Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on December 9, 2008
I've enjoyed using this cookbook since I got it a couple months ago. This cookbook is compiled from Cooks Illustrated magazine. If you are interested in why things are cooked a certain way, the cookbooks from Cooks Illustrated should be investigated. They include lots of background information about the ingredients and the cooking process to help you understand why certain approaches work. This can help an interested cook understand the science behind cooking. If you don't care about why things work, this cookbook also has lots of good recipes that can be constructed similar to many other cookbooks.

The focus of this cookbook is slow-cooking. Many of the recipes are described using a crock-pot but anyone with a oven that can control its temperature in the 185 to 210 degree range can make these recipes in their oven. I've recently had started experimenting with low-temperature cooking and have been amazed how tender many cuts can become if they are not abused at high temperature. This cookbook gave me a whole new set of recipes with which I could experiment.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2013
I love the way that Cook's Illustrated presents their material. The book is very text-book like, but in a good way; only a few photos at the center. I love how they provide rationale for choices in technique, ingredient selection and methodology.

First recipe was for braised Swiss Steak with Mushrooms and Onions - to die for!!! Simple ingredients, absolutely wonderful. I could not find the recommended "Blade Steak" so after discussing like products with the butcher, I substituted a boneless chuck center cut steak, trimmed off the fat and cut into sections as determined by the sinew. Divine!
I love Cooks Illustrated Magazine and the cookbooks they put out. I purchased this cookbook primarily for the slow cooker section which is not that large. However, the other sections are superb. The recipes are primarily for slow baking in the oven and cover all kinds of beef, sauces, chicken, pork loin, ham, and lamb. I've never made a recipe from a Cooks Illustrated Cookbook that hasn't been spectacular.
on November 3, 2015
Cook's Illustrated have once again provided excellent recipes with detailed how and whys.The recipes in here are amazingly good. Better yet, the testers at Cook's Illustrated give tutorials on the how and why the recipe goes together. You learn better ways of doing things while you produce amazing food. This is one of THE best cookbooks I have purchased.
on August 4, 2017
Love this book — another Test Kitchen classic.
on December 28, 2011
I own a rather large number of cookbooks. So it was with just a bit of hesitation that I decided to purchase this one. All that I could say is that I'm certainly glad I did. I've made a number of recipes so far, and without exception they have all turned out wonderfully. This book has taken the top spot in my recipe collection. Highly recommend it.
on February 5, 2015
Excellent book- but some of the recipes are repeats from other ATK or CC cookbooks. Everything that I have made out of the cookbook has turned out excellently.
on July 27, 2014
I love anything Cooks Illustrated does. They are always more than thorough with their instructions and they explain why they choose ingredients and the preparation method. Recipes are delicious. That being said; this cook book is more like a text book, few pictures and long explanations.
on February 9, 2014
So far all the recipes we've made have been pretty good. i'm a big fan of the Cook's recipes in general....with only a few exceptions - very reliably good!!
on February 3, 2017