Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 1, 2014
I've read a dozen or so books on credit repair/improvement, along with hundreds of articles, stories, and blogs. So far I'm enjoying this book the best (about 75% of the way through). I've already put into place several of the author's suggestions. And just last week we increased our credit limits on several cards and we've seen increases on our credit. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone, even if you think you know everything about credit. I'm no "beginner" when it comes to credit and credit scores, but I'm still learning things. If I already understand a topic, I just quickly skim over the pages to see if I see something new. But I've read more than I've skimmed so far. Thanks for the info!
3 people found this helpful
on March 14, 2018
I've read dozens of books and probably hundreds of blogs on topic. This is the one book I keep going back to over and over. I've found it to be a step by step guide that's addressed almost every relevant issue that's come up. Fixing your own credit isn't brain surgery but neither is it completely intuitive. After carefully digesting this material, I found myself confident at every step so far in this process.
on April 7, 2009
I bought this book because my credit score was too low to get a home financing. After 1 month following the tips from this book I could see my credit score jumping from 600 to 700, which qualified me to finance my first house. The book is clearly targeted to people with lots of debt and really bad credit score, I believe the information for this kind of people is useful as well, even though this was not my case. For me, chapter 3 was my "bible" to understand how credit bureaus work and how to increase my score, also debuking myths like "to have a good credit score use only 50% of your available credit card credit line", which is simply not true. In fact, as you will learn in this book, you need to pay your credit card in full BEFORE the credit card company reports the balance amount to the credit agencies, which is usually one day after the credit card company closes your credit card statement, so the credit card company will always report zero balance to the credit agencies. If you don't do this the credit card companies will always report a balance, even if you pay your card in full at due date. This and several other important information I learned by reading this book. A must-have if you are serious about improving your credit score.
6 people found this helpful
on May 22, 2010
This book should be the core book of your library on both (1) credit repair/restoration, and (2) debt elimination/reduction. Both are vital. Author Dana Neal has coined the term "Debt Fusion" to mean doing both at the same time. I can say from personal experience that it works, period! In July of 2009 I began using the remedies in this book to repair my own credit. At that time I had over $6,000 in credit card debt (3 different cards), another $1,500 in just plain outright bills, a truck I was upside down own, no job, no money and my unnemployment was running out. My FICO credit score was 591, and my credit reports were riddled with negative accounts, collection accounts and serious delinquiences. I purchased this book, along with Liz Pulliam Weston's book "Your Credit Score - Second Edition" and Shaun Aghili's book "The No-Nonsense Credit Manual." I began to not only read each of them, I devoured them! I studied them. I wrote notes in the margins. I bent down the corners of pages I wanted to come back to. I stuck post-it notes on important pages that I knew would help me and tabbed them, I hi-lighted relevant lines and paragraphs. When I was done with the first round, I re-read them! As I continue my own Debt Fusion actions, I constantly am going back and referring to these books. Best Credit, of the three I used, is the "Bible" and the core of my Debt Fusion library. It gave me the hope - the tools - and the confidence that I could actually do this: to take control of my financial life and begin my credit repair and debt elimination fight. You need energy, motivation and passion to begin such a frustrating, time consuming and often tedious process, but you also need the tools: the information, techniques that work and inside information that this book provides. I learned from these books, especially Best Credit, how to read and understand all that minutia in the credit reports that seemed like Greek. He shows you a step by step process of how to break down the information and accounts in the reports, and then how to prioritize it, and then how to tackle it. Today, in May 2010, I have no credit card debt, all my bills are paid, and after ten months of taking control of my credit reports - learning to understand what was in them and then taking action - my FICO score is 722. No joke. Next month I expect it to reach 731 when my credit card furnisher reports a $0 balance on my last card that I just paid off - which improves my "credit utilization" - the amount of actual debt (debt balance) in relation to the amount of credit available (debt to limit ratio). This is one of the main factors in your score as Neal explains, along with other important factors of how your score is determined. This book is comprehensive, and covers over 400 pages of credit information. You can skip sections that don't apply to you. He also gives practical real life stories and examples all through the book, that help explain and illustrate what he's talking about. I recommend all three books, but if you can only afford one - start with this one. Don't even hesitate. If you have the determination, and will stick with it and give it time, then this book and the others will definitely help you repair and improve your credit!
9 people found this helpful
on June 22, 2011
First off, the book is written in a matter that any person would be able to understand it. The author does not bombard you with legal jargon while trying to sound more educated in the field. He gives very clear and concise explanations to the reader and then will show the legal statute and then goes on to explain what the statute means. He shows examples of what he did on his own, which actually worked. There is SEVERAL template forms that can be used in the book. I went on and took his advice and have started his program pertaining to going after the bureaus and ordered another book pertaining to filing law suits. He mentions many times in the book- do not skip to the back, you will miss something important- he is right! I have learned so much from the book and had I skipped to the back I would have missed a ton of valuable information. I am not much of a "reader" of books, however, I read this book in four days.
3 people found this helpful
on March 26, 2013
This book has great advise. Really read it, as they suggest, from the beginning.
And follow the advise.

