- File Size: 582 KB
- Print Length: 354 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Cliffs Edge Books (January 15, 2010)
- Publication Date: January 15, 2010
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0034XSA2A
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,879,931 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Beyond the Comfort Zone Kindle Edition
This month's Book With Buzz: "The Lying Game" by Ruth Ware
From the instant New York Times bestselling author of blockbuster thrillers "In a Dark, Dark Wood" and "The Woman in Cabin 10" comes Ruth Ware’s chilling new novel, "The Lying Game." See more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Jim, as the author is referred in the book, was born in Northwich in 1961. He describes how he went from an unknown saxophone player to one who played for famous bands like Bros and Take That, But after years of playing and after opening his own production company, he decided he wanted a change, to go on adventures he had read about on NatGeo magazines. The first 50 pages or so describes his life before and during his music career. Although I had never heard of this musician or even the bands Bros and Take That (I don't listen to Western music a lot), I was never bored. It was an entertaining tale.
In 2002, he finds himself in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I would have loved to know why he decided on this particular place and what was he really planning to do there. But seems like that was exactly what he was planning, to NOT do anything, probably just experience a new place. He meets many people along the way, foreigners as well as the local people. Franco was one of those guys.
Franco and Jim, armed with a hidden video camera just for the sake of fun and possibly coming away with something explosive, go to a Burmese village along the Thailand-Burma (Myanmar) Border. They find themselves wanting to capture something of importance, something that would capture the child prostitution that is so ripe in Thailand and that particular region. They come away with some footage which turns out to be very rare and before they know they are pulled into something much larger than they had anticipated.
Beyond The Comfort Zone was thrilling and entertaining. It was also sad because it was real. It made me angry and sad for the hundreds of children who are trafficked for prostitution every year. The author describes daily life in Thailand, not necessary from a locals point of view but not from a tourists viewpoint either. At times I did not want to read about Franco's and his antics but they too offer a different view of Thailand. This book does not really dwell deep into the human trafficking issue, it is mostly the authors experiences and the adventures he had along the way. The last hundred pages or so had me holding my breath waiting to know what happened. This being a memoir only adds more to that feeling. All I can say is don't judge this book by its cover. Recommended to those who like memoirs and those who like their memoirs to read like a novel.
If you are looking for an action-packed book that is well written and hard to put down, look no further.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Actors & Entertainers
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Composers & Musicians
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Travelers & Explorers
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > True Crime > Espionage
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Actors & Entertainers
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Composers & Musicians
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Travel
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > True Crime > Espionage
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Sports & Outdoors > Biographies > Adventurers & Explorers