Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on December 1, 2011
These stories run the gambit from the macabre one-eyed black cat of Poe, to the fun "youth jazz-nourished generation" of F. Scott Fitzgerald in "Bernice Bobs her Hair". If there is a common thread of these stories, it is the good writing, and perhaps the inner vital life. Chekhov in "The Lady with the Toy Dog" " judging others by himself, he did not believe the things he saw, and assumed that everybody else also had his real vital life passing under a veil of mystery as under the cover of the night". Think of the striking contrast of Paul in Willa Cather's story and Mabel in D. H. Lawrence "The Horse Dealer's Daughter" .. who both had similar intents, but with very different outcomes. Guy de Maupassant "The Necklace" may remind some of O. H. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" .... ", and readers of these stories may also enjoy a collection of O. Henry stories.
on July 1, 2014
I purchased this book as a gift for my elderly uncle and while he loves the big print, he is weighed down by the stories. A 90-year old needs more uplifting choices in large-print reading.
on March 24, 2017
This is a collection of stories - so above questions are varied and unable to be answered the way they are asked.
on January 4, 2014
I originally bought this book for my father and accidentally purchased two copies. I'm glad I did, because now I have one of them and am catching up on my short-story reading. I write short stories myself and so it is really great to learn from past masters.

Many thanks!
on May 4, 2017
Great large print book
on December 31, 2016
Got it for grandma. .she's 104 and seems to like the stores. Of course she may just be saying that but I think she likes the short stories better now then long books.
on May 26, 2014
I bought this large print edition for my elderly mother because she likes to read classic literature and not what she calls "trash"! It's perfect.
on March 22, 2013
Bought this and a book of poems as a gift for my mother, who has some problems with eyesight and needs larger print. Hard to find anything other than religious books (she likes those too, but a gal's gotta have some variety to spice her literary life up, darn it) with large print. I gave her a Kindle that she can enlarge the font on last Christmas, but she still likes the option of a paperback as well. She loves them!
on March 4, 2017
good classic stories
on May 13, 2011
This large print book was a gift for my 97 year old mother. She loves short stories and could easily read the large print. She was thrilled.