Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,764 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,271 reviews
on November 13, 2015
I started off with the 3-cup and quickly ordered the 6-cup as well. After a bit of trial and error I have my process down. And when you get the process down and can start truly enjoying your coffee ritual, you will be amazed by the wonderful aroma that escapes just before the coffee begins to stream out. It fills the house.

I have become a bit of a Bialetti junkie now. I've won an auction for some Bialetti espresso cups and just won an auction for a 9-cup with a set of espresso cups and saucers and a creamer and sugar bowl. And (hangs head in shame) I'm here buying a 12-cup. I haven't slept in months. Help me.
review image
1111 comments| 343 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
Love my Bialetti !
This is my preferred method of making coffee these days and it is great with milk, added water or straight up. Here are some tips after using it for a few months.

1 - Use cold water, don't take a short cut with warmer water.

2 - Small flame is best, take your time.

3 - Grind the coffee slightly coarser than an espresso grind. Too coarse and the water will pass through too quickly. Use freshly ground beans. (A ceramic burr hand grinder is cheap and works great)

4 - Tamping - definitely do not tamp with 30 pounds of pressure and a twist...but do pack it in a bit with your thumb or the palm of your hand. The trick is to achieve an oozing of the coffee through the top, not a gushing flow. Experiment but be careful not to tamp too hard. The grind also plays a factor here.

5 - keep lid open while brewing. This way you can monitor the process (set a timer for 5-6 minutes or just stick around)and see when coffee is ready.

6 - Enjoy. You have just made amazing coffee!
review image
22 comments| 412 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2015
I own three Bialetti moka pots (6 cup, 3 cup, and 1 cup). I've been using them exclusively to brew my morning coffee for the last two years. The 3 cup is the one I use most frequently, as it is enough to make two strong servings of coffee for me. The 1-cup is very tiny, tinier than I expected it would be. I use it for an afternoon pick-me-up because it's just enough to wake me up, but not enough to keep me up all night. I dilute the coffee with steamed milk. I've tried hot water, but didn't care for it as much. There are a lot of very informative reviews on this moka pot, so I'm not going to repeat what others have already stated regarding brewing techniques, cleaning, types of coffee beans, etc. There is a little bit of a technique to the brewing process, but don't be intimidated by some of the crazy videos online. It's not that hard and doesn't have to be as involved as some tutorials make it seem. I've used the moka pots on gas stoves and electric glass cooktops and it works perfectly on both. As others have said, make sure the handle is not directly over the heat or it will melt.

One thing I didn't realize when I purchased my first moka pot (6-cup) was that you cannot brew half a pot. You have to fill the chamber up entirely with grounds or it won't work. That is why I ended up purchasing a smaller pot because the 6-cup was too much coffee for me to drink in one day.

Bottom line: If you enjoy strong coffee and you're brewing for one person, I'd recommend the 3-cup. If you're brewing for two, get the 6-cup. You won't regret it!
review image
11 comment| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2016
I purchased the 6-Cup Bialetti Espresso maker. I found that the 3 cup Bialetti Espresso maker I purchased several months ago was too small. The 6 cup maker brews two mugs of coffee which is about 10 ounces each. I add some cream or milk to get the perfect cup of coffee. The coffee maker is easy to use as follows:
1) Rinse it out with plain water before the first use and after each subsequent use. DO NOT ever put it in the dishwasher! It will cause the aluminum to turn gray.
2) Make a weak brew of coffee and discard. This will "season" the brewer.
3) Fill the filter with ground coffee and level off, do not tamp it down.
4) Fill the reservoir with cold tap water and put the filter in. Then just screw on the upper half and put it on the stove.
5) Use a medium to low heat (do not use high heat as it may burn the handle, damage the rubber seal and the high heat would produce a less than desirable coffee) under the brewer and close the lid. It will take about 6 to 8 minutes for the water to begin to boil.
6) When the water in the reservoir starts to boil the steam will propel it up through the ground coffee and into the upper reservoir. There will be a gurgling sound. Turn the heat down to low and wait for the water to fill the upper reservoir.
7) When the sound gets loud it means the bottom reservoir is empty and then turn off the heat. Can also check this by carefully opening the top and watching for when the top reservoir is full.
8) Be carful pouring the coffee - it is really hot! Enjoy!

I have found that just about any medium ground quality coffee will make good coffee in this pot. Just be sure the beans are fresh.

