- Composer: Scott Joplin, Joseph Lamb
- Audio CD (February 10, 2004)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Label: Golden Classics
- ASIN: B00013NDJG
- Average Customer Review: 9 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #179,393 in CDs & Vinyl (See Top 100 in CDs & Vinyl)
Have one to sell?
Best of Scott Joplin
See all 2 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Page 1 of 1 Start overPage 1 of 1
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
1. The Entertainer, for piano
2. Maple Leaf Rag, for piano
3. Swipesy, cake walk for piano (collaboration with Arthur Marshall)
4. Sunflower Slow Drag, ragtime two-step for piano (collaboration with Sco
5. The Easy Winners, for piano
6. The Ragtime Dance, stoptime two-step for piano
7. The Cascades, rag for piano
8. Bethena, waltz for piano
9. Gladiolus Rag, for piano
10. Heliotrope Bouquet, rag for piano (collaboration with Louis Chauvin)
11. Fig Leaf Rag, for piano
12. Pine Apple Rag, for piano
13. Solace: A Mexican Serenade, for piano
14. Euphonic Sounds, syncopated two-step for piano
15. Stoptime Rag, for piano
16. Scott Joplin's New Rag, for piano
1. A Breeze from Alabama, march & ragtime two-step for piano
2. Binks' Waltz, for piano
3. Original Rags, for piano (collaboration with Charles Daniels)
4. The Great Crush Collision March, for piano
5. The Strenuous Life, rag for piano
6. Paragon Rag, for piano
7. Eugenia, for piano
8. Sensation for piano
9. Nonpareil, rag & two-step for piano
10. Wall Street Rag, for piano
11. Antoinette, march & two-step for piano
12. Combination March, for piano
13. Felicity Rag, ragtime two-step for piano (collaboration with Scott Hayd
14. Palm Leaf, slow drag for piano
15. Sugar Cane, ragtime two-step for piano
16. Search-Light Rag, syncopated march & two-step for piano
17. The Favorite, ragtime two-step for piano
Top customer reviews
... recently purchased this CD and although the music is great, the recording sounds a little too pristine for ...
on November 4, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I recently purchased this CD and although the music is great, the recording sounds a little too pristine for that time period to make me think that Scott Joplin is actually performing as implied. However, if you're a admirer of ragtime, this collection is remarkable.
on September 29, 2015
Format: Audio CD
If you like your Joplin rags played in a bouncy, saloon style, this is the recording for you. Keep in mind that Joplin wrote that his music must never be played fast! These aren't played too fast, fortunately. A more leisurely and loving recording is the classic 1970-1974 "Scott Joplin Piano Rags" (in 3 volumes) played by Joplin expert Joshua Rifkin. Rifkin is the man who single-handedly introduced Joplin to the public, and started the Joplin mania elevating Maple Leaf Rag, The Entertainer, and others to pop culture favorites. Everyone knows those rags! In my copy of the present 2-disc set, the pianist is nameless, which is a shame, but apparently newer pressings have corrected that. The piano used in this recording sounds like a honky-tonk piano, and the miking is very close. Very entertaining in reasonable doses!
on November 19, 2015
Format: Audio CD
I am not someone who is particular with sound or recording quality. But the quality of this is terrible. It sounds like a tape recorder was placed directly in front of the piano! It actually hurts my ears. I tried adjusting the settings on my player, hoping it would help. It helped just a little, but still not enjoyable to listen to. I do not recommend this set!!
on June 17, 2014
Format: Audio CD
Joplin's music is as fresh in 2014 as it was in 1914, as evidenced by the fact that it's still available (how many other 100+ year old recording artists can say that?). It would be interesting to find out who the performer is (or who the performers are, as the case may be). Another reviewer mentioned the technical aspects of this recording, but I enjoy it just the way it is. It's damned near impossible to listen to Joplin without tapping your toe!
Look for similar items by category
Pages with related products. See and discover other items: terminator model