Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 68 reviews
on August 23, 2014
This recipe book has some good information on health facts from calories to a food pyramid, talks about dietary guidelines and nutrition facts which I like. It also has menus in here that can help you with diets for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. Each recipe tells you the nutrition information and calories and at the back of the book it has the calorie, fat and cholesterol content of selected food and a substitution chart and more. All that I liked.
The recipes are not written that well they list out the ingredients you add and some writing on the side that really does not step you through how to add the ingredient. I made the Campfire Mesquite Beef & Bean recipe which I think it required too much water to be added, the taste was really good but it was just not as thick as I felt it should be so next time I will be reducing the water to add and see if it turns out better.
I would say if your a good cook and just need some recipes to help you make dishes to help you reduce fat and lower your cholesterol and you don't need a lot of direction this book would work. If you need step by step instructions along with pictures this book is not for you. It only has some pictures, but it does have some good information.
Enthusiast: Cookingon November 19, 2013
It's difficult to go wrong with Betty, but somehow this cookbook is lacking in her usual products. I'm not sure where the fault lies, since the recipes are easy to put together and for the most part use ingredients usually found in the average kitchen, just that they were kind of (dare I say it?) boring. Not bad or anything, just kind of lackluster.
on January 16, 2012
I bought this because I recently had some medical issues that have made it virtually impossible to eat "normally" - I can't have more than 10 grams of fat per meal, and I am also trying to watch carb intake, so that really limits what I can and can't have. I fully expected it to be full of "low fat" or "fat free" etc products that are mostly chemicals. I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't necessarily the case.

The recipes are easy to follow and use ingredients that most people will have at home if they cook regularly. I tweak a lot of recipes because I can be a very picky eater, but I haven't found many that I have felt the need to drastically alter. If you buy this, I do not think you will be disappointed! I would definitely recommend this to those who are just starting to try to cut back on fat and cholesterol.
on May 26, 2013
There wasn't a single recipe in this book that looked the least bit appealing to me or my husband. Which is really saying something. We enjoy simple, but tasty recipes, that are easy to prepare and not overly complicated. I didn't find that in this book. So, it could be that the book just didn't fit in with my cooking style and our likes. I just wanted to be honest, that I didn't make a single one of these recipes. I gave the book 2 stars instead of 1 because it does have nice charts in the beginning that give suggestions about what foods to limit, and what foods to increase to lower cholesterol, which was the only part of the book I actually found useful.
on July 15, 2008
I'm a vegetarian and my boyfriend is a meat eater with high cholesterol and we both love this cookbook. Our favorites are the mac n' cheese, pesto, and the chicken casserole with cornbread stuffing. (The worst thing we tried was something that was even bad -- just boring.) We haven't tried the desserts yet, but I bet they'll be yummy too!
The recipes we've tried are all pretty easy (I'm no chef!) and the ingredients are normal stuff you can buy at a regular grocery store. Everything we've tried tastes good in its own right -- not like, this is good for being lowfat. It's actually good.
Most important, it's great that we can literally trying anything in this cookbook and know that it's heart healthy and might even help us lose weight.

UPDATE: I made the chocolate cake, which is good for being low fat, but definitely not as good as the real deal. The pumpkin pie is quite good. It tastes just like regular pumpkin pie, just w/o a crust.
on May 23, 2002
My husband and I have both recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol and could both lose some weight. I purchased this cookbook from Amazon.com and have been trying each of the recipes. I have been very highly surprised, thinking that if it was low-fat or low-cholesterol, I would have to saccrifice taste in my cooking. Not so. This cookbook offers wonderfully, easy recipes which are so delicious. It offers nutrition info on each recipe, as well as the time it will take to cook the meal (most under 30 minutes). Every recipe we've tried (and we're going to try them all) has been great. My husband doesn't even notice that it's healthy! The recipes are also very simple to make. I go through the book and make my shopping list from the ingredients of the recipes I want to put on my menu for the week. Some of our favorites have been: The Cajun Mustard Pork Chops, Hearty Beef and Veggies, and Lemon Dill Shrimp. You'll be happy if you get this recipe book.
on June 5, 2013
My husband was recently told he has high cholesterol and so we needed to start introducing low fat food into our diets. I spent a lot of time asking around for recipes and trying different cook books. This is the best one I have found. The recipes are very simple and use basic ingredients found in your pantry. Its low fat cooking so its not like you're going to be cooking fabulous flavorful foods here so be aware of that but the recipes are the easiest to make and best tasting ones that I have found. And it has a lot of good health and diet information as well to help you learn more about low fat eating. I would recommend this cookbook.
on January 13, 2007
I was recently diagnosed with the "lower it or we're putting you on medicine" type of cholesterol so along with internet research, I bought this book. I'm a big fan of cooking and this has a TON of great ideas for cooking. I was surprised that things I thought were on the "no no" list were listed in several of the recipes as partial ingredients. I was very excited to learn I could still have cheese (in moderation!)

The book categorizes all of the recipes with "low calorie" "low fat" and "low cholesterol." While not every recipe is all three there is enough variety that if you're in the mood for a little cholesterol, there's a recipe that's low cal and low fat to satisfy you (and vice-versa). It also gives you pictuers for things you're not exactly sure about -- like just how peaked the egg whites need to be when making meringue.
on May 6, 2011
I needed to find a low cholesterol cookbook so that I could start amending my diet. I thought that this would be a nice start because it is a Betty Crocker cookbook. I would say that about half of the recipes I have tried so far are tasty. The other half are downright awful. The reference section is thorough and helpful. The pictures are large and colorful, a good guide to what the end results should be. We have had the most success with the breakfast section, and the least success with anything that includes pasta. Since my family already loves wheat pasta, this section should not have been such a problem. Overall, the cookbook will stay in the collection, but from now on I will be very picky about which recipes I choose from for family dinners.
on April 20, 2013
It is a great cookbook... the food pictures look yummy....I cannot wait to get started with it... one thing I did notice while skimming the intro was that the food pyramid is already out of date.. but not too old... I really like the menu plans in the back, listing a weeks worth of great ideas.... Being a student on a budget with my galbladder just taken out this should help.....I just hope the food in the store isn't to expensive for ingredients, however, when it says smoked salmon, artichoke hearts and the like, I am sure canned could be a good substitution... thanks