Great information for how to get rid of the collectors and deal with the person who you actually owe money to.
Great information on how to fight the credit bureaus and bad collectors, both of whom put inaccurate information on your credit report and don't care it is wrong. The collectors use this as a ploy to get you to pay them something, even when legally you don't owe it. The credit bureaus as they are really working for the other companies and not you (the other companies pay them big bucks to report credit and look at your credit, you are a small drop in the bucket compared, so they of course work for who pays them the money). This book gives you the wording to use to get these companies to straighten up and sail right and the actions to follow through.
One person found this helpful
on July 3, 2010
I work for a credit union, and part of my job is to create financial education materials for our members. Lately I've been researching the hottest current topic: credit repair. I've read so many book on the subject, and spent hours and hours on the Web, and the #1 thing I've learned is that the info that's available is mostly NOT accurate, NOT current, and NOT helpful.

But Dana Neal's book IS tremendously helpful, if not totally accurate. That is NOT his fault, though -- books by their very nature are obsolete as soon as ink hits paper, right? Even though the second edition is relatively new, it's still four years old -- and during the past four years you have to admit there's been a huge upheaval in our economy. (I've been bugging Dana by email to come up with a 3rd ed, but he's busy on other projects.) So, you have to take that four-year-old info into consideration. (But, if you check his Web site, he does have FREE info you can download that's newer, called White Hat Credit -- [...])

I KNOW, just from working for a credit union, that the stunning number of regulatory/government-mandated changes that have hit the financial industry since Obama's inauguration has been massive; we scramble to just keep up with all the new rules and regs. If you read the news, you know the reality: 7.9 million jobs lost and maybe never to return -- that's 7.9 million families impacted by job loss. (Do the math, folks.)

If you were swept out in that job-loss net in the past few years, I feel for you. When your credit gets smoked, it's awful. I have a family member in that boat -- and the ONLY advice I could give her was in the copy of Dana's book I got her. Follow what Dana Neal says in his book, and you've got a better chance of coming out OK in the long run; but it's still gonna hurt in the short run.

Best Credit talks about ways to negotiate with those you owe. Dana cautions against just "skipping to the 'how do I do it?'" part of the book, which is great advice. Up-front, he paints a vivid picture of what you MUST know in order to be successful -- and I have not found that perspective in any other book.

It is definitely worth the money, and more importantly, it's worth your TIME to read it, learn it, and use it.

(Last thing -- BANKRUPTCY IS NOT THE BEST OPTION. NEVER. IT WILL HAUNT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE; DON'T DO IT. Lawyers who tell you it's the best path are LYING to you. Because lenders will ALWAYS view it negatively, always. Better to take your lumps and try to negotiate a settlement than to get the "clean slate" of BK, because it is NOT TRUE.)
8 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2018
Most of the stuff written was pretty basic. The letter request for deletion/full payment was good. But honestly, most of the information is no different from any other credit repair book out there. Inquiries are very hard to get rid of. All the CRA's just refer you back to the creditors, who could care less!
on March 18, 2014
After running into some credit problems I decided to read this book and see what it had to offer. Great information about how the whole credit system works. Packed filled with examples and how-to's, this book is a must even if you do not have credit issues. Do not let negative credit items ruin your interest rates and chances at great loans. A must read!
One person found this helpful
on October 28, 2010
There is a saying that those that can't do,TEACH and those that can't teach,DO. Although I don't agree completely with the saying, very rarely does someone come along and combine both their real world knowledge and experience and willingly share it with others in a complete A-Z reference guide. As a law school graduate I learned to look for resources that can catch me up to speed with the terminology and basics in any particular field and then progress into the legal mumbo-jumbo necessary to carry out the plan in court if necessary. This book is perfect as it gives you the inside scoop on the industry and how the "insider" thinks which is absolutely crucial in developing a workable plan. Then it gives the reader all of the necessary tools to develop a plan that will yield positive results every time. All of the necessary ingredients for a successful outcome are included. Don't waste money on other books that only target one or two components of a very difficult process. Take it from someone who spent an average of $250 per book in law school. It ranks up there on the best $$ I've ever spent on a book! Thanks Dana!

Rick