Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Better Homes and Gardens
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Subscription Length: 1 year|Change
Price:$5.99+ Free shipping

on April 7, 2010
I purchased a one year subscription to BHG in December 2008, because they offered me a great deal while I was looking for a recipe online. After receiving about two months of my subscription, they started billing me for the next full year. Four months away from my renewal date, they informed me they had renewed me "for my convenience" and would be charging my debit card. I promptly canceled my subscription online in November 2009 (would run out in March 2010). From that point on, I received continual bills with threatening implications, like "account overdue" and "pay immediately." All my account information online stated my subscription was canceled and I owed nothing. The bills continued to escalate until in Feb. 2010, I searched high and low online to find a phone number to call. I was informed that the subscription department did not receive information online, and they did not know my subscription was canceled (likely story). I was informed that NOW they would cancel my subscription. OK, I'm finally done with these people. WRONG!!! Today, I get a threatening e-mail saying my account is past due, and pay my bill immediately. When I go online, my subscription is canceled, I owe nothing, I have no subscription activity. What a racket! I will NEVER, as long as I live, subscribe to this magazine again. I'm tired of the bait and switch, shady accounting, and threatening tactics toward a customer who paid their bill on time, and would have renewed if treated with some basic courtesy and respect. BHG, I am SO done with you!
99 comments| 265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2002
I have been a fan and subscriber of bhg for years, but the advertising has increased to the point of excess. I took the time to actually count the ads in the last two issues. They totaled more that 62% of the magazine, and that didn't include the postcard inserts or bhg's advertising of exclusive products. I'm tired of wading through all of the ads trying to find the magazine. I'm cancelling my subscription in favor of magazines with less advertising and better layout.
77 comments| 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2010
I purchased a 1 yr. subscription to this magazine. After a year i decided not to renew my subscription because not usable content and over advertisements. After returning a bill marked "Do Not Renew",I am being hounded with past due notices!!! Today ,i sent a letter restating my request by certified mail.Maybe this will get someone's attention!!! I also told them i was writing this review on Amazon & sending a copy of the letter to my local BBB. AVOID BHG like a plague. t. Zacharenko
22 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2003
I subscribed to BHG from their website and ended up subscribing to an additional year. The articles are helpful to a degree but the layout of this magazine, with its overwhelming amount of advertising, takes away from any good points. I've found the style to be choppy and very difficult to read because of the ads. It's hard to tell how long an article is or where it starts. I rarely find anything I'd want to save. Overall a disappointment.
on August 8, 2011
We got these magazines because of the big name attached to it. I thumbed through the magazine and never found any articles. The only thing in it were ads.
I get better information through gardening/decorating blogs and definitely better service as people help each other on these sites. A huge waste.
on June 14, 2012
I've always enjoyed this magazine although it's nothing like it used to be.
When my last subscription expired, they continued to send me invoices stating "past due",
etc., but the icing on the cake was when they called me on Christmas Eve this past
year to try and get me to renew.....REALLY..... are they that desperate for business???
on November 22, 2011
I have been a subscriber to this magazine for a few years (probably 4 or 5). It has just been getting worse and worse with ads. I feel like there is really nothing worth while in this magazine anymore and will be canceling my subscription. You might as well just go to their website and look around, you will find more than in the actual magazine. Everything in the magazine tells you to go on their website for the recipe, or instructions on how to make the craft they show a picture of, etc. Very disappointing! How about people who do not have instant access to the internet???
on January 13, 2012
I have been a 25 year subscriber of Better Homes and Gardens and recently tried to use their digital edition for iPad. Four months after purchasing my subscription I have yet to see a digital copy,have spend hours exchanging emails with tech support, hours on the phone between BHG and iTunes trying to get reimbursement as I get double charged every time I try to get a copy of my digital subscription, even though I am assured by BHG tech support that I will not be charged - oh and btw BHG will tell you that if you purchase through iTunes that you actually didn't purchase BHG, as if anyone would believe that iTunes gets all the money, maybe it is a different GL line for Meredith corp but the agreement to provide a purchased service is there and BHG does not provide any help at all, no refunds, no hardcopy replacement services when their digital copy doesn't work, they acknowledge that is has been a problem and tell you they will take your email address and send you an email once they get the problem resolved. Do not buy them!!!!!! Send your money elsewhere!!!
on February 26, 2012
My wife wanted a subscription to BHG magazine. After submitting online, I found the "fine print" that stated "as a convenience your subscription will be renewed automatically at the current subscription rates". I don't think so. Then, I looked at others who were more unfortunate than me and actually went through with the subscription, only to find that they were getting billed automatically, at much higher rates, almost immediately after their subscription began.

STAY AWAY FROM Better Homes and Gardens! There are better "homes" magazines out there, that do not try to take advantage of their customer base the way BHG does.
on June 21, 2010
I have a subscription to BHG. I went to the website to enter a sweepstakes. Next thing I know, I have another subscription. Can you say phishing, small print, time for a class action, deception, unethical?
Getting the subscription cancelled took over 45 minutes of my time. Don't deal with this company.