Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on July 12, 2015
If you like Peter Gabriel, or World Music, you will find several real gems on this sonic work of art. Very little I don't like, and, though I don't speak Gaelic, I am emotionally engaged and moved by all of it (even words I don't understand). I guess you'd have to listen to the title track, or better yet, "Altus Silva," in order to see for yourself if this somehow resonates deep inside. It was years in the making, and almost didn't come together for release. I am gratified that this collection of artists gave so much of themselves (probably for very little gain). Three of these songs are in my personal Top 500, and my title comes from their lyrics.
on August 13, 2017
Amazing album. Full of great music from around the World, with a little help from bloke called Peter something-or-other. Even if, like me, you don't understand half the languages, just listen to the music behind the words.
on April 21, 2017
this was a great CD. ONE OF HIS BEST EVER!
on May 17, 2012
I think I agree that there are some really good and interesting songs here, packaged with others that don't engage me fully as others have said in one way or another.

Possibly it is that many of the tracks have a hard rocking treatment so that the quiet and slower tracks lose impact. I dunno.

Some of the tracks verge on the wall-of-production territory of late 70's Pink Floyd or new millennium Bryan Ferry, but I kinda like that sound. Add in Gabriel's vocals on some of those tracks and I'm sold.

I have to agree that this disc is so much more worth the cost than "Scratch My Back". This one has some life in it.
on December 15, 2016
Love the album! Would have loved them all to feature Peter but the majority of them are fantastic. Cant go wrong with this album if you love PG.
on July 17, 2008
A friend of mine who writes for Filter magazine sent me a link a few months ago to an article talking about the upcoming release of this album. It sounded interesting, but I wasn't sure I would pick it up right away. My own experiences with world music have been hit and miss.

On a whim, however, I went ahead and ordered it. Man oh man, am I ever glad I did. What a phenomenal album. I'm just finishing up my first full listen from start to finish, and it's been an incredible audible journey. Even after the first listen, I think it's already been elevated to my list of top 15 albums. Maybe even top 10. Highly recommend picking this one up!
on October 7, 2008
If I were to rate this as a pure PG album, it would not be on the top of the list, but as a Gabriel inspired and directed project I think it does quite well. The semi-consistant world drum groove in the background of most of the tunes helps provide a general consistency and vibe to the whole album. Burn You Up Burn You Down is a fun tune, as is the title "whole thing". This seems like more of an album you have on in the background than one you actively listen to (like 3, security or melt), but Gabriel fans won't be disappointed, and by the time you get to "Big Blue Ball" at the end, the album will already feel like an old favorite.
on September 29, 2008
I really enjoyed this CD. It's amazing how cohesive the disc is, given all the different time periods it was recorded in. A good idea during one session may not sound as good when you're adding to it 3 years later, but this collection contradicts that theory easily. All the tracks sound superb. I particularly like Whole Thing and the original version of Burn You Up, Burn You down. I have been a Peter Gabriel fan for decades, and I have yet to be let down by one of his releases. This is not totally a Gabriel disc, but there's enough of him on it to warrant adding it to my collection.
on June 21, 2009
I listen to a little world music, so that element of this album didn't surprise me the way it did some of its harsher reviewers here. If you really haven't heard any world music, you might give it a shot (a good first choice is Putumayo Presents Asian Lounge).

I'm not sympathetic to anyone who's shocked by chant or some unusual instrumentation on a rock album: haven't they ever heard Sgt. Pepper? (Well, if you haven't, then put this on a wish list for later and get Sgt. Pepper now. Best advice you're gonna get on Amazon.) The world music element of this album is easily overstated - or hyped, I suppose. Everything is in 4/4 time, standard modern Western scale and keys and chord progressions.

The music is pretty good. It shouldn't be a life-changing experience for anyone. I wonder what the reviewers compelled to employ multiple exclamation marks would make of, say, Dark Side of the Moon? Realistically, this album will become a trivia question pretty soon, known only to serious fans of the artists involved.

Conclusion: You won't be wasting your money or your time on this album. The songs "Exit Through You," "Everything Comes From You" (featuring Sinead O'Connor) and "Rivers" are particularly interesting, and depending on what kinds of world music you're familiar with, various other tracks (such as "Habibi") could be eye-opening.
on October 3, 2008
this collection, albeit various artists and times, is quite riveting. I couldn't get it off my CD player for weeks...Every listen warranted a new attention to each song...The one constant I've learned from Peter Gabriel, you need to listen to him with a new ear. If your expecting more of the same, your not going to get it. I've always appreciated his boldness in being a pioneer in sounds, and his honesty in sharing himself. I share in his Dream of Us being One World...Idealism at it's best.