Top critical review
898 people found this helpful
on August 24, 2012
We actually have liked this product and used it for more than two years. However, recently when changing the tip I noticed black particles coming out of the hand-held wand bulb. I then hit this plastic section against the sink and dislodged a considerable amount of additional black material. I felt it was then important to break open this plastic bulb section - the part you hold in your hand - and found it full of black colored mold! In my opinion this is a serious design flaw. Since this section is not sealed, it should be possible to clean it. Yet, in the Waterpik manual, you will find no instructions on how to do this, or that it is even necessary. I have read one third-party article that recommends periodic soaking of this plastic bulb in vinegar. However, there is no a way to assure that it is clean, without breaking it. It does appear that any mold in the plastic case of the hand unit may not contaminate the water spray into the mouth, however, the proximity of mold growth so close to mouth is, in my opinion, unacceptable.
I called Waterpik to advise them of my concern, noting that, while we don't seem to be allergic to mold, many people are and this section of their device should 1) be re-manufactured to allow opening and cleaning and 2) cleaning procedures should be published in their manual. Obviously, we have discontinued using the Water Pik. To their credit, the company has responded by email and is, apparently, now looking into this matter. They have offered a replacement unit and we have declined.