Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

67%
33%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6 reviews
on October 23, 2014
Masterful and elucidating commentary on the "petty urbanites" of Shanghai in the 20's and 30's and somewhat forward. The "tome" focuses on the majority of the Shanghai "Chinese" population. Types of row houses lived in, the diversity of food stuffs and type of food vendors, living conditions, costs, transportation (among which rickshaw drivers predominate), entertainment, restaurants, markets, repairmen and all manner of social economic considerations for the vast Chinese "petty urbanites". Strong and focused piece. I wished only that it was 300 pages longer! Very illuminating book.
on May 31, 2013
I enjoyed this informative book tremendously. It jogged my memory of my childhood home, Shanghai, Paris of the East. The alleyways (lilong), where we spent so much time, were truly beyond the Neon Lights. Wonderful descriptions and photographs of street life. It filled me with nostalgia and helped me keep my focus and elevated standards when writing my own book. Hangchao Lu has written about a side of Shanghai that is little known to tourists and foreigners. Highly recommended.
Ester Benjamin Shifren, Author Hiding in a Cave of Trunks: A Prominent Jewish Family's Century in Shanghai and Internment in a WWII POW camp.
on April 22, 2015
I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't too straightforward a read with the density of specific words and descriptions. It really paints a great picture of the common people of Shanghai at the time, and that was something I appreciated above all the typical historical descriptions of Shanghai that I have read before.