The machine should be rinsed with plain water after each use (I use a paper towel to wipe it down). No need to use soap and never put it in the dishwasher. The only part of the brewer that may need replacing is the rubber gasket. Other than that, this is an easy to use brewer that requires minimal maintenance.
on June 22, 2015
I bought this one because it is made in Italy. I was looking for stainless steel, but those are not made in Italy, mostly are made in India. I wanted something more authentic. It quickly turned out to be a bad purchase just after a few uses. The water chamber got a lot of corrosion of aluminum (please check out the attached photos). I use plain water to rinse the coffee maker and wipe dry. Some reviews mention that there are a lot of counterfeits of this coffee maker. So I made sure that mine was purchased from and shipped by Amazon LLC whom I trust. I stopped using it for fear of health implication.
review image review image review image review image
1717 comments| 300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2016
It takes 5-1/2 minutes on my electric stove to make about 14 ounces of coffee. Suggestions: To keep the elastic rings from aging prematurely, wash the pot after every use. To get bits of ground coffee slightly embedded in the gasket, use a wood or bamboo chopstick to 'scrub' it clean. As for 'buildup' in the bottom if you have very hard water, boiling some vinegar from time to time is helpful (rinse well before making coffee, of course). This is a replacement for my ancient -- identical pot. After several years expect the aluminum 'insert' that actually holds to coffee to deform slightly and become difficult to remove -- but that's after five to 10 years of daily use.
on March 20, 2017
This was a replacement for the moka express I bought when I studied abroad 13 years ago. In my haste & new found need for caffeine (2 kids under 3), I bought a Bialetti break from the local store. It was NOT the quality I remember from my Italian purchased one which I sadly didn't entirely care for properly otherwise there's a good chance my original world still be on my stove!

The "Break" from the local store was made in China. It was flimsy. I used it a couple months but it had an unfortunate melting situation so I needed to replace it. I ordered this one through Prime and it is identical to the one I got in Italy many years ago. This one was even made in Italy. It's stronger metal and is definitely higher quality the one I could have gotten at the big box store.

It's been working perfectly. I love it. THIS is Italian coffee.
on March 24, 2017
Made a great cup of coffee first few times. It is very difficult to keep clean, as you cannot use soap because it will be absorbed into the aluminium. So you must be very careful to rinse and DRY! If you fail to dry it, then the typical slime will form with the only way to really be assured it is clean is to run a few batches of steam water through it. Next are the 2 REAL DEAL BREAKERS. 1. After a month of use the aluminium is severely corroding and of course all of that is going into my coffee. With what is known today about aluminium cookware this product should not be used. 2. You need to know that the return window on this product is only 30 days, so for me I'm stuck with it. Do yourself a favor and purchase the Stainless Steel version right from the start.
on April 12, 2016
We needed something sturdier than a French press for camping. We do not like percolated coffee, and I remembered getting a small one of these from an old roommate years and years ago. I was so happy to find the Bialetti Moka Express! We bought the 12 cup size. I'm not sure how they figure "cups," because this basically makes me & my husband a 12 oz. coffee each. It might be measured in espresso cups, but after watching the "how to" videos on youtube, it was stated over and over that this is not supposed to be espresso, so I don't know.
Regardless, we grind our own coffee, so we ground up some Dark Roast to a medium coarseness, filled up the ground cup and smoothed it off without tamping it down. We filled up the bottom reservoir just past the fill line (don't fill past the pressure release valve), then put it all together. We had to use some minor force to screw it tight enough to seal it. This is important, as you do not want hot water steaming out of the threads when it starts brewing (happened on our first attempt). You do need to be careful to not be too forceful and destroy the threads, also. You pretty much want the lines on the top and bottom to line up, so it looks like it does in the picture. Once it starts brewing, keep the lid closed! The coffee will sputter out of the spout, and if the lid is open, it will spray! Once you hear the bubbling stop, turn off the heat and enjoy your delicious coffee!
This is, by far, my favorite way to make coffee. It is rich and strong and dark. It only takes a few minutes once the water starts boiling, so the bitterness you get with a slower drip coffee maker is completely absent. I am going to have to get a second one for our house. After a week of camping and having this coffee every day, it was disappointing to come home to regular, drip coffee.
on March 14, 2017
I have a very small amount of counter space in an in-law unit with a tiny kitchen. I got used to an espresso machine in my last house (roommate's) but can't do that here. I only need to make a mocha for myself on weekends so this quaint little Italian item does the trick. It's super cute and I was very happy with my choice. $20 versus $300-500 for an espresso machine feels like a wise choice.

It is also so much smaller in real life and becasue of the cool retro design, it looks great just left on my stove in between uses. No extra counter space needed. :)

It's not as good as far as taste of a real espresso machine but it's the closest thing I've tasted so far. It takes awhile to get it right and I found out I was pouring too much in my mug. Ended up only using half of mixture. Much closer to taste I want now.

I played with things like temp I set the electric burner at and putting less coffee in but that doesn't really work. Follow instructions and just pour less in cup and have another cup later or don't worry about it too much. you don't use much coffee. I'm looking forward to running out of coffee believe it or not to try a more medium blend. I rinse out all three parts after each use and let it dry. I'm not sure why others pull apart the seal/gasket. Directions don't require that. It's pretty easy to clean. Good luck and enjoy!

Also love that it comes in great colors. If I had a different kitchen, I'd get a blue one probably.