Industrial Deals Beauty Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

My Big Girl Potty
Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 9, 2016
I like that this book goes through all the steps of potty training that I wanted my daughter to learn very clearly, including washing hands, using diapers at night, not getting underwear wet, not just playing with the potty and putting it on your head like other books show (why would I want her to think thats funny??) and doesn't show that accidents are okay and no problem. When she has an accident, the dad says ' "Don't worry, all children have accidents. Next time you'll remember to go to the potty" and do you know what? She did!' which I like - it doesn't "oh, its okay!" making it seem totally fine to pee on the floor. Lots of potty training books say "it's okay", and thats not the message I want to convey. The focus is on Ashley learning herself with encouragement and feeling proud of herself for learning.
on December 26, 2013
This book has an ok story line and I thought it would help with potty training my daughter. The story follows a mom and dad, and Ashley, as Ashley receives her new potty and learns how to use it. The concept is great, but the execution is terrible. First, the pages are super thin. This is not great for a child who is young and still likes to rip pages. Second, this is VERY wordy. Instead of using shorter, easy to understand sentences, this book has a lot of writing and does not hold my daughter's attention. After attempting reading this a few times, I noticed on the back of the book that it says the reading comprehension level is AGE 4. So if your child is 4 or over, and you are still potty training, this may be a great book. For someone who is 18 months to I'd even say almost 3, this isn't that great. I also purchased the book "Big Girl Panties" by Fran Munishkin. This book was great, and was much more appropriate for 1 1/2 to 3 year olds.
on January 11, 2013
My daughter really liked this book, but I don't love everything about it. My daughter uses a big toilet with a kiddie seat on top, and the fact that this book only focuses on little kiddie potties was confusing to her. It doesn't mention that some kids might go on a big potty instead of using a little one (and dumping it into the big potty as they describe). It also suggests that the little girl only has a couple hours of potty time each day. For those of us that potty trained in one day, it made it confusing that the little girl went and picked out big girl underpants after a long while of just having diaper-less potty time a couple hours a day. I do like how it talks a bit about where the "poop" and "pee" goes after flushing it down the toilet. My daughter caught onto that and always talks about how it goes "in the pipes under the house" like the book does. I think it makes the toilet seem less mystical and scary.

All in all, it's a fine book to introduce the idea of potty training, and there will never be any one book that uses the exact same tactics you do to potty train. This one engages the child by asking questions about them while describing the little girl in the book. That really drew my daughter in, as she likes to answer the questions.
on June 14, 2017
Excellent. Great presentation. The pictures are good examples of how my granddaughter acts. She seems to like the book.
on June 27, 2016
gave great info that helped my almost 3 year old in 3 ways:
1) got her excited about the potty again
2) let her know it's ok if sometimes you sit down but you can't go
3) gave simple details about the overall process of learning to use the potty and wearing underwear

also calm my nerves about potty training because it showed how kids might respond.
on December 18, 2014
GREAT BOOK!!! I never bought anything fancy for my kids just this book, they relate to the child in the book and I chilled out a lot because the back of the book tells us parents that accidents are part of potty training so cool it when they have a mess. So take a breath, read the book and don't stress.
on November 22, 2009
This book does a nice job of illustrating and explaining to kids the very first steps in using a potty - offering encouraging words about sitting on the potty and reassuring comments from the "Mommy" and "Daddy." There are several pages that talk about trying, but not succeeding, in using the potty, and reassuring kids that this is OK - I don't know, but the concept of being anxious about not getting any pee in the potty when trying seemed lost on my kids. For parents it might be frustrating, but my 28-month-old twins have never seemed to be conflicted or stressed when they have tried to use the potty and nothing came out. This book does not really stress the pride and excitement of leaving diapers behind all-together - something that I was really looking for to help my kids WANT to take the final steps in potty training. I will have to purchase additional books to get that message across, and wouldn't recommend this book if your kids are already somewhat familiar with sitting on the potty and trying to go to the bathroom.
on January 7, 2013
We read this book several times before I began potty training my daughter, but I had to adapt the book.

If you plan on potty training and not going back to diapers or pull-ups, this book does not line up to your technique. In the book the character, Ashley, gets her potty, tries it out and then continues to wear diapers for most of her potty training.

With my daughter we threw out the diapers and just went with it, so in order to make the book line up with her training, I simply had to rewrite one a couple of the pages to make them go. All in all the book teaches important aspects of potty training and it was great to have a book to help prepare her for the change.
on December 3, 2015
This is a cute book that shows toddlers that there is no pressure to use the potty. I also like that it asks questions. My daughter likes it, but looses interest halfway through. I think the pictures need to be a little bit more simple and bright for a young toddler. I reviewed another "potty" book that she likes more than this one.
on February 21, 2012
Bought this book at a book store and it was a great read for my 2 year old while sitting on the pot. She likes it so much in fact that she calls it her "Ashley" book rather than her potty book. It got wet and soapy and ruined though so I had to buy another one and found it here on Amazon. I'd recommend this book to anyone. It is detailed about going pee pee and poo poo, but it also shows that accidents happen and it's okay. Along with this I bought a sticker chart and every time she at least tries to potty she gets a smiley face, but every time she actually goes, she gets a big gold star! I do highly recommend this book!