Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 13, 2016
This is one of the most amazing films I have ever watched. This is John Boorman at his best. Twenty years later, the movie has become a classic (although it seems that the critiques were initially not that good: the critics were not happy with the story, which however makes perfect sense). Above all, beyond the bewitching views of the country, there is an exceptional construct. Think of the role of the river, which comes back at various times and with various meanings. Think of the cloths and the way they are used. Arquette is more than perfect, and Zimmer's music is mesmerizing. If you add that the movie helped people to understand what was really happening in Burma, and thus had a direct political impact, what else would you want?
on May 3, 2016
I love this movie. I only saw it once years ago and so I forgot the title. I accidentally ran across the movie on YouTube and so I had to see if Amazon had it on line. The movie is not new, but the politics are very current. I live in the largest community in the U.S. where there is a large refugee population of Burmese, Karen and Kerreni peoples from worn torn Myanmar. Somehow when dramatic movies are based on a true story is more personal to me. An American woman who goes to Burma because of a traumatic life experience becomes thrown in prison and eventually is released. Without giving too much of the story away, it will give you another perspective of how precious life really is regardless of ones circumstances.
on January 5, 2015
This is a fine character transformation film with Arquette playing a widow unable to cope with her grief following the murder of her husband. Accepting the advice of her sister, she agrees to go with her on a tour of the Orient. In Rangoon late one night she watches Aung San Suu Kyi courageously face down a squad of soldiers attempting to stop her from reaching her people to address them. This changes her, and when she becomes embroiled with her guide, who turns out to be a dissident former professor who has to flee from the authorities, she casts her lot with him and the students. Well worth watching.
review image
on December 19, 2016
Sad but excellent entertainment
on October 10, 2015
This was the first movie ever attempted about Burma, and I admire John Boorman's courage to present the story with grace, compassion and truth. I have watched every movie about Burma and Aung San Suu Kyi since and even showed Beyond Rangoon to crowds of people at peace conferences.
I was able to meet the Lady when she was in San Francisco and attended a book review by Rene Pederson here in Dallas, called "Burma Spring".
We have a large contingent of Burmese here in Dallas now and many other cities. All started by the movie Beyond Rangoon.
on May 13, 2016
Beyond Rangoon is one of my favorite go-to movies. Although fictional regarding the story of the American physician on tour in the country, the fact that it brings to light the terrible state of affairs Myanmar endured under military rule - even though the citizenry had elected San Suu Kyi as president - is indisputable. It's a well-told story, having intensity and resolution.
on January 27, 2011
Beyond Ragoon, I believe, is a very accurate account of what is really going on in Myanmar or Burma. The International Community and most countries of the world choose to ignore the atrocities of Burma which have been going on for years. I have visited Burma 3 times and on two of those occasions was able to see first hand some of the effects of the Burmese attempt to abuse the Karens of Burma. The children are so affected by what has transpired from the constant threat of the Burmese Army entering their villages and spreading devastation. I believe this DVD depicts the true situation of what the Karens of Burma face day to day in their fight for survival and justice. Both the United Nations and the United States need to do much more in assisting the Karen population.
3 helpful votes
on September 1, 2015
Good movie, sad situation how a peaceful and loving people can be so suppressed by power Hungary government.
In the end everyone looses. I was in Thailand just over the mountain from Burma during this time when the Burmese military was shelling mountain villages.
The Burmese people had taken some doctors and nurses,in a stolen helicopter from a Thailand hospital to help the wounded
on March 20, 2008
It is a shame this movie has not been released in DVD. I constantly recommend it to my friends and they are still unable to get access to it through Blockbuster or Netflix. This is an excellent movie that helps one realize what is truly important in life. There is a line in the movie based on an Asian proverb, "Suffering is the one promise life keeps and if happiness comes it is a precious gift, which is ours only for a brief time". I found this line to be quite enlightening and I think of it when I have to deal with something I find very difficult. Everytime one of my friends is facing something they find overwhelming in their life, I always tell them to watch this movie and they will regain perspective on the situation at hand. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, they can't get it from a video rental place. So I bought a VHS copy on Amazon just to lend out to friends in need of viewing it. It really is a great movie, which unfortunately did not get the recognition it derserved. I hope many others are motivated to watch it.
on May 30, 2015
By no means a perfect film, Patricia Arquette is lovely and in fine form. While tears are jerked here in somewhat hackneyed ways, people who have traveled to Burma (I have) recognize ugly truths as accurately depicted, and as valid now as they were 20 years ago. People with an interest in Southeast Asian culture, politics and history would do well to see this film.