Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Best Of Buddy Miles
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$7.99

on March 15, 2001
If they do, they will see that there is a cry out for more of Buddy Miles work to be released. This album is O.K., but more than anything else, it proves the old adage: "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king". This has some of Buddy Miles' fine work. But, it simply whets the appetite for more. I'll bet that close to half the reviews of this album reference the fact that we would like more of his catalogue on disc.
The good news: The recording is great. Hearing the opening of "Them Changes" is like hearing from an old friend who has come back from school. Also, the songs are the full length versions we remember from back in the day. It is great to hear them, as is "We Got to Live Together".
The only bad news is what is missing. I would pay real money to get a copy of the Them Changes album on CD. While I did like the live version of "Down By the River", there is NOTHING like the studio version from that album. Also missed is "Hearts Delight".
Until that CD comes out, this will have to do.
on May 24, 1999
Maybe 25 years ago, I picked up the 2-record set, Buddy Miles Live, and really thrived on it. I went to a record store a couple of years ago to ask on Miles' music availibility. The clerk looked on a microfiche and found that, "There's a Christmas album by him." I somehow couldn't imagine Buddy Miles' band doing "Silent Night." I think that most people think of Buddy Miles as the guy who played on a Hendrix album or two. That he did. But his top-40 realm was limited. So his exposure too was limited. That's too bad. Miles' music is a mix of soul and jazz--if I can call it that. There's some great drum work (Miles is, after all, the drummer) and other great instrumental work. It's got a driving spirit rivaling that of other soul stars, like Otis Redding, with less focus on any one person and more on the whole band.
This album is stellar. The only reason I hesitate to give it 5 (or 6!) stars is that I can't find much of the rest of his music on CD. I'll tell you what: if someone releases, say, Buddy Miles Live on CD, I'll up this superb disk to 5 stars!!
Listen to it, and enjoy it. And thanks to Amazon.com for having it available!
on June 12, 2000
Okay, I'm a die-hard Buddy Miles fan and I'm well familiar with his work. With the exception of the song, "TAKE IT OFF HIM, PUT IT ON ME", from the WE GOT TO LIVE TOGETHER album not being included, THE GREATEST HITS CD is a great collection of the stuff he did under the Mercury label. All the cuts are in their original full-length.
Still (and this is the reason why I only gave it four stars), it would've been a hundred times better if it was a whole anthology. Great memorable jams from not only Mercury Records but also the stuff he did on Casablanca, the SNEAK ATTACK album on Atlantic; the recent albums (HELL AND BACK, MILES AWAY FROM HOME & TRIBUTE TO JIMI HENDRIX) and, most of all, the three back to back classic albums he did on the Columbia label. All the cuts being in full length just like they were on the GREATEST HITS CD.
It doesn't matter how many CD's it would take . . . 3,4;5, whatever, if you're a fan (like I am) you'll buy it.
Plus, not only have the full live version of "DOWN BY THE RIVER" but the studio one as well.
Now, putting all that together, that would've been great . . . an entire full-length ANTHOLOGY collection!
I hope, some how, this gets back to him. Or if he or the record-companies are not interested, at lease; for a limited time, re-issue the old albums (especially the ones on Columbia) in CD format.
Charles
on November 2, 2001
Here is a solid collection from an artist who has contributed mightily to the rock and soul scene - too bad he seems to be considered as only "the guy who did 'Them Changes', then was with Hendrix for a while, then did the 'California Raisins' thing..."
It's interesting that Buddy is perhaps a more impressive singer than instrumentalist, and this thought does point to two missing ballads which would have brought this review to a *five*, namely, "I Still Love You, Anyway" from the "Them Changes" album, and "Last Words Of Love", from "More Miles Per Gallon". I recall the latter tune as performed on the "In Concert" TV show, circa. '76. He sang it stage front and devastated the audience.
on September 4, 2003
Some of the cuts on this CD are all-time classics, innovative, catchy and demonstrative of real writing and playing talent. Others are likely to be appealing to Buddy Miles fans more than others. And still others suggest that this "best of" compilation, like too many others, doesn't fully skim the cream. If you want to own 1 sampler of Buddy Miles's work, this CD may be as good as any. Otherwise, dig further into his archives.
on October 4, 1999
I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING BUDDY MILES SINCE I WAS A YOUTH IN PHILLY. I'M NOW 39YRS.OLD,AND TO SEE THIS LENGEND PERFORM IS A TREAT. THE BEST OF BUDDY MILES IS ONE HELL OF A CD,ESPECIALLY DOWN BY THE RIVER LIVE,MY FAVORITE.TO BUDDY,PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BROTHER.
on February 10, 2003
Buddy Miles is truly one the unsung heros of my generation. Whether he's playing by himself or featured with Santana, Malo or Hendrix, he is one of the greatest drummers in the business. I have been blessed to actually attend one of his shows and his band was tight! He sounded exactly like his recordings. I have loved him always. I miss his music so much. No one can do "Down By The River" the way he did. He had a technique unmatched by no one in the business. I have fond memories of myself, doing the funky chicken and the penguine on the dance floor. I strongly suggest that you purchase this album and try to sit down and listen to it all. I bet you will be out of your seat before he's done! I danced many miles when Buddy was on the stereo.
on May 26, 1999
great compilation from a soulful, dynamic, master of the stage. yeah, we all know that he played with jimi hendrix in the b.o.g., but he is such a great artist in his own respects. who can get more soulful than his vocal on "down by the river", and his great interpretations of such allman bros. classics as "dreams", and "midnight rider" not to mention his own classics as "them changes", "texas", and "joe tex". to my knowledge, the original buddy miles express albums are not available on cd. this is a great overview of those albums. check it out!
on July 23, 2001
One of my favorite albums of all time and probably one of the best live R&B alums ever is the "Buddy Miles Live" released originally as a two vinyl set. I literally wore the album out many years ago. I think others did too because later I was trying to find a copy to tape and every copy I found was in bad shape. It is really incredible to me that this album has never been released on CD. That horn section blew me away. I am thankful at least for the songs they put on this compilation. Sounds like there is hope.
on September 24, 1998
Nothing as good as Them Changes album from the 70's. Please re-release that album