aspect of this phase, as for most people, starting right up with a perfectly clean diet and an hour or more of exercise each day is too much (hence my problem with Greene's Total Body Makeover). The second phase is the real weight-loss phase with increased emphasis on "clean eating" by eliminating 6 empty or problem foods from your diet. Again, I like this approach because it makes it much more doable than cutting out all of your bad habits (I'm assuming that most of us have more than 6 - I certainly do) cold turkey. Increased activity is also an important aspect of phase 2. Finally, phase 3 is the "lifestyle" phase of the diet, which is more a lifetime fitness and eating plan than a diet. Recommended daily eating plans (including a 7-day diet diary of Oprah), and some tasty recipes (with lovely photos) are also included.

Finally, as with all of Bob Greene's books, there is direction for focusing in on your reasons for overeating, being overweight, and eating the wrong foods, i.e., the "emotional eating" aspect of weight problems. I particularly agree with Greene's assertion early in the book that in order to address your weight, you must first address your life. I know from my own experience, that when I find myself eating poorly, or eating in excess, or not exercising consistently, it is because of what is going on in my head, and not what is going on in my body.

Ultimately, I think this book is a great addition to one's health and fitness library. In my opinion, it takes the best of Bob Greene's earlier books and puts them into one, concise and doable program, which will provide weight loss and weight management that lasts and not merely a quick and temporary fix.
397 helpful votes
398 helpful votes
66 comments|Report abuse
on January 26, 2013
This book is so well written and very easy to read. The information is not to technical, but is giving the reader a chance to make a lifestyle change that anyone could manage to implement with successful results. The recipes at the end of the book are plentiful and truly amazing. It is refreshing to see someone who approaches the "diet" concept with fun and delicious recipes that will satisfy your hunger cravings and help you learn the best way to nourish your body. I recommend buying the book. I purchased the book for my Kindle and now need to get all the fabulous recipes, so will buy it as a gift and copy the recipes for my collection.
on September 22, 2009
I am on phase I of this diet and I haven't lost any weight. Phase 2 there will be more calorie restiction and weight loss. What it has done is improved my eating habits so I feel more control. No more starvation and over eating. My weight is constant and I could stay on phase 1 for the rest of my life. This diet is about making healthy long term changes.
3 helpful votes
on December 28, 2012
This booked helped me lose and maintain 80 pounds. The idea of eating 5 times a day was the key. I had always "fasted" or used "crash" diets,only to lose and regain. I know now the answer was that I was hungry! My body needs food.
I first ate whatever I wanted 5 times a day and than I started choosing healthier foods.
By God's Grace this started my journey to freedom. Wished I had read this book years ago.
3 helpful votes
on January 27, 2014
seen bob green on oprah & he was talking about how you don't initially have to go on a diet to lose weigh just eat healthier. I couldn't find his book in any of the book stores around me so I went on line & ordered it. I have been following it & have lost 25lbs & keep going. I feel fuller by eating what he suggests & don't have cravings cause I keep myself full. I also ordered his cook book with great receipes & I love both books!!
on April 26, 2011
Can't get a healthier diet book anywhere! Only complaint: for those of us who are in our 50's, the calorie recommendation is a bit too high to see results that would encourage the person to stick with it. Something closer to 1200-1300 is more realistic for a loss of 1 lb a week, rather than 1500/ day. Lots of good tips, though. I have had better results with the "Metabolic Effect" book and logging everything in livestrong.com. I have followed it for 3 months and have lost a steady 1 lb a week. I will probably use the maintenance ideas when I get to my goal weight.
on April 18, 2015
Great ideas and information. I'm eager to get started because it sounds like some eating ideas I can manage. There are recipes included in the book which surprised me and daily meal plans. The workbook sold separately is helpful that I bought to use with the planed program.
on July 15, 2013
The book was in excellent shape for a used paperback. I am happy to keep if handy, not only for inspiration but because it has great recipes as well.