Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Beware, author not responding well to criticism

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2006, 10:18:01 PM PDT
brad says:
Andy Budd, author of this book, has used Amazon's "Invite a Friend" feature to send me an abusive email regarding my review of his book, which I gave a 3/5. If you are going to post a negative review of this book, use Amazon's features to obscure your identity.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006, 2:32:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2006, 2:37:27 AM PDT
Hmm, I don't know Andy but regarding to what I've read on the web he seems to be a nice person. Could you tell us more about what think of as "abusive"?
I really think of some misunderstanding here... but, hmmm..

Regarding _your_ review: I second some of your statements. Especially copy-n-paste css code is much easier to find with google. But I'm working with CSS for quite a while now and have done a lot of standards compliant websites using css and found CSS Mastery to be a solid book about extended basics which I found extremely useful. I don't think an author should have a problem with critics like yours as it's like comparing apples and oranges in the end.

In general I liked to have some latest CSS tips alltogether in one fine book that I could read on the couch on a rainy sunday afternoon.

Sometimes I think it would be great if amazons reviews were more like threaded discussions, so that authors could reply to critics immediately.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006, 9:14:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2006, 9:18:47 PM PDT
R. Hill says:
[Sometimes I think it would be great if amazons reviews were more like threaded discussions, so that authors could reply to critics immediately.]

I don't think so. Actually I always find it strange and sometimes appalling that authors shall respond to any review on Amazon. Authors might want to clarify some points, but even then, I question ??!!

I haven't written a review here yet, but I must say it is a turn off when authors come in to "defend" their books. I have found several examples lately of books that get extremely good ratings (more than 4 starts and a half) and get reviews by their authors who want to reply to one or two reviewers who are lukewarm. Get a grip ! (@ to authors who create reviews to talk back "at" reviewers.)

If I were to receive an e-mail from an author because I did not give the review he thinks he deserves for his book, I'd be shocked.

Thanks for the first commenter in this thread (Unknown Comic).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2006, 5:40:17 PM PDT
D. Anderson says:
Seems to me that if the actual Andy Budd were to reply to an Amazon review it would be at amazon.co.uk since he is from the UK. It seems all to easy to spoof identity on the net. If I got an abusive response from a professional author who has had nothing but success from this book I'd be skeptical of the authenticity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2007, 10:18:18 AM PST
Paul Blondé says:
Well, first off, if the review were on https://amazon.com, not amazon.co.uk, wouldn't it be a bit pointless to post any kind of reply on the latter?

Secondly, is there not some way to validate, through Amazon, whether a reply was authentically from the author of the book and not some imposter?

Regardless, the book has to stand on its own and any defense (or defensiveness) displayed by the author, if it is genuinely from the author, is largely irrelevant. This goes for any book, publication, statement, paper, document or other product of its creator.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013, 3:49:32 PM PST
S. P. N. says:
As a newbie author who has had to learn that shouting on the phone is not the way to conduct business, I think some people are predisposed to be judgemental.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 1, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about