- File Size: 1581 KB
- Print Length: 463 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publication Date: November 11, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00P2FZQF2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #10,271 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
|Digital List Price:||$0.99|
Save $0.99 (100%)
Beyond the Gate: Stories from the World of The Dream Engine (Engine World) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
The book starts out with a short introduction to "Engine World", which is the world that all the stories belongs to. That gives a new reader a fair chance to get a quick grasp on the overall premise for the world, if they have no prior knowledge. The last 4 stories in the book is marked for mature readers only. There's nothing particualar explicit in those stories, but they do go a bit more into adult language and content, compared to the other stories.
On the technical side, the book is very well formatted, edited and have a nice table of contents, which makes it easy to go back and re-read the stories you'd like to dive into one more time.
After reading 23 different stories, some are bound to stand out more than others when you've finished the book. The ones that especially lingered in my mind was:
"Upon a Misty Morning" by E. W. Pierce
"My Strenght Will Ease Your Sorrow" by Paul Jenny
"The Crown Reading" by Monica Leonelle
"The Cloud" by Michael Hustleborn
These all had a very strong character based storytelling. I felt close to the characters, caring for them, wanting to know what happened to them, and not least, I'd want to read more about them if the authors should decide to expand their stories to a full novel. These are not the only ones I would want to read more about, but they stand out of the crowd like bright lights to me.
"Engine World" is treated very well in this book, and gives a glimpse into how far the range of the world can be. So many different genres and stories are told here, and I'm excited to see what will be next in the world from these authors.
Very well done!
I didn't realize until I'd downloaded this e-book that it was actually a spinoff of sorts -- not quite a sequel, but a companion volume to another novel (the aforementioned "Dream Engine"). And while the foreword of this book does explain the world to some extent, I still feel as if I've missed out on something by not having read that novel first. And as such, I was unable to finish this collection, as it felt like it was relying on me knowing the plot and characters of the first novel to understand what was going on.
Consider this not so much a review of the entire book, but a warning. Before purchasing this book, I HIGHLY recommend you read "The Dream Engine" first. Otherwise you're probably going to be just as lost as I was. And while some might claim this book stands alone, I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something by reading "Beyond the Gate" before "The Dream Engine."
The interesting part about this book is that there are lots of different people with different styles of writing, so some stories will be more appealing to readers then others. But all are good.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Books > Teen & Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Metaphysical & Visionary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Metaphysical & Visionary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult