- Paperback: 202 pages
- Publisher: Broadway Books; 1st Edition edition (November 7, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0609805363
- ISBN-13: 978-0609805367
- Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 0.5 x 8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 4.8 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 174 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #133,773 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Beyond Civilization: Humanity's Next Great Adventure 1st Edition Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Inside Flap
In Beyond Civilization, Daniel Quinn thinks the unthinkable. We all know there's no one right way to build a bicycle, no one right way to design an automobile, no one right way to make a pair of shoes, but we're convinced that there must be only one right way to live -- and the one we have is it, no matter what.
Beyond Civilization makes practical sense of the vision of Daniel Quinn's best-selling novel Ishmael. Examining ancient civilizations such as the Maya and the Olmec, as well as modern-day microcosms of alternative living like circus societies, Quinn guides us on a quest for a new model for society, one that is forward-thinking and encourages diversity instead of suppressing it. Beyond Civilization is not about a "New World Order" but a "New Personal World Order" that would allow people to assert control over their own destiny and grant them the freedom to create their own way of life right now -- not in some distant utopian future.
From the Back Cover
"Beyond Civilization is the most solid, real, practical, and you-can-really-do-it book you'll ever find on how to save the world. Daniel Quinn has again proven he is one of our century's greatest and most insightful thinkers. The re-tribalization of the world: what an extraordinary possibility!"
-- Thom Hartmann, author of The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight
"As always with Quinn, his argument is crystalline and reads like a thriller. He shows us that getting 'beyond' the mess of civilization doesn't mean changing human nature or setting off a revolution. We need only breathe new life into an ancient human strategy for survival. Quinn's plan is inspiring and devilishly clever."
-- John Briggs, author of Seven Life Lessons of Chaos
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Fix the system we are in by adapting it and redirecting it. Unfortunately all large civilizations have failed to do in order for it to survive before so there is no expectation or evidence we can or will do any better this time.
2. Leave the system that is failing and create new, smaller, tighter localized communities that share a common value set and form new cultures. In the simplest terms, eventually a mass of people will "walk away" from what doesn't work regardless of laws or obstacles put in the way by authorities. At that point, the system fails, and many new ones will spring up just as they always have because that is what works.
It is an easy read in a Q and A style format and my copy is jammed full of sticky notes for references. Ishmael changed my world perspective and Beyond Civilization cemented the new ideas together.
A good snack of a book.