Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 22, 2006
I am a vegetarian with two young daughters - and no time to cook. On top of that my kids are allergic to dairy and soy. I had no idea what to cook for our family and how to find the time to cook it until I found this cookbook. Every recipe I have tried so far (and there aren't that many I haven't tried) has been really good. I start the recipe the night before, stick the slow cooker insert in the refrigerator, and then pull it out and get it going in the morning. There aren't that many vegetarian slow cooker cookbooks out there, and the others I've found have been duds, but this one is a keeper!
11 comment| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2007
I've now tried about 10 of the recipes from this book and I have to say I have been very impressed. I decided to start adding more vegetarian meals into my and my partners diet. I would say over 80 percent of the meals were pretty good. I have found that it is more challenging to add a lot of flavor to vegetarian meals. The author gives quite a few good tips (for example, to toast the cumin seeds or to crush the pepercorns or how to properly poach an egg).

The author does recommend pre-cooking or rather sauteing prior to placing the ingredients in the slow cooker which does add quite a bit of additional time but so far the results have been really worth it.

I tried other vegetarian books with much more limited success, usually the recipes lacked flavor. So if you are used to cooking a lot of beef or chicken recipes with intense flavor, and now want to augment your vegetarian repertoire then I would recommend this book.
on October 12, 2008
This book I bought for a friend because I love mine soooo much. I have another "popular" veggie crock pot book and it doesn't come close to the fabulous dishes in Judith's book. EVERY recipe I've cooked has been a hit. The dishes are very flavorful and attractive. Judith is a master at mixing interesting combinations and has a flair with herbs and spices. Every new dish becomes "this is the best thing you've made so far". Many of the dishes call for precooking some veggies and spices to maximize flavors - these are so delicious, I don't mind taking a few minuets to do that. Rave review and I haven't even tried the desserts yet! A great gift for people you care about - healthy, delicious and beautiful meals!
on February 16, 2018
I have many cookbooks.....I use this one. Recipes are fantastic. Do not be put off by the review complaining of the precooking. You can skip it but it really does not take that long to saute veggies and adds flavor.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 2, 2010
I have made many of recipes in this book, and they have all been great. Unlike many vegetarian cookbooks, the ingredients used in this book are widely available and largely inexpensive. Instructions are clear and concise, and the author gives many ideas for variations if, like me, you always feel compelled to tweak your recipes a bit. There are tons of healthy options, as well as many not so healthy options if you need a cheese or sugar fix. I liked this book so much, I bought a copy for my mother. Definitely try the Just Peachy Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake on page 179!
on October 17, 2007
I love cooking, but with a husband who usually doesn't get home until 7:30 and a toddler who is most demanding of my attention right before dinnertime, getting everybody fed was a struggle.

Enter this book.

I love 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes because:
- The dozen recipes that I've tried have all been outstanding. A few of them I would go so far as to categorize as gourmet standard.
- There's a great introduction with extensive tips on slow cooking.
- I get to cook in the morning, when the baby gives me the most time to cook.
- Half the dinner dishes are done hours before dinner. (i.e. prep dishes, cutting boards, knives, etc.)
- The recipes that I've tried have been quite economical to prepare, since whole veggies are cheap. This is especially true now that I have a few key spices in my spice cupboard.
- I feel good about getting more veggies into my family's diet. We aren't vegetarian, but we still love these recipes. Sometimes I supplement with grilled sausages, chops, etc.
- My toddler has happily eaten 9/10 of these dishes.
- We're a family of three. Generally I get two meals out of these recipes, or they're great for feeding hungry guests.

This is _not_ the book for you if you're a dump-it-and-go slow cooker. Most recipes involve softening veggies, etc. in a separate sautee pan, which seems to really irritate some folks.

However, if like me, you like to cook, but want to control _when_ you cook, this is a fantastic book. For stay-at-home moms and dads, you'll get dinner prep out of the way in the morning and have time for your kids and spouse at night. For working folks, there are extensive sidebars explaining how to prep most recipes the night before, so you can come home to a hot meal.

FYI, some of our favorite recipes have been Poached Eggs on Spicy Lentils (substituting hardboiled rather than poached eggs); Sophisticated Mushroom Barley Soup; Savory Cheddar Cheese Soup; and Creamy Leek Soup with Stilton. Have fun!
11 comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2010
I checked this book out of our local library to peruse it and try some recipes before I made my purchase. At the same time, I checked out several other similar books. I love the layout of this book & that the recipes are simple and delicious.

There are also a lot of mouth-watering color photos which provide inspiration, but there are not photos for all the dishes. I'm not deducting a star for that, however, because full-color photos for every recipe would equal a much higher price,

The author notes when recipes are "Vegan Friendly" right at the top of the page, so they're very easy to spot. Also, there are instructions for which parts could be done in advance (when required) and stored in the fridge overnight, making morning assembly in the crock pot a cinch for those who are unable to spare a few extra minutes in the morning. This is one cookbook that I know already is going to get a lot of use!
on December 29, 2011
The slow-cooking book I really love is Robin Robertson's Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, which has amazing plant-based chilis, soups, jambalayas, etc. 125 best Vegetarian Slow Cooker recipes is less imaginative in its seasonings; most of the recipes rely heavily on cheese, eggs, whipped cream etc. (examples -- of the 16 appetizer recipes, only 2 are plant-based, including spiced nuts; of the 21 desserts, only 1 -- pears poached in wine). The "vegan-friendly" recipes I've tried have been fine, but nothing I felt drawn to return to.

So for those who are looking for great food that's healthier, lower in fat, more sustainable, this may not be your cookbook. Check out Robin Robertson or Kathy Hester's The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour.
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 22, 2007
This is one of the best cook books I've every had! I use it probably several times a week. The recipes are delicious, interesting, healthy. She really knows her way around a slow cooker. I have tried several other slow cooker books and the recipes come out truly disgusting. In this book, though, the food is so flavorful and tasty. I can hardly believe it. For a busy working professional, it is just the best. You can eat dinner and then at night when there is less stress, you can prepare the meal to put in the slow cooker overnight. It will be ready by morning and you can even bring some for lunch. I have been trying to limit the fat I consume and so I do the sauteing in vegetable broth instead of the small amount of fat she recommends. It is really exciting to be able to eat such tasty, wholesome, healthy food. I have served these dishes to guests who loved them. Also, I am not a very good cook but even a beginning cook can make really delicious meals with this book. It is practially fool-proof.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 3, 2016
Recipes aren't bad, but require too much time and effort due to excessive reliance on conventional cooking.