Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on November 2, 2016
I had a hard cover copy of this book years ago that I lent to a family member and it was never returned to me. I am happy to get a new copy of this old classic which contains mostly short stories. Despite the length of most of the folk-tales it is still a joy to read, it covers a wide range of cultures and countries so there is something for everyone. What I find most interesting regarding the book is the different views that each folk-tale/ country holds in regards to daily struggles, happiness, dreams, and life in general. The different perspective are both appreciated and represented well in this book.
on November 4, 2016
I purchased this book for a college class. This anthology has all of the western classics (whose versions I recall from Disney movies) and so many more that I have never read before. Some tales are suitable for children and I have ready several to mine.

The tales are organized geographically; for example, Africa, Asia, the Pacific, Western Europe, etc. In the back of the book there is a list of themes like journeys and quests, ogres and trolls, and so on.
on June 7, 2016
This is a fantastic collection of folktales. They come from all over the world, with some familiar and others not. Most are excellent for reading out-loud, and my children enjoy listening to them.

The only complaint I have is that I purchased a copy after borrowing the book from the library, and while both the library copy and the one sent from Amazon are paperbacks, the copy I received is printed on very cheap paper, bordering on newsprint. I'm doubtful the pages can hold up to many years of reading.
on April 18, 2017
I really like this book. I homeschool and this was on our read list. Ive only read a few stories so far, but its nice to finally read the original stories of some of the best loved fairy tales like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. This book is a great addition to our personal home library.
on March 14, 2016
We have read a few of these stories and they are all well written. This is such a fantastic collection and I like how the stories are grouped by region. Definitely a good addition to a child's collection of literature!
on December 16, 2015
I really enjoyed reading this books. Although some can be a bit slow, I like the twists that you normally don't get.
on April 27, 2017
Great collection. Lots of stories that I've never even heard of before.
on July 11, 2005
This rich, nearly 850-page long volume contains two hundred carefully selected folk and fairy tales from all over the world that include adventure, mystery, romance, humor, drama, fantasy and horror. You will find this book difficult to put down whether you decide to enjoy it on your own, or read from it to your children in family gatherings or at bedtime.
Organized by geographic region, from Europe to the Middle East to Asia, Africa and America, this wide-ranging collection includes some well-known stories like "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "Beauty and the Beast," and not so known, but equally charming ones like ""The Forest Bride" and "The Fire on the Mountain," all of which will evoke feelings of awe and wonder at the vast wealth of traditions and mythologies of our world's cultures.
Moreover, the wonderful introduction to this volume explains the considerations that went into selecting the tales, commenting on the origins, evolution, lore, compilation and study of the world's folktales, analyzing their motifs, and even presenting interesting comparisons between them.
As a bonus, this book includes a category index to help you choose the tales according to their topic, including tales of Wise Men and Judges, tales of Giants, Ogres and Male Monsters, and tales of Ghosts and the Supernatural, among others. A thorough index by title is also available.
Overall, this is the best collection of fairy tales and folktales available in a single volume.
Get it today, and enjoy it for years to come.
--Reviewed by M. E. Volmar
on December 21, 2015
so many great tales
on November 17, 2013
This is one of my favorite folk tale books out there. It's a HUGE collection of stories from all over the world, all sorts of different cultures represented here (I will say, though, that a large number of the stories are from Europe, so the different regions/cultures aren't exactly equally represented). But still, I quite often find myself picking this up and reading a story or two.