- Age Range: 8 - 12 years
- Grade Level: 4 - 6
- Hardcover: 192 pages
- Publisher: Wiley (August 8, 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9780764526343
- ISBN-13: 978-0764526343
- ASIN: 0764526340
- Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 1.1 x 7.7 inches
- Shipping Weight: 13.6 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 1,975 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #20,240 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.92 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls Hardcover – August 22, 2003
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
With more than 63 million cookbooks sold since 1950, Betty Crocker is the name readers trust for reliable recipes and great ideas. For over 75 years, Betty Crocker has provided advice to millions of Americans through cookbooks, magazines and television.
1,975 customer reviews
Review this product
Read reviews that mention
Showing 1-7 of 1,975 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I was very excited about hearing that they were going to reprint this recipe book as my original copy was completely falling apart. I had bought several on an auction site to hand down to my kids that were not in good shape. I was going to buy the new one until I went through it and found that it is a revised reproduction and not a genuine reproduction. I would have liked them to have revised it by giving the exact old recipes and writing what changes were to be made if items were no longer available.
As an object of nostalgia, I would rate it 5 stars. It looks exactly like the original, and has the same durable and convenient hardcover spiral binding that I remember. Although if you look carefully, you can tell that the cover is from a "photo of a photo," as the image isn't quite as crisp as an original would be. Also, the green glossy material used on the inside of the front & back covers was not in the original. However, everything else about the book is a perfect reproduction.
As a 21st-century cookbook for children to use, I'd probably give it only 3 stars. There is a lot about cooking that has changed in the 60 years since this book was first published:
* Our understanding of nutrition has improved significantly
* We encounter a greater variety of ingredients, especially fresh produce, in our stores
* Our food landscape has been enriched by many contributions from nearly every continent and every corner of the earth (I had definitely never heard of hummus or chiles rellenos when I used to read this book on lazy summer afternoons), and
* Rather than seeing canned/highly processed foods as exciting miracles of modern culinary technology, we now see them as the less healthy and less tasty versions of food.
This cookbook is definitely rooted in the food styles, tastes and knowledge of its mid-20th-century era.
That being said, this was a very, VERY good children's cookbook for its era. The recipes are creative, attractive, and often whimsical. There is a LOT of information for a budding cook who doesn't want to just learn a particular recipe, but actually wants to learn how to cook - such as cooking methods and terminology, types of utensils, safety guidelines. It piques the interest through extras like the illustrations (including many gorgeous full-page color glossy photos of finished recipes) and the sidebar tips from the 12 kids who were the "Junior Testers" of all the recipes in the book.
So, bottom line:
1. If you are an adult who was in love with this book as a kid, buy it.
2. If you are thinking of buying it for a child in your life today, I would say go ahead and buy it for its instructional value in the basics of cooking, but give the child a more contemporary children's cookbook at the same time.
The cover of the book I received matches the photo on the listing....but not the description. Be forewarned, this book does NOT contain the beautiful photos described in the review. In fact it contains on a very few black and "white" (the book is old) illustrations. Other than feeling a tad bit ripped off that the book is not as described, it is in great, readable condition and appears to have all of it's pages intact. Overall, especially for the price, I am pleased with my purchase. However, the Review/Description should be amended to match this particular book so as not to deceive customers.
Just received my other book which is the one in the photo for this listing. It is the 1976 (1969 copyright) Betty Crocker Cookbook with the Pie diagram on the front. This book is in remarkable condition considering it's older than I am. Very happy with this purchase. This one receives 5 stars. The seller sent exactly what was ordered.
Apparently several different books are lumped under this one photo/listing/description.