Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 7.0 [OLD VERSION]
- Expert design tips from the editors of Better Homes and Gardens magazines
- Create a virtual look and feel of the design with actual colors, wallpaper, flooring, furniture, windows and window treatments
- Easily design kitchens and baths with plans and 3D layouts
- Choose from a library of over 6,000 items for your designs
- Automatically validates the design against standard building principles
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 7.0 is software developed by Chief Architect for home enthusiast remodeling and home design projects. This software helps you design the home of your dreams with 3D models, virtual tours, even more library items, easy to use building templates, a new Plant Encyclopedia and landscaping features with over 1,000 plant terrain and outdoor items. Combining the leading-edge home design software with the consumer design editorial expertise of Better Homes and Gardens, we have produced the best software tool for home and remodeling design.
Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 7.0 is software developed by Chief Architect for home enthusiast remodeling and home design projects. This software helps you design the home of your dreams with 3D models, virtual tours, even more library items, easy to use building templates, a new Plant Encyclopedia and landscaping features with over 1,000 plant terrain and outdoor items. Combining the leading-edge home design software with the consumer design editorial expertise of Better Homes and Gardens, Home Designer Suite 7.0 is the best software tool you will find anywhere for home and remodeling design.
No matter your level of design expertise, Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 7.0 will get you moving toward a stunning visualized design of your dream home. The Getting Started Tutorial will guide you through basic design projects. Watch more than 30 videos for step-by-step instructions. Select from over 1,500 sample home plans or use the House Wizard to design your house. You can create your dream home today with the look and feel before it is built with styles, colors, wallpaper, flooring, and materials. Plus, you can quickly place and arrange walls, windows, doors, cabinets, and architectural objects from a library of over 4,300 items to create a 3D Model in minutes. Use the Library content to size your rooms, evaluate traffic flow, and create a visual model of your design.
|Create your Dream Home |
Design your dream home today with Home Designer. Quickly place and arrange walls, windows, doors, cabinets, choose colors, place furniture, create decks and landscaping. Design and visualize your home with 3D Models and Virtual Tours.
|Choose from Design Templates |
With Home Designer, you can quickly place and arrange walls, windows, doors, cabinets, choose colors, place furniture, create decks and landscaping.
|Powerful Home Design Software |
Enjoy the same building and design tools the professionals use--Home Designer is made for the home enthusiasts. Powerful building tools like automatic roof generation, stairs, decks, framing, CAD, dimensioning, realistic 3D models, and Plan Check makes it easy for anyone to use.
|Create Floor Plans |
Select from over 1,500 sample home plans or use the House Wizard to design your house.
|Design Tools |
With the program's Planning Center, you can use Material Painter to create a virtual look and feel of the design before it is built. You can test your design with actual colors, wallpaper, flooring, furniture, windows, and even window treatments.
|Building Tools |
You'll have complete automatic building tools for roof generation, framing, dimensioning, foundations, and more at your fingertips. You can even automatically generate a materials list for project cost estimating. The software includes a complete set of CAD (Computer Aided Design) tools to detail designs and Plan Check, which automatically validates the design against the most current building standards.
Top Customer Reviews
First of all, I was successful drawing 5 or 6 floor plans for my existing home and the addition. However there were some "hiccups" and problems along the way. Here is what I found:
- I gave up trying to create a roof that would look anything like what I needed to draw. This was true for my existing home as well as the roof for the addition. This was by far the biggest problem with this software--I watched various on-line "videos," looked for help in forums, etc. but I was unable to render it correctly. Big problem because I was unable to get a good 3D or elevation drawing and actually was forced to draw these views by hand (well, a ruler and pencil). The auto-generated roof function is totally useless unless you have a very simple roof structure.
- My home has walls of various thicknesses--while the software provides preselected wall types, it doesn't allow you to customize the thickness (which was a problem). So I had to use a "canned" masonry type wall (12" thick I recall) to represent a wall I have that's not masonry and about 18" thick (don't ask!). If you have a newer home with "standard" walls, then you probably won't have this problem. In my case, I don't think I have any "standard" walls (home is relatively old).
- Button layout is confusing--they would be better off following typical "Windows" layout. Easy to forget what the icons represent.
- I tried to use this software to lay out a garden--however I literally couldn't find any of the plants I'm growing in their library. I understand there's an optional product can purchase (which I didn't), but they really should provide a better "basic" choice of plants.
- Very difficult to add dimension lines--it's difficult to explain unless you try to use it. For example, you "drag" across an area you want to add a dimension line...it invariably sets one of the points to the middle of a wall--which isn't what you want if you want the interior dimension of a room. They don't provide a simple way to click on two "spots" and produce a dimension line. If a dimension line sits inside of a wall, it's very difficult to select it...on several occasions I was forced to delete the wall because I couldn't select and move the dimension line out of the way. There's an alt-click (I recall) method to select overlapping objects, but it sometimes just doesn't work.
- Sometimes, no matter what I did, I could not get a precisely sized object (like a wall's length). They have a "nudge" tool for precise sizing that doesn't work on all objects. Software has a propensity to "snap" to grids or other objects which can be really annoying. You can disable it, but it's hidden in some menu somewhere.
And so on-- there were many other minor irritations that I worked through. The bottom line (sic) is that I was able to get most of the layouts done (except anything that would show a roof)--but I had to "fight" the software in order to do it.
The only annoyances are relatively small:
One drawback is that you can only edit the dimensions of walls by "dragging and dropping". It would be nicer if you could just type in a wall length (you can dimension other components this way... i.e. cabinets). One other similar drawback is you can't define relative dimensions; i.e. I dimensioned my master bedroom and closets... then realized I had an error in the dimensions of the adjacent room (shared a common wall). When I moved that wall, there was no way to shift the entire master bedroom with it... so I had to go through and shift each wall / dimension manually.
All in all a very great product... and very addicting. Another bonus is that you can go online and find websites with expanded libraries of components (furniture, brand name paint colors, wall paper, flooring, etc.) [...]
Full door base cabinets are not available. I could not make a counter overhang that extended from a corner base cabinet as the backsplash was automatic on the corner base unit. I couldn't get rid of the backsplash without getting rid of the cabinet. Also, drawer base cabinets are limited. I wanted to use a three-drawer cabinet base unit but only a bread drawer base with four drawers was available. Materials are limited for interior walls. No tongue and groove for wainscot.
Although this review applies to an older version of the product (I can only assume that the newer versions are even better), I used this software to design a total basement finishing job - every detail from framing the space to placement of electrical and plumbing, to placing and sizing key furniture elements (like a pool table) into the finished space. I used the printed drawings to give to the contractors and trades doing the work, and they were thrilled. Once the complete job was finished, you can take the printed version from Home Designer and it is virtually identical to the finished space! That paid for itself many times over!!