Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 5, 2017
This book is a primer on what good food is, from choosing the perfect peach to the different types of olive oil. It includes great recipes, too. This book will always be on my phone's kindle app so that I have it as a reference when I go to grocery stores and farmers markets. It's also a pretty book, designed well.
on May 25, 2017
We LOVE this book! We found it at an Air BnB and couldn't put it down so I bought it.
It goes into a lot of detail about different ingredients, how to purchase and store them and more delicious information you probably wouldn't think of concerning nutrition.
on January 12, 2013
This book is an absolutely wonderful resource. There are explanations of how to buy, store, cook, and use each food product (beans, citrus, meat, everything!). I love all the information the authors give. They don't also give a ton of detail at times, but enough for you to understand. For example, they don't fully break down the different cocoa percentages in chocolate and they names those percentages correspond to, but they do explain enough that the reader can pay attention when shopping. I am trying to buy new foods/produce I haven't before, so this book gives me ideas of what to try and how to the best grapefruit, etc. Exactly what I wanted!

There are also many recipes throughout the book located at the end of each section, so that the recipes are related to the topics just discussed. The Produce section is broken down into seasons, and Butcher Counter (meat) section is broken down into animals, etc. Some recipe examples: white bean puree with prosciutto crespelle, delfina's spaghetti, chocolate sour cream bundt cake with chocolate glaze, butternut squash latkes, delicata squash salad with fingerling potatoes and pomegranate seeds, etc. I have yet to make any of the recipes, but I have starred many. I mainly bought the book as a shopping resource. There is a helpful index for looking for recipes.

Overall AMAZING purchase! I highly recommend the book.
VINE VOICEon April 21, 2012
I love Bi-Rite Market and so I totally expected to love the book too. It is beautifully presented and well written and a pleasure to read. with comments on food and and 90 recipes. It is a very useful book no matter how or where you shop. Hints and pointers on fruit, veggies, sandwiches, desserts, dairy, meat etc.. I learned many new things just thumbing through it as soon as it arrived. It is an encyclopedia of food. You will be referring to it again and again as I do, or just pursuing it for new information and the sheer delight of reading about good food.

The recipes have pictures and very clear instructions and an explanation of the ingredients.

I like that it also includes information on farmers and the origin of some of their products.

It contains many clear and beautiful pictures. This is a heavy book - that's how much excellent information is in it. It would make a much appreciated gift and I intend to buy several more for friends.

If you ever are in San Francisco, make an effort to visit the market ... hard parking and always crowded and can be expensive, but hey it's only money - what better way to spend it than on fabulous food and the best smoked salmon this side of New York. We think it surpasses Zabar's.
on October 1, 2012
I have never written a product review for anything before, ever, but I feel compelled to share with you how incredible this book is! Food is so important. From how/where you shop and prepare food to the health and welfare of the farmers, ranchers, pickers, and animals that your food is coming from - every step is vitally, astoundingly important. You can change the world by changing the way you think about food. If only I lived in San Francisco and had a limitless grocery budget! This book, however, makes grocery shopping easy and good food accessible to everyone, no matter where you are. It deserves a place in every kitchen. Beautiful layout & illustrations. Discusses every department of your grocery store, what to shop for, how to store/prepare ingredients, everything! It is a very comprehensive guide. I am reading it like a novel, but I will have it to reference always, and am drooling over these recipes. BUY THIS BOOK!
on December 22, 2016
Wonderful recipes. Book is in good shape.
on October 24, 2011
There are many things to appreciate about this book, and "getting to know" the vendors is one of those things. I will never buy artisanal grocery items again without thinking about who produced them, where and why. That concept takes the consumption of such foods to a whole new level of enjoyment...from mindless eating to true appreciation. Thank you, Sam and Dabney, for sharing the world of Bi-Rite with readers all over the country.
on August 4, 2017
Everyone should own a copy of this book
on June 9, 2013
This book gives excellent advice on how to buy, how to store, and how to prepare food. Eat Good Food is also entertaining for the story of the market, and the recipes are great. If you are in San Francisco, this is a must see place. I live in Los Angeles but visit San Francisco regularly -- just with I had a Bi-Rite Market within walking distance of my house!
on October 27, 2013
We've been participating in a CSA through our local farmers market. This book has become a fantastic companion to the veggies we've enjoyed this year. While the Bi-Rite Market is in California, there was plenty of great, usable information for this Midwestern girl.