Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Big Fat Hen
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 30, 2000
I bought this book sight unseen and absolutely love it. I'm a kinder teacher always on the prowl for books with folk stories and nursery rhymes. Big Fat hen is... 1,2 Buckle My Shoe. The illustrations are fabulous and the kids, love the rhyming. It's a popular pick in my classroom!
on January 5, 1999
Our grandson loves this book and learned to turn the pages at four months. The coloring and graphics appeal to him. Another grandmother gave it to us and she was right on target. It is the only book we've found that holds his interest and that he doesn't chew instead of read.
on January 22, 2000
This is a great first book for a child, lots of counting and things to see in the pictures if you are really paying attention. Your toddler/preschooler will love it!
on June 17, 2016
It's literally just the song "one two buckle my shoe" song. There's no "twist" or "new take on a classic" type thing. It's pretty, artsy pictures of chickens and chicks and the song. My son got bored of this book so fast.
on January 6, 2012
My toddler will have me read this book to him ten times in a row if I let him. It's one of the few books that can distract him mid-tantrum. I love that it's a rhyme from my childhood-- one, two, buckle my shoe! The book's rhythm makes it really enjoyable to read out loud. I look forward to checking out some of Keith Baker's other books!

Here's the book's complete text:

1, 2, Buckle my shoe
4, 5, 6,
All their eggs,
And all their chicks!
on August 6, 2008
Cullen of CullensAbcs.com reviews this book and gives you ideas on how to use to use it interactively with your child. For you I have more video book reviews, free children videos and free activity idea videos at the CullensAbcs.com website. If you have a children's book you would like me to review and offer ideas on how to use it interactively with children please send an email to CullensAbcs@gmail.com. Also, feel free to to add me, Cullen Wood, as a Facebook friend.
on May 15, 2014
The text is the standard "One, two, buckle my shoe" nursery rhyme that you already know. But I love this book for the illustrations. I love theplump, colorful, patterned mother hens. On each spread the hen is surrounded by either an insect (dragonfly, worm, snail, bees...), unhatched eggs, or hatched chicks that correspond with the numbers on that spread. I'm looking forward to when my son is old enough to spy the little beak that is peeking out of one of the many eggs on the "all their eggs..." spread. This book is a little, colorful, delight.
on January 26, 2013
The artwork in this book is gorgeous. My son loves to look at the colors and patterns on the hens, and I like how on each page there are two numbers, one which represents the eggs on the page, the other to represent the bugs on the page. Nice counting book with beautiful art.
This is a book that re-illustrates the old One-Two-Buckle-My-Shoe rhyme; this time with cute chicks and fanciful hens. The book begins with mama hen chasing after 1 dragon fly, while 2 eggs wait to hatch. It goes on to show two cute chicks buckling a shoe, which is really rather silly and just the sort of thing toddlers find funny. [When I read this to my son, we both laughed with glee as the cute chicks 'pick(ed) up sticks'.] The book finishes with a flurry of hatching and dozens of soft yellow chicks.

Three Stars. [C+] Lovely artwork. The familiar rhyme of One-Two-Buckle-My-Shoe is retold in a cute fashion using chickens. Suitable for a gift for babies and toddlers, it is perhaps not the best acquisition for the home shelves as there is only one poem.

Pam T~
on April 24, 1999
There are ample pictures to count on each page that match the numbers on the page. The illustrations are gorgeous and she always claps when the chicks hatch. We read it every night.