Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 124 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 177 reviews
on May 21, 2016
The first 30 minutes of this movie makes you wonder at your choice, but hang in there. This is a coming of age movie that still has meaning, set in the 1960s surfing culture. It stars Jan-Micheal Vincent (if you haven't seen him in his prime, this is the movie to watch), William Katt who gives a sterling performance along with his real mother Barbara Hale (formerly Perry Mason's secretary) and Gary Busey kind of before he became Gary Busey. It's all about parties and the waves, until graduation and the Viet Nam war. Then life becomes all too real.Two of the boys try to get out of military service (back in the days of the draft), but Katt's character goes willingly. He feels a deep responsibility to do his part. One day, the waves are coming in bigger and bigger. But it seems doubtful there will be a reunion. The surfing scenes are still epic.
on April 17, 2017
This was a really good movie. My partner is a surfer and he'd heard that this was one of the best surf movies made, and it did not disappoint. Excellent surfing footage and depictions of authentic people and locations in surfing history.

Gary Busey is so Gary Busey. The rest of the actors are good at their portrayal of a trio of surfers growing up and maturing in 1960s and 70s Southern California. The movie was made in 1978, so storylines around Vietnam and cultural shifts really resonate. My father served in Vietnam (non-combat) but we haven't really talked about it. However, some of the scenes gave me insight into what little he and my mother have both told me about that era.
on February 21, 2014
"Big Wednesday" is right up there alongside "The Endless Summer" and "Point Break" as three of my all-time favorite surfing films. This is one of several pictures featuring legendary Pipeline surfer Gerry Lopez. Gerry's always been one of my favorites because of how easy he makes riding the big waves look. Whether he's riding Gum's SandBar, surfing down the line at pipe or kicking it backdoor w/ 10+ footers; Gerry has always seemed to get more barreled on North Shore than anyone -and because of that I'm extremely jealous of him!

This DVD is no longer in print and is very difficult and expensive to find BRAND NEW. Most new copies have been opened as they were issued many years ago. As of this review, there is no Blu-Ray transfer out for this film. The DVD transfer is fantastic. I saved money buying used condition and I'm completely satisfied with it.

Got a great deal on a VERY HARD to find DVD.
on August 14, 2017
I Grew up Surfing, In Santa Barbara. at the same time this Movie takes place In the 1960's and I looked up to all the older guys.
as they taught me how to surf and I am still surfing . and nose riding. i so miss all my old friends. and every time i go home to Santa Barbara we still
go out at Rincon . and catch a few waves. Hoping to head down in Octomber. for some sweet clean and warm Point Breaks.
on April 29, 2016
I used to own this movie, lent it to someone forgot who and lost it. I haven't watched it in 10 years, but still feel confident enough in the quality of it to recommend it as a must buy, must see movie. Made before the advent of special effects and computer generated images, it is a great example of a pure movie that takes you on a journey through the lives of great characters. I remember the plot of course and am excited to see it again, experience it again, and share it with my sons. I will say it is ridiculous to buy any movie for $64, but to download it and own it for $12 is more than worth it.
on June 8, 2005
To be fair, in 1962, I was a 7 year old grom riding my skimboard on the Linda Mar California beach while my cousins longboarded. No wetsuits then-pre Jack O'Neill. Milius did an excellent job capturing that era. Sam Melton aka The Bear reminded me of my Uncle Jack Blair. Gruff, fair and experienced in all things. Every town had a trio of surfers like Leroy, Jack and Matt in those days. Probably still true but I'm the old guy on a longboard now so I wouldn't know any personally. Any surfer over 45 can relate to this movie and if anybody younger than that wants to relate to older surfers like their Dads or Uncles, they should watch this movie. My only beef was that there were no Hawaiians in the movie, only haoles. There were Hawaiians surfing in SoCal in those days, passing on the Aloha. But, that's a minor thing. Funny thing, I still dress the same, even at work as I did in those days-jeans, flip flops, tee-shirt or an aloha shirt. I guess I'm still in a Big Wednesday time warp. I hope I never leave.
on November 30, 2014
This is the best fictional surfer movie I saw so far... and my more seasoned surfer friends agree (with bit of nostalgia twinkle in their eyes.) It is a coming of age story involving three best friends, one which has potential to be a great legend (but has some serious personal demons to contend with) during the peri-Vietnam period. So far I have yet to pick up on any stupid off-the-wall "surfer" jargon comments or remarks! It's beautifully filmed with some of the most well liked actors (all very convincing.) There's some real life stuff going on here... like when they lose a close friend in the war. Must own for any film lover.
on June 14, 2017
Had never seen this one before. Excellent movie.
on April 10, 2016
I waited patiently for this movie. I saw it when it came out and absolutely loved it. I wanted my own copy so I ordered it. When I finally had time to watch it, it wouldn't play in my "region" Europe, Australia, and other countries have different technical formats on their dvd players. Soooooo, since I can't play it, I can't enjoy it. I think my USA address should have tipped the seller to contact me re this
on September 18, 2017