Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(Verified Purchases). See both reviews
on February 16, 2016
I didn't find this book to be helpful for my high school senior. Based on the title and description on the book's cover, I was hoping to find merit-based scholarship leads for an student who is truly an outstanding scholarship candidate, but who is not considered to be an under-represented minority or to be in financial need. Other scholarship sources flooded us with scholarships that didn't really apply or were ultimately based largely on URM status or financial need. We found no new information in this book. The very basic information that WAS there could be contained in a 2-page pamphlet (like a listing for National Merit). This book is more about BECOMING a good scholarship candidate, with such helpful hints as "keep your GPA as high as possible," "develop your leadership skills," and "visit an office dedicated to helping students win major fellowships." There is some advice about writing a personal statement, interviewing, and resumes, but I was specifically looking for the "wide-ranging selection of top scholarships..." that was promised on the cover.

There is also some grant/fellowship listed that would apply to those seeking graduate degrees, which I haven't really read, so maybe that would be helpful to some people.

If you have several years to develop yourself or your student into a candidate, you might find some good advice in here, but I would guess you might already know that leadership skills and community service are good qualities to list on a scholarship application. I think the title and descriptions on the book's cover are extremely misleading, as was the recommendation to get this book, which came from a different scholarship book by Peterson's Publishing (so maybe I should have known better). I give this a low rating for the misleading title and cover, with a second star for the sections on interviewing and resumes.
on February 11, 2011
I purchased this book several months ago and am so glad I did! I needed more information about competitive scholarships and fellowships and found this book to be exactly what I needed. It is full of detailed but brief reviews for over 100 hundred opportunities. Also, it has advice and information that makes the process of applying much easier to understand. After reading through, I decided to purchase a copy for every student that I advise on a weekly basis. This will be my go-to guide for helping my students attain top awards and, for some, make their educational dreams come true. Finally, I loved that this book is integrated with Facebook where my students spend most of their time! I can link to many of the resources directly from there and it makes the process even easier.