Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

Beyond the Game: The Collected Sportswriting of Gary Smith
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 4, 2014
Radio with Cuba Gooding was the first movie I watched the full credits for to find out the source of the movie/screenplay. Discovering that Gary Smith had written the inspirational story, I had to see more of his writings and was near knocked off my feet. Example: how many people find the boxer Mike Tyson a sympathetic character? After some of his ring antics, how could I? Gary Smith, a senior editor of Sports Illustrated, spent time with him and I began to walk a mile in his shoes. When a writer can do that, make me pause and put on another's shoes, I consider him great. I found the book engaging and mesmerizing. I am not a big sports person, but Smith made me appreciate that world and its people. I have since recommended the book to my high school sports people and got back very good reviews from them. I used it in readalouds. Likewise, good reviews.
on June 16, 2014
Gary Smith is a wonderful long form sports writers, perhaps the best at S.I. since the days of Dan Jenkins and Bud Shrake. I enjoyed revisiting this collection which appeared first in S.I., but I must admit that after a while the stories started to sound alike. Smith always goes for the emotional reversal, the unexpected turn. That's okay when you are reading him four times a year, but back to back to back in a volume on a nightly basis takes a little of the luster off. Even in writing that, I feel a little picky and too hard on such a talent. These are first-rate and are light years ahead of much of the current sports writing.
on June 4, 2014
Gary Smith has always set the standard for great sports writing.This book exemplifies his genius.Doesn't matter which sport he covers,he manages to make the story about the person not the sport.No one turns a word better than Smith.By the time you are finished with the narrative,you will know all there is to know about the subject at hand.It reads like fiction but it's all real life.Wish the book had been longer because I can't get enough of his craft.Superb !!!
on October 20, 2014
Mr. Gary Smith in my opinion is the greatest sports feature writer of all time. Beyond the Game is a collection of some of his best work therefore the book has no weaknesses. I carry it with me on assignments (I too am a sports writer) and continue to read it for nothing more than enjoyment and inspiration.
on April 9, 2014
I originally bought the book because I heard that the movie Radio was based off of a true story. i thought the movie was cute and when I did research, this book came up and I love to read. It was a very awesome and inspirational story.
on January 8, 2018
Nice book
on December 13, 2014
Gary Smith has a unique gift of insight and a way with words that can make anyone, sports fan or not, interested in his topics he chooses. Although this book has been out for many years, it's still a compelling collection of personality profiles. Highly recommended.
on November 4, 2015
Well written and interesting to read.
on February 21, 2015
Heard about Gary Smith through Chick Klosterman. This book has an awesome collection of his best articles. He writes in a fluid manner with relevant details.
on March 13, 2015
I've given it as a gift to several friends. Great writing.