Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes Paperback – September 4, 2004
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Lots of good advice for cooks who have never used a slow cooker as well as some specialized advice on going meatless in the slow cooker. (Myrna Collins Appleton Post-Crescent 2005-02-02)
About the Author
Judith Finlayson is a food journalist and author. She began her career writing featured food articles, reviewing restaurants and developing recipes for magazines. This is her third cookbook.
Top customer reviews
So for those who are looking for great food that's healthier, lower in fat, more sustainable, this may not be your cookbook. Check out Robin Robertson or Kathy Hester's The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour.
There are also a lot of mouth-watering color photos which provide inspiration, but there are not photos for all the dishes. I'm not deducting a star for that, however, because full-color photos for every recipe would equal a much higher price,
The author notes when recipes are "Vegan Friendly" right at the top of the page, so they're very easy to spot. Also, there are instructions for which parts could be done in advance (when required) and stored in the fridge overnight, making morning assembly in the crock pot a cinch for those who are unable to spare a few extra minutes in the morning. This is one cookbook that I know already is going to get a lot of use!
I dislike the usual slow cooker books full of canned cream of something soups, and package of taco seasoning, barbecue sauce or the eternal fave onion soup mix which usually results in something without texture or taste and a ton of salt.
These are excellent recipes. I made the lasagna first and this is more like a provencal gratin (noodles and melted cheese with Mediterranean flavors). It is delicious but it is NOT a lasagna.
The recipes are delicious, and if you are not a purist vegetarian, you can use chicken stock in many of them. So far the vegetarian Pozole is my favorite.
Enter this book.
I love 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes because:
- The dozen recipes that I've tried have all been outstanding. A few of them I would go so far as to categorize as gourmet standard.
- There's a great introduction with extensive tips on slow cooking.
- I get to cook in the morning, when the baby gives me the most time to cook.
- Half the dinner dishes are done hours before dinner. (i.e. prep dishes, cutting boards, knives, etc.)
- The recipes that I've tried have been quite economical to prepare, since whole veggies are cheap. This is especially true now that I have a few key spices in my spice cupboard.
- I feel good about getting more veggies into my family's diet. We aren't vegetarian, but we still love these recipes. Sometimes I supplement with grilled sausages, chops, etc.
- My toddler has happily eaten 9/10 of these dishes.
- We're a family of three. Generally I get two meals out of these recipes, or they're great for feeding hungry guests.
This is _not_ the book for you if you're a dump-it-and-go slow cooker. Most recipes involve softening veggies, etc. in a separate sautee pan, which seems to really irritate some folks.
However, if like me, you like to cook, but want to control _when_ you cook, this is a fantastic book. For stay-at-home moms and dads, you'll get dinner prep out of the way in the morning and have time for your kids and spouse at night. For working folks, there are extensive sidebars explaining how to prep most recipes the night before, so you can come home to a hot meal.
FYI, some of our favorite recipes have been Poached Eggs on Spicy Lentils (substituting hardboiled rather than poached eggs); Sophisticated Mushroom Barley Soup; Savory Cheddar Cheese Soup; and Creamy Leek Soup with Stilton. Have fun!