Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on December 22, 2016
I decided to wait a bit before writing a review on this product since I wanted to see how well it did on my drive from California to Kentucky. I was a bit worried about how well it would hold up at sustained highway speeds. I primarily bought this to provide a cover for my dogs and luggage on road trips.

Pros:
Works as advertised. The camper shell holds up well cuts the wind and weather off of the contents of the bed. Installation was 90% simple with the only real issue coming from installing the windows which I will list as a con. Very reasonably priced for a camper shell.

Cons:
The Windows have a plastic channel system combined with a zipper for installation. The plastic channel just does not work well in the windows. If this was a full zip in and zip out window I would have rated 5 stars. The bulb seal on the back window does not touch the tailgate and leaves a pretty sizable gap. Some people may see more of an issue with this than I do because it could let water in pretty easily if you are sitting in a large rain storm.

Tips:
Find a buddy to help with installation. One person could do it but two really makes a difference. Don't install in cold weather. I installed this in my garage and it was mid fifties outside. I had to get creative with ratchet straps to help stretch the material. The instructions say 72 degrees is the minimum recommended temperature and I would advise the warmer the better.
on July 26, 2017
I don't typically write reviews, but I figured I could probably save some people some serious headache and frustration on this one. I give this product 4 stars instead of 5 only because the instructions where lacking information and the company tech department was very helpful.

I installed this on a 2017 tacoma access cab long bed. My bed may be a little different because the truck originally came with the Tri-fold tonneau cover, which I had to add some plates to the where the tonneau cover was mounted since the bed caps had a notch in them and where compressing too much when clamping this thing down. Also not sure if the top rail in front of the cab is the same as it would be without the cover, but...

First off, you want to make sure this is mounted flush with the front of your bed near the cab. I would recommend lightly clamping it down until you get it all buttoned together, then adjust where you permanently mount it once you get your tailgate alight right with the rear window bottom seal. Tailgate should close with ease.

Secondly, you want to start with the rear window, which was fairly easy and the instructions tell you the same. They don't really specify how the rear bottom cross bar goes in, but I have it so that the seal is pointing downward and you have to rotate it into place to clip into the side mounts.

The side windows where the huge headache to get in initially. I had broken one of the zippers first attempt, but got Amazon to send me an entire new top. Second attempt, I used silicon spray to lubricate the top channel. I used a can with a straw sprayer and only got it in to the top channel of the window. I imagine this could get messy if not carefull, and also think that dish soap would even work. You need slide the top channel for the window all the way through from the back. The channel on the actual cover(not window) is segmented, so once you get through the first segment, I had better luck bringing the window past the next segment by a 1/2" or so, and clipping it in, then sliding the rest of the way until the next segment and so on.

After the window was in place, I aligned it to zip up in the front near the cab. After it was zipped, I went to the back and pulled it as far back as I possibly could to get it as close to the rear zipper as possible. once I got it close, I un-secured the rear corner of that side and zipped to be able to zip up the rear zipper.

Lastly, there are 2 elastic hoops they tell you to install on the rear top cross-member. Didn't think much about it when installing them, but you want to install them on the top left and right corners. This allows you to roll up the rear window and loop the elastic round to hold in place. This is necessary it is hot out and I am taking my dog somewhere in the bed.

All and all, now that I figured on the kinks, I am very happy with this topper. I think it would be easier to un-bolt in for removal, rather than pull the window out to make it convertible. I did however notice that the side windows came out very easily once I had the original top on for about a week. I think it stretches a bit after being installed, just haven't tried to pull out the windows and put back in since replacement.
review image review image review image review image
on March 1, 2017
2004 Tacoma Buyer beware!! It says product fitment for 2004-2016, even though it is the correct canopy size and size for the bed rails. The rail clamps won't work for 2004 model, rear window rail, rear rail elbow brackets aren't correct fitment for 2004 tacoma either...5 star product! Just make sure you order the 1995.5-2004 model canopy save the head ache on re-ordering the correct parts amazon.
on February 14, 2016
The Velcro adhesive, where the cab meets the bed, doesn't stick and comes loose in the wind. Flaps unbelievably loudly. Tore a huge hole in the plastic from flapping. Gorilla glue held it down for awhile but that came loose too. Difficult to put on in the cold. Frustrating.
on March 4, 2014
Abstract: it was great until it blew off due to a defect (or poor design?). If you buy one, keep the box around for a while.

More details:
I was hoping to use this topper until I could find and buy a hardtopper that I wanted to use for the longer term. During my research I read a few threads about people experiencing the topper blowing off of their trucks. I presumed it was rare and unlikely. However, when I installed the topper, I kept the possibility in mind and made sure the installation was bombproof. Everything went great for the first month and then I went on my first road trip. On the way home, there was a good crosswind, a semi passed me going the opposite direction and the whole topper went airborne. My biggest concern was the dogs in the back, fortunately they were unharmed, but it could have been bad. I dealt with it, moved the dogs to the cab and made it home. I presumed that since Bestop is a fairly local company to me that they would take care of me. When I called the lady said she had never heard that issue and that Amazon would have to deal with it (not cool-- it could have been handled better). The incident occurred the day after it was eligible for return. I called Amazon and they were immediately helpful. I had to pay return shipping (which was significant) but they refunded that as well without problem.

The primary defect seemed to be the bolt in the clamp they sent as it bent and loosened the grip on the frame, which bent, allowing the whole thing to get loose enough to sail away. I don't know if this incident was avoidable, my only advice would be to check the tightness of the screws before every drive (though mine were tight). Other than that, be prepared for plan B. I will attach pics of the bent screw and torqued frame rail if possible.
review image review image
44 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2014
Sub-par materials for the price. Also I order a new one and got used parts (parts of the frame showed signs of being used (and it was not from shipping)). If I am paying over $600.00 for this the parts should not be so easily broken that two of the clamps broke before I could even finish the install. I am a certified collision repair tech. also an aircraft mechanic. So I can confidently say that I did not over torque them. The company or distributer should be ashamed of themselves.
on February 14, 2015
Overall the top worked great. Installation was a bit complicated. The kit came with four clamps, but they didn't fit properly with my bed rails. I ended up buying six "C" clamps instead and it work great.
on August 28, 2017
Amazing! defiantly recommend it.
on August 1, 2015
Looks great on the truck
on January 6, 2015
Fits well installs easy !