Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 14, 2013
I try them all... I have shelves full of vegan cookbooks but there are only a few that get to this level for me and it is mostly because of Chef Del's very clever use of pureed cauliflower to make sauces that turn into mayonnaise (the best I have tried yet), hollandaise, and alfredo sauce. Crazy... I never thought of using cauliflower- no fat super low calories. Just awesome. If you are following a low fat no fat Esselstyn plant based diet for heart health, etc. this will be a great edition to your library for go-to recipes. And if you are just looking for some creative, easy, well designed additions to your repertoire, this is your cookbook.
207 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on December 1, 2013
It’s hard to eat healthy if the food doesn’t taste good. Chef Del Sroufe saves us by giving us delicious recipes based on food that is good for us. Del is one of the new breed of chefs that understand what nutrition science tells us: to live a long and healthy life we need to eat whole plants and avoid not only animal products (vegan) but also avoid added oils and go light on the sugar and salt (better than vegan). Experts have found that 70% to 80% of Americans die of preventable diseases caused by their diet that includes meat, dairy and oil. Sadly most old-school chefs seem to be stuck on their training that incorporates flesh, butter, cheese, and oil into everything. Not Del.
With the superb story-telling of Glen Merzer, we learn of Del’s battle with obesity, even while on a vegan diet. Only when switching off the oils and high-sugar content foods was Del able to lose weight. And to the critics who complain that there are no calorie counts with the recipes, they are missing the point. With Del’s better-than-vegan diet, you don’t have to count anything. Good bye to the Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers style of counting and portion control which has a poor success rate. With a whole food plant-based diet, you can eat until you are comfortably full every meal and still reach your optimal weight.
I liked Chapter 2 that clearly spells out what should and shouldn’t be eaten and touches on the motivations of restaurants and the misleading nature of the FDA Daily Values. I especially appreciated Chapter 3 where Del shares his chef’s training advice on how to set up your kitchen with tools and basic food stocks.
And then there are the recipes. Wow. From basics like burgers, tacos, and pasta to more exotic dishes like curry, mushroom bourguignon, and bibimbap, this cookbook has it all. Del focuses on flavors and textures individually and in combination throughout these recipes. Outstanding. Congratulations Del and Glen for making life- and health-promoting food such a joy to eat.
144 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on December 21, 2014
At various points in my life, I've wavered back and forth between vegetarian and vegan (only to fall off the wagon because cheese!), but in the last few months after realizing I get a little sick at my stomach every time I eat meat, I made the switch to a whole foods plant-based diet, with little to no added fats. I have been astounded to realize how incredibly delicious these incredible meals have been. Del Sroufe is one of the authors of the Forks Over Knives Cookbook, which is where I started when I began changing my diet. It was eye opening to discover that one needn't saute onions and garlic in olive oil, and every recipe I made from that cookbook was a big hit. This book is just as good, and I'm looking forward to cooking my way through it. I'm one of those cooks who finds a cookbook/recipe as just a starting point-I may make it the way it's written the first time, but it will never be the same again. I get that sense of encouragement in that method from Sroufe. if you're interested in a plant based diet, this would be a great book to start with.
11 people found this helpful
on March 22, 2017
Great cookbook fo delicious meals without a lot of ingredients or fuss. We've made several and they're very good. They are also basics that you can customize to your own preferences, needs or ingredients on hand. All the goodness without the unnecessary stuff found in so many other vegan cookbooks.
4 people found this helpful
on December 21, 2016
The recipes are mostly really good, and especially the sauces are useful. But I enjoyed the introduction even more than the recipes because Del explains that being vegan is not a guarantee of healthy eating, and then he explains how to make your vegan diet healthy.
4 people found this helpful
on December 16, 2013
I rarely write a review but this cookbook deserves one. I own over 50 vegan cookbooks and this one is by far the best. I made the hummus,pesto, tomato flatbread (added jalopenos) and it disappeared in no time and won the praises of my picky husband and son. I only wish it had nutritional data. I cannot wait to try every recipe. Chef Del, thank you for these tasty low fat recipes.
26 people found this helpful
on March 15, 2014
I follow Dr Esselstyn diet and it's hard to come across vegan books with oil-free, fat free recipes. I love this book. Finally I found recipes that I can add to those in Dr. Esselstyn book. Actually these ones are even better. All of the recipes I have made so far have been not only super healthy, but also delicious. Congrats to the author for the great job. I hope he will write more books in the future. I recommend it above "My Beef With Meat", by Rip Esselstyn (Dr Esselsyn son). That one disappointed me. Even if you are not cooking oil-free you will love these recipes and feel good about it because so healthy.
8 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2014
This is a wonderful collection of recipes and I have made and enjoyed most of them. The date syrup is fantastic and so it the cauliflower mayo.My husband is especially crazy about the breakfast casserole. All of the recipes are healthy and delicious, which is not the case with all vegan/plant based cookbooks. We are long time vegans (and health nuts) and I have a large collection of cookbooks; this one will remain in the top ten favorites.
8 people found this helpful
on November 20, 2014
I love the recipes in general, though there are quite a few which call for meat substitutes, soy sauces, and soy in general. I will not be making those. Other than that, a great resource!
7 people found this helpful
on January 22, 2014
Came to veganism through Caldwell Esselstyn Jr.
I will always be grateful to Dr. Esselstyn, but his recipes are not as good as these.
Oil free, and super flavorful. Del knows cooking.
Hope you buy this if you're a vegan looking for healthy, tasty food.
23 people found this helpful