Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on March 28, 2011
First things first, I was lucky enough to be in a class taught by the author, so while I may appear biased- I'm no fool. Now, on to the review: Most people will have to really have an open mind in reading this. What it calls for us to do at work is the opposite of what so many of us are used to doing. Having an open heart and mind to really get to know those around you so that you can you can develop a proper working relationship is more work and can be awkward at first for many of us...BUT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE. If you want to be able to tell your boss he/she's making a mistake or have your subordinates let you know before you make a blunder, then this is the book for you. It's amazing how much BS gets spouted at the office, and we all know it's more hurtful than harmful...yet we can't stop. Well, you can stop if you have the tools and techniques, which is exactly what you'll get from this book.
on June 18, 2012
I didn't find this book useful. The book rehashed a lot of old platitudes that you've probably heard before:
1) sentiment that everyone lives in a "different reality". (Ignoring the obvious epistemilogical and practical difficulties of that attitude.)
2) build relationships with people
3) Dale Carnegie-esque tips on showing interest in other people's personal lives. (If I had the time to chat with everyone about their personal lives beyond a superficial level, how would I have time to get stuff done)
4) try to find win-win situations
5) Freudian pop-psycholgy... is this person sensitive to this issue because of how he was raised (this sort of pop psychology doesn't really help get stuff done)

I also dislike that the book--or rather I should use "I-speak" technique :). "How I see it is that" the author's thoughts are largely unprocessed, academic, and with endless exceptions. He says BS is bad, but BS is also necessary, consider X, Y, Z, ... and be very context-specific about what level of BS to use. He makes splits hairs about pedantic definitions of straight-talk vs. candor vs. truth telling vs. truth-finding--after wading through these paragraphs there is no payoff in practical terms for this exercise.

If you're looking for something practical or useful it's not here. If you want to sound cool around the academic water cooler this may do the trick.
on April 30, 2013
Hope every manager will read it. It tells you how important the straight talking and how it can improve the efficiency of the company.